Wish i done .... From the start?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  13
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Wish i done .... From the start?

Am just starting out, is there anything you wish you did regularly to keep up?

I am using a changing mat every time and washing hands between nappies- I didnt always do this!

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Great thread for a pre reg newbie like me!
    I look forward to seeing other people replies :-)

Registered Childminder since
    Oct 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Keeping on top of paperwork...especially my accounts!
    If you do not hope, you will not find what is beyond your hopes

4. Likes dawn100, Maza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeap I def need to do that one!

Post Thanks / Like

I swore to myself I would keep up to date with my paper work and especially my accounts but hey ho I never do. I am scheduling some time today to complete the stiff I haven't. Lol I seem to do them monthly when really I should III d weekly and daily but in reality it is difficult when you work such long hours with my own children too. Ahhhh!

Ja-Lula-Bell*****minding

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Paper work.
    Accounts have an envelope for eqch month put receipts straight in and write on the front the amount and what for (to be fair I used to and it did make life easier I am now just lazy)
    Observations have a pr eprepared sheet on the fridge so can quickly write obs as they happen and do link when I have a quiet minute ( I still do this)
    Planning, on the fridge write activity when see child's interst (I do this in my head mostly then forget)

Have a back bone from the beginning, able to use the word no and not let parents walk all over me, took me a very long time to even start doing this and I Definetly need more practice.

8. Likes Maza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

First day tomorrow- let's see how this goes then!

10. Likes unalindura77 liked this post
    sep 08
    Post Thanks / Like

be strong and dont trust what parents say.

12. Likes unalindura77 liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Got paid in advance.

14. Likes unalindura77, Koala liked this post
    pre reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Definately have a back bone. I am only newly registered (nearly 2 months) and only have one mindee.

Last Monday mindee was handed over to me (10 minutes before I start) bags handed across on front door step with the words"he had loads of chocolate yesterday as he was at 2 birthday parties. So he was sick about 8pm last night but absolutely fine since. He has eat his toast this morning and just fine". I looked at mindee he had big smile on his face, so I thought oh it probably was chocolate overload.

Tuesday late afternoon my 3 year old son started being sick. We had my daughter's 6th birthday party at 4pm. My husband had to come home from work, look after our 3 year old. I had to take my other children and the mindee to daughter's birthday party. So, my husband and son missed out on seeing my daughter on her birthday and at her party.

Then due a parent visit last Friday. I was desperate for the visit as desperate for the money. I had to cancel the parent and child coming for a visit as my son was still being sick on the Thursday. Parent seemed ok about it on the phone but am so worried now it will put her off using me. Especially since I have 4 children, she will think I will never be able to mind if all my children take it in turns to be sick!!

My mindee's Mum is a friend of mine. She was suitably embarrased and apologetic but damage done!! I suppose this is also the danger of minding friends children.

Sept 13
    Non childminder member
    PRE-REG
    Post Thanks / Like

Really S P E L L out the sickness policy.

Really S P E L L out annual leave notification of 4 weeks.

Really S P E L L out your payment needs to be C L E A R E D in the bank by x date.

And most importantly never ever tie yourself down with contracted ad-hoq days (like I did).

17. Likes Koala, Maza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by amyp View Post
    Am just starting out, is there anything you wish you did regularly to keep up?

I am using a changing mat every time and washing hands between nappies- I didnt always do this!

Thanks
    Don't forget to enjoy yourself! Oh yes and try to keep up with the paperwork! x

19. Likes unalindura77 liked this post
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

charge for late payments!! Its something I never do and one parent in particular is now taking the proverbial...wish I'd put it in my contract

21. Likes Maza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Some free advice here! Thanks x

May 11
    Post Thanks / Like

The same as everyone else keep on top of paperwork and make sure parents understand sickness policy

Jan-10
    Post Thanks / Like

Charge a month in advance - all contracted hours to be paid for - DO NOT at the end of every month refund part of the invoice for early pick ups/holidays/granpa visiting and collecting! I am struggling with this one as they now expect refunding half for holidays etc every month - we are way over the 4 week holiday allowance period - I need to grow a back bone!

Post Thanks / Like

This is a fab thread. Thanks x x

Ja-Lula-Bell*****minding

Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing i need to do is remember to NOT stress too much, its a job many would love to do so enjoy it!
    I look back at rubbishy jobs I hated and thank my lucky stars I'm doing a job I love and that you get daily, if not hourly, rewards from. Seeing the kids grinning at me makes this all easy, being able to go to my daughters concerts and sports days makes me happy too
    Sometimes the paperwork really can wait as well because I'm busy building a cardboard castle
    Kelly xx

27. Likes Rickers83, unalindura77 liked this post
    sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by catlyn View Post
    charge for late payments!! Its something I never do and one parent in particular is now taking the proverbial...wish I'd put it in my contract
    you can always introduce a late payment policy.... hand parents a letter and say with effect from such a date i will be implementing a late payment fee which will be added daily onto your account ... or something like that give at least 1month notice and see how many are late after that
    Tess1981

Sept 13
    Non childminder member
    PRE-REG
    Post Thanks / Like

On a serious note....

I have taken up drinking a double something or other on Fridays (this Monday I had two glasses of baileys) after starting this job, so make sure you don't stress too much as someone said and end up relying on alcohol