Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    AUG 01
    Post Thanks / Like

Default childminding co ordinator

Good Morning All.

We have recently had a new co ordinator appointed to our area. It has raised a few questions.

A childminder im close too is a few months away from retirement and when the new co ordinator called her because she wanted to come and look at all her paperwork. My friend told her that she only looks after two 8 year olds for 3 hours a week and that she is giving up very soon so no point.
    The new woman replied well if thats the case you need to give me your registration certificate. When my friend said she would return it to ofsted when the time comes new woman told her that she is effectively our boss and we have to do as she and the borough says.
    My question is can our new co ordinator make the following demands un announced visits, all childminders do their paperwork the way she wants it done. Also can the borough just turn up when they like to do visits. I have always thought that its Ofsted we answer too.

Many Thanks in advance.

Susie.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by windles View Post
    Good Morning All.

We have recently had a new co ordinator appointed to our area. It has raised a few questions.

A childminder im close too is a few months away from retirement and when the new co ordinator called her because she wanted to come and look at all her paperwork. My friend told her that she only looks after two 8 year olds for 3 hours a week and that she is giving up very soon so no point.
    The new woman replied well if thats the case you need to give me your registration certificate. When my friend said she would return it to ofsted when the time comes new woman told her that she is effectively our boss and we have to do as she and the borough says.
    My question is can our new co ordinator make the following demands un announced visits, all childminders do their paperwork the way she wants it done. Also can the borough just turn up when they like to do visits. I have always thought that its Ofsted we answer too.

Many Thanks in advance.

Susie.
    No they can't you can actually refuse them entry into your house.

Personally I would be telling her that if she's my boss I'm looking forward to her sending me my first pay check.

Seriously they are supposed to be there to give help and support. Personally I would be complaining about her to her boss because unlike us she will have one
    Last edited by FussyElmo; 30-06-2016 at 10:32 AM.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

3. Likes Kiddleywinks, loocyloo, Maza liked this post
    Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't have thought so.
    If offering funding then there is certain criteria to be followed with the LA which we are answerable to, but that obviously isn't an issue with 8 year olds.

I think maybe the new coordinator has been misinformed about her 'authority', their role as I understand it, is in a supportive capacity, meaning if no support is needed they leave you alone. She certainly doesn't have any authority to be removing certificates, as it is OFSTED that inform the LA when a minder resigns not the other way around.
    It may be that the minder chooses to keep her registration for a time without formally resigning, this too has nowt to do with the LA.

I would challenge the new lady to point out where in the legislation she has the authority to dictate how I run my business!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

They are supposed to offer support to those who want / need it ... she needs to relax into her job by the sounds of things!

She can't take your friend's certificate away and she can't come in without an invite - ofsted can but she can't!!

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

That's shocking and so wrong. I'd politely refuse to have any visit thank you very much, and request all future contact is by letter rather than phone call. We are under no obligation to the LA (except where there are contractual agreements for LA Free Entitlement funding etc)