Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Facebook

Registered Childminder since
    aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Facebook

I am getting concerned about the conversations on Facebook. They are open to anyone. It seems to me that some people forget that we can be easily tracked by name and photo. I am considering blocking it. Just not sure will review it in a few weeks.

2. Likes N/A, McKenzie, wellybelly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jackie 7 View Post
    I am getting concerned about the conversations on Facebook. They are open to anyone. It seems to me that some people forget that we can be easily tracked by name and photo. I am considering blocking it. Just not sure will review it in a few weeks.
    There was a post about this on the fb group earlier and I thought people sort of shot her down a bit!! I have my boss on fb so tend not to post on groups etc!!

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That is a concern Jackie, which is why we say over and over to only post things which you wouldn't be overly worried about someone else seeing. We delete anything unsuitable, such as photos of children or posts or people.

We do our best to keep the group healthy! If you see something untoward let us know

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think as long as you're careful what YOU write, you have to leave others to post what they want. Some seem oblivious to the fact their posts could be seen by anyone, but it's not up to us to police them. Everyone has to take responsibility for their own words.

I have left a couple of FB groups, not because of what's written about families etc, but because some of the advice is appalling and wrong. I also don't like swearing and that's another reason I'd leave a group. I wouldn't dream of telling people not to swear, I'd just quietly leave the group as it's obviously not the right one for me.

6. Likes mum26, christine e liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

I left because it was awfully judgemental and concerning, not my business to judge them, I'm sure they think they know what their doing but I would never write anything at all about the mindees on there.

Simona Guest

What you say is very worrying ...we are talking about Confidentiality and Data Protection after all

Both must be taken very seriously indeed and any cm on FB should continue to respect those and comply.....very very worrying!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I honestly do not understand.

There are over 3000 members on the group and the vast majority are helpful and respectful.

There are hundreds of posts every day and most of them are good, useful posts.

We can't be there monitoring it every minute of the day but we do delete anything that concerns us.

We constantly remind members about safe posting.

We constantly remind members to tag us if they are worried about something.

We have a 'watch' list and we look out for trolls and unsuitable members and delete them if we all agree they are a concern to others.

I think we need your help guys. Don't come to us with a problem - help us find a solution.

What more can we do?

Why are people leaving?

As I said, I really truly don't understand.

10. Likes Greengrass74, FussyElmo liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it's your problem at all. It's the people who inappropriately post which as you said are few and far between, but when they do post I felt so uncomfortable.

The only thing I can suggest which is unfair and all hell would break loose, is to cap your members to keep a closer eye on it. Like I said, probably not viable and then it wouldn't be a real community.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

Also, I think you all do a fantastic job from what I saw when I was on there. I couldn't do it that's for sure!!

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

i am sorry to say this, but it really upsets me how quickly it can become like a crowd ganging up mentaliity.

For example someone last night had a thread on there about their son seeing the page and not liking some of the comments, the first few threads said thank you for info, and then it went off onto a dig at the op about why her son was even on there in the first place, and I felt really sorry for the op. That was not the point of the post. Then someone came on and started to complain about a swear word which kept appearing, and they were annoyed that they had had a thread removed for the same word a few days earlier and they felt unfair that other posts had not been removed for same reason in this particular thread. The actual person then complained that they felt Sarah was just like a ofsted inspector, one rule for one person and one rule for another with their own rule book.

Bear in mind this must of been at about 10:30 last night. And at this point the thread had about 50 comments on it. I could not believe that the person complaining about the swear word thing, could not understand that the mods cannot be around every second of the day, and given it was that late on a saturday night of course some posts may not have been able to be removed yet. I was so angry when they slated sarah and compared her to Ofsted. Anyone who uses the forum or facebook clearly knows how much work and dedication Sarah puts into childminding and helping her fellow collegues, and their comment was so below the belt.

Just as i was about to report it I saw that another member had tagged Sarah to alert her to the post.

So in the space of a few hours a thread was started, it got unprofessional, and was then removed by Tina. This isnt the first time threads have started on the facebook group and got over 50 comments before they have to be removed due to the way people turn on others.

And it such as a shame because in lot of other respects the majority of posts are helpful and sharing, but once you have seen a few posts like last nights it really does make we weary of using the page.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AgentTink View Post
    i am sorry to say this, but it really upsets me how quickly it can become like a crowd ganging up mentaliity.

For example someone last night had a thread on there about their son seeing the page and not liking some of the comments, the first few threads said thank you for info, and then it went off onto a dig at the op about why her son was even on there in the first place, and I felt really sorry for the op. That was not the point of the post. Then someone came on and started to complain about a swear word which kept appearing, and they were annoyed that they had had a thread removed for the same word a few days earlier and they felt unfair that other posts had not been removed for same reason in this particular thread. The actual person then complained that they felt Sarah was just like a ofsted inspector, one rule for one person and one rule for another with their own rule book.

