Do you risk assess everyday?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do you risk assess everyday?

Hi

I was wondering, I know we continually risk assess our houses without realising, but do we have to record daily a risk assessment or can it be a weekly excises?
    I've done this risk assessment of my downstairs which is the area I use for childminding and I've stuck it in my dairy, can I next to each day just tick to say I've down all the things listed?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Likes watgem liked this post
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got one similar that I have laminated and stuck on my notice board. I then tick it with a whiteboard pen and then I can wipe it off everyday. I'm not the most organised so I don't remember to fill it in everyday but something's such as fridge temps have been just become second habit now.
    If you do not hope, you will not find what is beyond your hopes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by maisiemog View Post
    I've got one similar that I have laminated and stuck on my notice board. I then tick it with a whiteboard pen and then I can wipe it off everyday. I'm not the most organised so I don't remember to fill it in everyday but something's such as fridge temps have been just become second habit now.
    My fridge temp is also in my diary along with my register, my thinking is with everything in one place I'm more likely to do everything?

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I risk assess constantly and cou;dn't write it all down. From shoes in the hallway before I open the door to tidying away...
    Debbie

Post Thanks / Like

Hey,

I have recently attended some good training where the tutor said:

- if you can change something in 2 minutes - it doesn't need to be on your risk assessment.

For example - shoes on the stairs can be moved within two minutes and would be moved as part of your continual safety assessment so that wouldn't need to be on your risk assessment.

Things like a step down to the garden would need to be on your risk assessment however if you are minding toddlers who may need support getting up & down it.

Risk assessments take ages to get your head round I think & to get the right balance too of including the essential things but not being too picky over every little thing because let's face it - everything could be a risk in some way.

Hope that helps anyway - the 2 minute rule has helped me get my head around the 'not over risk assessing' everything anyway

Amy xx

feb 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by amylouise867 View Post
    Hey,

I have recently attended some good training where the tutor said:

- if you can change something in 2 minutes - it doesn't need to be on your risk assessment.

For example - shoes on the stairs can be moved within two minutes and would be moved as part of your continual safety assessment so that wouldn't need to be on your risk assessment.

Things like a step down to the garden would need to be on your risk assessment however if you are minding toddlers who may need support getting up & down it.

Risk assessments take ages to get your head round I think & to get the right balance too of including the essential things but not being too picky over every little thing because let's face it - everything could be a risk in some way.

Hope that helps anyway - the 2 minute rule has helped me get my head around the 'not over risk assessing' everything anyway

Amy xx
    Like the sound of this-I tend to over risk assess and am never sure if I've missed something or done too much!! This will really help, thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by amylouise867 View Post
    Hey, I have recently attended some good training where the tutor said: - if you can change something in 2 minutes - it doesn't need to be on your risk assessment. For example - shoes on the stairs can be moved within two minutes and would be moved as part of your continual safety assessment so that wouldn't need to be on your risk assessment. Things like a step down to the garden would need to be on your risk assessment however if you are minding toddlers who may need support getting up & down it. Risk assessments take ages to get your head round I think & to get the right balance too of including the essential things but not being too picky over every little thing because let's face it - everything could be a risk in some way. Hope that helps anyway - the 2 minute rule has helped me get my head around the 'not over risk assessing' everything anyway Amy xx
    Ok so maybe ill use this as prompted for a visual risk assessment

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

when i started i had a tick list for every day - are the appropriate car seats in the car? Have I tied the blind cord up? fridge temp etc etc. It was because there was so much to think about and some stuff I didn't automatically think about in advance but now I don't use it because I am in a routine and I think about everything anyway OR because I deal with it as it crops up - which I guess would be similar to the 2 minute rule.

OCT 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Liking the 2 minute rule!!!