Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  33
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    sep 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Default how many is too many?

I dont wish to offend but just wondered if anyone agrees with me over numbers.

This is first summer that i havent minded schoolies. So just got 3 under 18months old. Only have all 3 one or two days a week. Today i just have 6month old (sleeping now before we go to group)

While singing and playing with baby this morning, it occurred to me that I never had time to just sit and play during previous summers. Feel quite guilty now that children didnt get the best from me before. Having 3 little ones and 3 schoolies the day was just so hectic. We never went to beach, swimming etc as I couldnt fit them all in car. Plus last summer the eldest was 10 and the youngest 6months.

Would be interested to hear from other minders who mind large numbers successfully

Jul 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

All my schoolies have always been term time only, so only ever had 3 little ones in the hols plus own dd.
    I would hate to have big ones in holiday as it would stress me out lol
    Love Amanda

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

I find it's not just the amount of children that have an impact for me it's the correct mix of children Age being a big factor.

4. Likes funemnx, Maza liked this post
    sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Koala. There have been days where Ive had 9 children - between 10m and 10 years. Holiday days are often in the forest - the older girls love helping out with the babe , the bigger boys include the littlies in football or den building or balancing on logs.... These are the same children I have in term time , the mix works well and this just extends to the school holidays.
    Other 'mixes' of children have left me frazzled with far fewer of them!

6. Likes Koala, funemnx, Dragonfly, Maza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    I agree with Koala. There have been days where Ive had 9 children - between 10m and 10 years. Holiday days are often in the forest - the older girls love helping out with the babe , the bigger boys include the littlies in football or den building or balancing on logs.... These are the same children I have in term time , the mix works well and this just extends to the school holidays. Other 'mixes' of children have left me frazzled with far fewer of them!
    IMO I could never have more than 3 regardless of age! I've only got one pair of eyes and one pair of hands. Would never feel safe with more.

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blueeyedminder View Post
    IMO I could never have more than 3 regardless of age! I've only got one pair of eyes and one pair of hands. Would never feel safe with more.
    I can quite happily care for more than three children - no problem. Again it all depends on who they are.

9. Likes loocyloo, Dragonfly, lilac_dragon, mum67 liked this post
    sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Its all in the planning. Know the children. know their mood before you go anywhere! Know the place you're going...quiet spots , where the loos are , ...its all the stuff you do anyway - I would never attempt a new place , a new child etc on a busy busy holiday day. I often join up wth another cm or 2 - more eyes and ears helps!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Luckily those of us with bigger families of our own grown an extra pair of arms and eyes in the back of our heads

12. Likes Koala, loocyloo, lilac_dragon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    Its all in the planning. Know the children. know their mood before you go anywhere! Know the place you're going...quiet spots , where the loos are , ...its all the stuff you do anyway - I would never attempt a new place , a new child etc on a busy busy holiday day. I often join up wth another cm or 2 - more eyes and ears helps!
    That's what I do, meet up in teams!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I work with my hubby so I'm lucky. At one point we did have 13 children and they all got on brilliantly , it was like a military operation at snack and school time but they all knew the rules and it worked out well.
    It's lovely to see the friendships between them develop and bounce ideas of each other.
    We do have our own 6 children between us ( three are classes as adults now!) so we are used to a big family. The more the merrier i say as long as they get on, we are never bored or clock watching :-)

15. Likes Koala, lilac_dragon, Maza liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Luckily those of us with bigger families of our own grown an extra pair of arms and eyes in the back of our heads
    Oh yes, the magic eyes in back of our heads I also have a natural radar ability to know what is going on / being said even though I am not in the room. My DS is 10 and still can't actually understand how it is that mum ALWAYS knows what's going on when trouble is brewing.

xxx

17. Likes Koala, Mouse, Dragonfly, Maza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My personal preference at the moment is no more than 2 under 3 but happy to max numbers with the older ones! Like people have said its personal preference, the older ones have made great friendships and they are good fun to have around and I like being kept on my toes! I actually find it harder when I've only got 1 or 2 lol!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You ought to ask one of the local CMs near me. She regularly takes 9 children home from school. The other day, a mum made the predictable comment of, "you've got your hands full, love" (a massive 1 out of 10 for originality , but probably true in this case) to which the CM cheerily bragged that she had 2 more at home with her husband - interesting, as he isn't an assistant or CM, but an accountant working from home. She's been known to take on even more on strike days . The ages look borderline, but it's impossible to tell whether she is over her ratio for Ey or U8's, but I still think a small house is no place to care for a football team's worth of children.

20. Likes Maza liked this post
    Mar 14
    Non childminder member
    Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Well as only aloud 4 children in total thanks to wirral council , think that will be enough as well as my 2 children 1 is 19 months and one is 10, so be nice to have children the same age as them, so they always got someone to play with, we shall see be having my 1st child in sept, but do find my 10 year old needs more entertaining than most...

Glitter Guest

I love looking after large groups of school children. I find it easier with more children as they can nearly always find someone to play with, and there is less chance of them becoming bored.

I think the most I would want would be about 10 children.

23. Likes lilac_dragon liked this post
    July 14
    Post Thanks / Like

How does it work with children over 8yrs? Can u have any amount?

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRabbits View Post
    Schools do!?

And they don't have regular access to drinking water (they say they do) or personal towels for hand washing, from my experience your lucky if you find any soap never mind bog roll sorry guys a bit off topic but having listened to my kids come home from school and moan about conditions I just had to let rip

26. Likes AliceK, loocyloo, Maza liked this post
    July 14
    Post Thanks / Like

It's awful isnt it!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRabbits View Post
    There is no on-paper figure stated in a regulatory sense. The rule is that caring for the over-8's must not be detrimental to the standard of care provided to the little-ies. LAs and/or insurers may impose further limits, so it's always worth checking to see how the situation affects you as an individual.

sep 08
    Post Thanks / Like

in northern ireland we can only have 3 little ones and 3 schoolies, which to be honest is too many for me. I only have small house and the garden is adequate for little ones but not big enough for older children.

Plus I could only get 6 around my table for meals/snacks so wouldnt want 10!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast