phased out?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: phased out?

Post Thanks / Like

Default phased out?

Does anyone get the feeling that the local authorities are doing their best to phase us out?
    Our early years team are down to the bare minimum of staff which is probably happening everywhere.
    I have had 3 letters recently about courses which I would love to go on. One is a monday 9am - 12pm, one is a Wednesday same time and one is Wednesday 5pm - 8pm.
    Do they expect childminders to be able to attend at these times? Nurseries will be able to get staff to cover but how many childminders can attend at that time?
    I have made my feelings known to the la.

Registered Childminder since
    Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We had one a couple of years ago aimed at only childminders from - 5-7pm on a Wednesday. I could go and another childminder and her assistant went but that was it!

When we asked about the timing of the course we were told that due to budget cuts they could only hold it when a council building was open and they closed at 7pm when the cleaners went home! There was no funding to hire a venue to make it a more suitable time.

Another course aimed at childminders was held a 7pm over an hours drive at the other end of the county!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tulip0803 View Post
    We had one a couple of years ago aimed at only childminders from - 5-7pm on a Wednesday. I could go and another childminder and her assistant went but that was it!

When we asked about the timing of the course we were told that due to budget cuts they could only hold it when a council building was open and they closed at 7pm when the cleaners went home! There was no funding to hire a venue to make it a more suitable time.

Another course aimed at childminders was held a 7pm over an hours drive at the other end of the county!
    Our network meetings are 6.30-8.30 in council buildings so they can't use that excuse! !!!

Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We are very lucky with our LA Early Years department. They are doing their best to keep supporting all childminders and mitigate any impact of agencies and of the govt messing around with DM. I don't know how long they will manage to hold out against bugdet cuts though :/

to everyone trying to keep positive without support x

5. Likes Mouse liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Our LA supports us so well but training costs are on the rise.

I don't think they are phasing us out but they just don't have the money anymore. I was told by my DO that the local LA's are looked at in connection with the ofsted grading that their childminders have and ours does its best to keep them up
    Debbie

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tulip0803 View Post

That's really bad - we often use the local childrens centre - empty in evening so available for use. no cost then. or if its for 10 people volunteer whichever childminder has the biggest lounge!!!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Their remit is changing - they will only have funds to support unsatisfactory and requires improvement childminders and everything else will be down to us to sort for ourselves.

We are lucky we have here for our up-to-date information and support

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chatterbox Childcare View Post
    Our LA supports us so well but training costs are on the rise.

I don't think they are phasing us out but they just don't have the money anymore. I was told by my DO that the local LA's are looked at in connection with the ofsted grading that their childminders have and ours does its best to keep them up
    and they want us all to join agencies instead
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The Juggler View Post
    and they want us all to join agencies instead
    I wonder how many LAs are waiting in the wings to become an agency once they get feedback from the first trials and they know what needs to be in place to support cms, what it would cost and comply with Ofsted and DfE requirements?
    All the decimated EY team will soon re employ those who have left to work in their agency then!!

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    I wonder how many LAs are waiting in the wings to become an agency once they get feedback from the first trials and they know what needs to be in place to support cms, what it would cost and comply with Ofsted and DfE requirements?
    All the decimated EY team will soon re employ those who have left to work in their agency then!!
    i don't know how an LA team could be a profit making company - how would that work
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Aug 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD!!!!!
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I'm a bit behind here....

so will it be compulsory to be part of an agency? I've tried googling it but it's a bit vague :0/

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rickers83 View Post
    Sorry, I'm a bit behind here....

so will it be compulsory to be part of an agency? I've tried googling it but it's a bit vague :0/
    No,we are assured we won't have to join. We are working hard to support those cms who want to stay independent

14. Likes Rickers83 liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The Juggler View Post
    i don't know how an LA team could be a profit making company - how would that work
    Very simple...if you look at the definition of 'agency' in the English dictionary

- a business or other organization providing a specific service ( we can safely assume they would do that at a cost?)
    - an employment agency ( this one is quite worrying)
    - the place where an 'agent' conducts business
    - the business, duties or functions of an agent ( all those are dictated by Ofsted and DfE)
    - intercession or mediation

The LAs would be agents...this is the definition of an agent...(and I can safely assume it would take a team to deliver the Ofsted/DfE requirements of an agency)
    - a body who acts on behalf of another person, group business, government (The last one is very obvious who they would act on behalf of!!)
    - a person or thing that acts or has the power to act ( as agency will be legal plenty of power for them)
    - a person representing a business concern ( our businesses or theirs?)

None of the definitions above tell me they would this for FREE!!!

sept 10
    Post Thanks / Like

All our training is appropriate times just always on the other side of town now whereas we used to get some local. Great for childminders over that way but not so good for those that have to travel for an hour or so through town. If courses are 7-9 your not getting home until 10 and gone and get no evening

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    Play Assistant
    Post Thanks / Like

I never post anything positive on this forum do I

I do feel like there is something going regarding the downgrading of what minders do and provide!

As for us personally, we are being pushed out by the local school. A clique has formed and a figure head has done nothing but put my partner down, put her on the spot, patronise her, challenge her, comment on numbers every single day. It has ramped up in the last few weeks. This person was a long-term parent like us at that school before we even started minding so why she is doing this now?

One childminder has quit already down there and approached my partner to let her know she had quit! We are not nosey and did not ask why, but she did hint on the way things are and she was not happy about many things at the place!

So am I just being paranoid or is there really something happening that is coaxing people to give up or move into another area's of work?

EDIT: I think what I am trying to say is, as each LA is pulling back and re-tracting people are getting nasty, brave or whatever and think its childminders at fault! Please correct me if I am wrong. I just do not feel very happy about things at the moment. We put alot of effort and work into things only to be told its not enough.
    Last edited by Jayse74; 18-12-2013 at 11:39 AM.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That's why we are working so hard to support independent childminders!

We need to be prioritised - we are out here working with children right now!

We don't want to join agencies - we want answers to our own questions - and support and help and training and advice and we need to remind them that we are here!

Have you seen our letter? A lot of childminders contributed to it

Put independent childminders first!