Puppies and childminding???
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jul 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Puppies and childminding???

I have the chance to buy a beautiful puppy which I'm finding hard too resist. I'm a little worried about childminding and puppy training, anyone any experience of this??

Post Thanks / Like

It's the right time of year as you can leave the doors open and they naturally go outside to poo and you will be firm from day one with the rules so it Wil learn what not to do!

Good luck xx

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a puppy about this time 3 years ago. I find a crate helps loads. My little boy had hardly any accidents as if they are in their crate they will cry to go out as they don't like to soil in there. Mine used to sleep in there and at night I would let him out for a wee / poo before I went to bed and then for a while he would wake me crying about 4 / 5am ish as he needed a wee. Plus a crate gives them somewhere safe to go to when they need it (or when you need it).
    I pick my new puppy up in 2 weeks, can't wait

xxxx

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

We got our puppy about a couple of weeks before I started minding. As long as you're quick off the mark with any messes until it's house trained I don't think it's much of a problem. Puppy gnawing can be a bit of a problem with the kids, but as long you can redirect the pup to something intended for chewing that's not usually much of a problem either.

Our pup has grown up alongside the mindees, so he's completely unphased by small children. Actually, he adores them and always waits for them in the window each morning! They also know and understand dogs, which was what their parents wanted. It's actually been harder to teach them to ask permission before stroking a dog, rather than just charging straight in for a cuddle!

It's a great way to teach them about the responsibilities of looking after an animal - we've been to the vets, to buy treats and food, and out for walks. We're even thinking of getting another puppy, if we could find the right one.