Working with another childminder 1 morning a week. What to consider?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    June 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Working with another childminder 1 morning a week. What to consider?

Hi,

I'm new to childminding, just recently registered so thanks in advance for any replies.
    I have been asked to take siblings, 10mths and 2yrs one morning a week, which I have agreed to but not signed contracts yet. I have also just been asked to take a 2yr old full time which I obviously really want and will not turn away. In addition I have my own 2yr old. So this brings me above my numbers.

I would hate to turn down the siblings as the mum is someone I know from a playgroup I go to and I'm pretty sure she only wants them to go with me because they know me. Aside from putting my own daughter with another childminder for that morning, I was thinking of asking another newly reg childminder to work with me on that morning from my house, so all the kids get dropped of at my house with us both being there from the word go till they get picked up.

What do I need to know or consider? I'm thinking that mum will be happy signing kids up with the other childminder as long as she knows they will be with me during the course of the morning. ?????

Im going a little crazy over this and i'm sure there's a simple solution somewhere

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm sure someone will come with a detailed answer. One point of note is your children are always counted in your numbers so putting her with another childminder wouldn't allow you to increase ratios

3. Likes Rebeccadale liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know the correct answer but this is something I've looked into having an assistant and I found that if two or more adults are working on your premises (i think only to increase numbers) you will need planning permission from your council. As increase in traffic and noise etc...... plus you would have to pay the second person sick pay, hop pay and basic minimum rate of £6.... something x hope this helps slightly

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Not saying this is the answer in this case, but it is worth understanding that we are allowed to say "no".

Far too many CMs dig enormous holes for themselves by being far too eager to please and never learning they have the right to use that small but powerful 2-letter word.
    Last edited by bunyip; 08-07-2014 at 08:19 PM.

Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

In the new guidelines the continuity of care variation has been taken out and it is more clear that you can only go over your numbers if a new baby is starting....so the only way around it as I see is if the older sibling starts first with and the others have already started then the new baby would be allowed.....if they started later.....

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

You could do this but what will happen when the other childminder has a full time vacancy and doesn't want to cover you anymore?

Is there anyway you can start the first child and take the second one under continuity of care?

Can you get an assistant for the few hours?

Is it all worth it for a few hours once a week?
    Debbie

June 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your repllies, I didnt know that my own child would always be included in my numbers, what if she's with a with another family member say every thursday, does that mean she is still counted as 1 of my 3 under 5's even when she's not there? I guess you have to consider what would happen if that family member was ill or couldn't have her....

Veggiesausage seems to have the answer if I really still want to take them.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rebeccadale View Post
    Thanks for your repllies, I didnt know that my own child would always be included in my numbers, what if she's with a with another family member say every thursday, does that mean she is still counted as 1 of my 3 under 5's even when she's not there? I guess you have to consider what would happen if that family member was ill or couldn't have her....

Veggiesausage seems to have the answer if I really still want to take them.

It's a moot point. You could argue that you have a risk assessment in place and several alternatives. eg. She's usually with Granny. If Granny gets ill, Daddy will leave work and stay with DD at Grannies. If Daddy gets hit by an unexpected asteroid strike on the way, then Aunty Pamela will step in, etc, etc, etc.

It seems to be another of those things which boil down to the whim and intransigence of the individual inspector. You might satisfy one inspector whilst another will reject your Plan B, Plan C, Plan D, etc. all the way through to Plan ZZ+ and still ask "what if....?"