Bear in mind this must of been at about 10:30 last night. And at this point the thread had about 50 comments on it. I could not believe that the person complaining about the swear word thing, could not understand that the mods cannot be around every second of the day, and given it was that late on a saturday night of course some posts may not have been able to be removed yet. I was so angry when they slated sarah and compared her to Ofsted. Anyone who uses the forum or facebook clearly knows how much work and dedication Sarah puts into childminding and helping her fellow collegues, and their comment was so below the belt.

Just as i was about to report it I saw that another member had tagged Sarah to alert her to the post.

So in the space of a few hours a thread was started, it got unprofessional, and was then removed by Tina. This isnt the first time threads have started on the facebook group and got over 50 comments before they have to be removed due to the way people turn on others.

And it such as a shame because in lot of other respects the majority of posts are helpful and sharing, but once you have seen a few posts like last nights it really does make we weary of using the page.
    Sorry to hear about the problems...why oh why do some people feel the need to cause trouble or be unpleasant ?
    It does us a great disservice that we can behave in such manner...can you ban the trolls? that's what they are really

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you, I think people behave differently on facebook and I am sure that some of the people would not talk like that to people in the street that they meet. It feels like a lot of people just want to be negative about things and I am considering leaving the the page too as I feel that I can comment on any discussions as they turn into negative spirals or made to feel your doing a bad job rather than supporting each other which was the aim of the page.
    Pixie Dust

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AgentTink View Post

I was out with friends for dinner last night so I wasn't on the group although I did see the thread and reply very early on.

I know that Tina deleted it - now I think I know why and I am very thankful that she stepped in without wanting to upset or worry me

I spend hours and hours of my time writing free information for childminders. Not for personal profit - nothing to gain - just sharing information freely on my blogs and websites to benefit everyone.

I am wondering why I bother.

Perhaps if members feel like that about me then I should step down

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

As Sarah says the majority of posts are respectful and helpful. We don't want to over-sensor people but we do step in if it goes too far. FB is a different medium to the forum, it's much more instant way of communicating and differing opinions can sometimes cause it to get a little heated. We welcome differing opinions and experiences but monitor as close as possible conversations that are going too far.

We don't want to lose the group because of the excellent advice and sharing we are getting. If it means having the odd conversation that we ave to step into then so be it.

We need you guys to come and give some good advice and sharing of ideas and help us keep the group the way we all want it.

Thank you

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    I was out with friends for dinner last night so I wasn't on the group although I did see the thread and reply very early on.

I know that Tina deleted it - now I think I know why and I am very thankful that she stepped in without wanting to upset or worry me

I spend hours and hours of my time writing free information for childminders. Not for personal profit - nothing to gain - just sharing information freely on my blogs and websites to benefit everyone.

Sarah we appreciate every single thing you do for us and we all support you 100%. If anyone wants to challenge anything you do I will personally step in and support you

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Sarah please don't let a few ignorant people who do not appreciate all the hard work you do spoil it for the others. I personally find all the information you share invaluable and it has helped me so much. You never judge people you give excellent advice and support, I send you a big THANK YOU.
    Pixie Dust

Dec 00
    Post Thanks / Like

As a new member I am very impressed with what you do, don't give up. I have always had reservations about Facebook and have never been on it. This only re-enforces my opinion that it is a thing to be avoided.

21. Likes VeggieSausage liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thank you Pixie Dust - I very much appreciate your comments but I didn't say it to get lots of people telling me to stay! xxx

The group is there to help and support others. It is the Forum's way of capturing those cms who prefer FB.

It takes hours and hours of admin time to moderate - and support people - and help them - and advise them properly.

The amount of messages I get and answer every day just shows the help people need!! The other night I spend 2 hours just answering private messages on FB!! That's 2 hours freely given to share good practice - because I want everyone to know there is always someone available to help them.

I don't ask for thanks - mostly as Angel and the other mods will tell you we don't get thanks despite all our work. But that's not what we are doing it for.

I said it because I truly don't understand the mentality of people who bite the hand that feeds them

23. Likes Rick, AgentTink, hectors house, ziggy liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post

Step down from what Sarah? Stay where you are, defy the bullies and keep going
    I am not on FB either but appreciate that others want to use that medium and should do so without the constant worry someone is coming in to spoil it for them

Any support or advice at the moment is truly appreciated....isn't that what childminding is about?

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Sarah you are amazing - i'm afraid that social media sites where people feel they can critise others are always going to be open to abuse, thats why I'm sticking to the forum it always seems much more friendly and people tend to think more about the words they use in their replies to ensure they can't be misread and cause offense.

You work so hard moderating and replying to posts, campaigning and motivating us to do the same - I don't know how you have time to go out for a meal, hope you had a great time you deserve some time away from "us".

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast