Trip to park/walks
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  13
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Trip to park/walks

I just wondered whether a trip to the park would be considered an "adult led" activity or a "child led" one? Obviously getting them to the park I would need to take charge so this is adult led but then if they are free to play once at the park is this child led?

Registered Childminder since
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    I just wondered whether a trip to the park would be considered an "adult led" activity or a "child led" one? Obviously getting them to the park I would need to take charge so this is adult led but then if they are free to play once at the park is this child led?
    Depends did the children ask to go the park - then its child led.
    If it was you who decided then its adult led.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

3. Likes Chatterbox Childcare liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say it's an Adult Initiated activity but once there could be Child led.

xxx

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

A bit of both - does it really matter? If you try to analyse every single thing you do you will drive yourself crazy. Absolutely not a criticism by the way. xxx

6. Likes bunyip, FloraDora, Dragonfly, Ripeberry liked this post
    sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We go to the forest several times a week , and parks , farms....but Ive never thought about whether its adult or child led..I suppose it depends what we do once we are there....

8. Likes Dragonfly liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    A bit of both - does it really matter? If you try to analyse every single thing you do you will drive yourself crazy. Absolutely not a criticism by the way. xxx
    Absolutely.

If Michael Wilshaw wants to lose sleep about who "led" the activity, then he's welcome to.

Just for the record, I always let the smallest child lead. The smaller the shoe, the less dogsh1t they get on it before we all find out where not to step.

10. Likes FloraDora, Dragonfly, Maza, Jiorjiina liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought it was a fair enough question to ask and think I've got my answer. I personally think it is relevant, we are supposed to have a mixture of adult and child led activities each day so unless you've decided what is adult or child led then how are you sure you're meeting requirements.

12. Likes AliceK liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought it was a fair enough question to ask and think I've got my answer. I personally think it is relevant, we are supposed to have a mixture of adult and child led activities each day so unless you've decided what is adult or child led then how are you sure you're meeting requirements.
    Of course it was a fair question - on this forum all questions are good questions. Some days a child might suggest going to the park, so it might be child led for that particular child but not for the rest of the group. Other days you might decide to go to the park and so you would probably say it was adult led, although as the others have said it depends on who decides what you do once you get there. xxx

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I probably categorise my outings as adult led, unless a child specifically asks to go somewhere, or I give older ones choice between two, but like others have said if at the park they want to pick daisies to make a daisy chain, or cover the end of the slide in grass and slide into it, or hopscotch or whatever that would be the child led part

15. Likes Maza liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I usually think of it more generally though, free play is child led, any craft or activity I think of and leave out for them to do is adult led, I generally do an outing in the morning and an activity either before or in the afternoon, the rest of the day is free play so I hope that gives the balance required. Younger children often have no interest in some activities, but as they get older they are more inquisitive and shift over to participating in the adult led activities

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely a fair question.

The very fact that it needed to be asked would suggest that you were always likely to get a mixed response.

Some 'EY professionals' will see it as adult-led. Some 'EY professionals' will see it as child-led. They will all have their professional reasons to support their views.

Some of us other weirdos will be content that the children are happy, safe and having fun. It's how children used to learn.

18. Likes Maza liked this post