Drinks for children
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Drinks for children

As well as providing fresh drinking water and milk for children do you offer diluted juice too or is this considered unhealthy?

Registered Childminder since
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I give the children milk at morning snack time, well diluted squash at lunch time (as they clean their teeth after), milk with their tea and fresh water at all other times. I know squash is frowned on but they all drink it at home - you could give diluted fruit juice with lunch and either get children to clean their teeth or give them some cheese to neutralise acids.
    I believe in everything in moderation and don't believe in being a hippocratic when I drink squash and tea throughout the day.

Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Only Milk or Water at my setting

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    As well as providing fresh drinking water and milk for children do you offer diluted juice too or is this considered unhealthy?
    Personally, I don't offer diluted juice - I used to when I first started, and found that it makes the children drink more (more wet nappies), then refuse to just drink plain water when it's offered, unless there is juice in it. They then do the same at home, making life harder for the parents. It's also not great for their teeth! I now only give them plain water (available all day and with meals) and milk before nap times.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    I give the children milk at morning snack time, well diluted squash at lunch time (as they clean their teeth after), milk with their tea and fresh water at all other times. I know squash is frowned on but they all drink it at home - you could give diluted fruit juice with lunch and either get children to clean their teeth or give them some cheese to neutralise acids. I believe in everything in moderation and don't believe in being a hippocratic when I drink squash and tea throughout the day.
    Thanks hh, I feel the same as you so is good to hear I'm not the only one!

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks hh, I feel the same as you so is good to hear I'm not the only one!
    When I did voluntary work in a school I hated knowing that the children in the playground were eating an apple and drinking water when the teachers were rushing to the staff room to get their coffee and chocolate biscuits fix!

Feb 15
    Post Thanks / Like

I've just put in my food policy that I will only supply water and milk (It's all my 18 month old daughter has and she loves water) although I'm happy for the parents to send in other drinks such as juice, as long as it's not fizzy drinks.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I will give milk, water or weak squash (with lunch).

When a child starts with me I ask parents what they drink at home. If parents say they drink squash I will give it to them here, but tend to wean them off it over time. All the children I have at the moment have milk in the morning and water the rest of the time.

Apart from coffee or herbal tea I only drink water, so it's what the children see me drinking most of the time. They're usually happy to have it if I do!

8. Likes loocyloo, lollipop kid liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I got marked down from Ofsted for giving the children weak squash. I was told they should only have water in order to get them used to being "school ready". I did stop, informed all parents and tbh it has been fine, they will all happily drink their water. I do however give squash to the schoolies after school.

xxx

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I only give water. I can't stand the taste of squash and so have never bought it. The children can have milk if they ask for it and if we have been for a walk and got really cold I will often make some hot chocolate for us all, which I know is also full of sugar. We also make fruit smoothies - again full of (natural) sugar. I also believe in everything in moderation (except when it come to my own diet, oops) but there is just something about juice that I just don't like. I would only like my daughter to be offered water too - luckily she loves it.

11. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

we have water or milk.
    hot chocolate if we've been out and are really cold.
    I tend to drink tea or water.

we don't have squash in the house, and only have juice at the weekends!

sometimes I make ice lollies with juice, but even then, usually used pureed fruit!

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I give water all day and a choice of milk or water at snack. I give diluted juice (or neat juice to older ones) at breakfast. I always offer fruit at breakkie but some children were saying they didn't want any. I therefore give juice so they at least have one of their five a day. They only get one serving though. If still thirsty they get water.

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Everything in moderation here

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Water, milk , diluted fruit juice for breakfast. I try to wean all non water drinkers onto water but won't stop a child from having squash if that's all they drink. I hate squash so don't have it unless I have to.
    Hot chocolate is on our menu too on really cold days, more milk than choc powder.

16. Likes ziggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    Water, milk , diluted fruit juice for breakfast. I try to wean all non water drinkers onto water but won't stop a child from having squash if that's all they drink. I hate squash so don't have it unless I have to. Hot chocolate is on our menu too on really cold days, more milk than choc powder.
    Thanks flora, it obviously didn't harm your recent inspection (was it even noticed dyou think?), but seems to have affected poor AliceK and her grade. I'm unsure what to do

Post Thanks / Like

This is a tricky subject. The babies and toddlers I have all have milk or water - no problem/no issue. But I do offer squash to the after school children as most of them will not drink water, if they take water to school, it comes home full, so I'm very aware these children have had nothing to drink all day and if I put water in front of them it won't get drunk either (have tried this) so do I leave the child to suffer having had nothing to drink between 7am and 6pm or do I give them squash? Of course I give them squash. It's very hard with these children to reverse habits they've had for a few years. I'm also on the everything in moderation team I don't do diets or follow the latest food trends of good and bad food, I don't like false food lots of additives just good real food and my menu reflects that :-)

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks flora, it obviously didn't harm your recent inspection (was it even noticed dyou think?), but seems to have affected poor AliceK and her grade. I'm unsure what to do
    The children on inspection day drink water but I did have a discussion around this as she read a diary entry that celebrated the fact that another LO drank a very small glass of water this week - I proved my weaning methods in weaning them off - squash that their parents freely allow and encourage because they don't like water - works, so I am on the way to preparing them for a healthier lifestyle, not just school. Not much she could say negative to that really.

20. Likes Maza liked this post