tactfully telling parents to arrive quietly!!!!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default tactfully telling parents to arrive quietly!!!!

It is niggling me .....my poor son gets woken up every morning at 7 because parents like to chat VERY LOUDLY ......or children have a paddy ......I don't expect the babies to understand and to be fair it's not the childrens fault.....just frustrating as it's the holidays ......any tips pretty please :0)

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by candy cat View Post
    It is niggling me .....my poor son gets woken up every morning at 7 because parents like to chat VERY LOUDLY ......or children have a paddy ......I don't expect the babies to understand and to be fair it's not the childrens fault.....just frustrating as it's the holidays ......any tips pretty please :0)
    I normally answer the door whispering and keep responding in that way. I also always try to get to the door before the doorbell. Parents usually will copy and whisper back, or at least ask why you are whispering and that then gives you the chance to say you are letting your little one sleep till his normal hour.

3. Likes kellyskidz!, Maza liked this post
    Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

If either of my ds' are still sleeping when a mindee turns up I open the door with my finger over my lips & whisper shhhh ds is sleeping.

5. Likes Maza liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Since you're telling everyone on the forum, have you considered telling the parents?

7. Likes Mouse liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a similar problem as my dd has got a job in a cocktail bar and works 16.00 till 4.00 am 4 days a week so is asleep when they arrive, the children I care for are very good and will come in and say is A asleep and if I say yes they talk quietly. But the parents dont seem to care !! even a 4 year old told her mom off the other day and said Mommy A asleep be quiet please x if one or more arrive at the same time its a nightmare cos the parents decide to have a big conversation and I find myself giving them glaring looks and then saying to the children thank you for being quiet kids. x

Post Thanks / Like

Ooh, I'm with you on this one as my mindees arrive at 7am, usually hide round the corner and jump out screaming, bless them.... But it's too early in the morning and I'm waiting for the neighbours to complain. No amount of saying that they'll wake the neighbours seems to sink. Like you I'm not very good at just saying 'you need to be quiet in the mornings because xyz. Don't ask me why I just can't say it. Unfortunately for the poor old lady next door who has been I'll in hospital, she is my new excuse as to why they must be quiet in the mornings! Good luck hope you work up the courage to tell parents.

Nov 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post

Since you're telling everyone on the forum, have you considered telling the parents?
    Gosh think you got up too early too.....came on for advice not a sarky comment thanks!

Thanks everyone else for your comments :0)

Oct 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Its this reason I wont have anyone arriving before 7.30 as thats when my LO's tend to get up. I recently had an enquiry for a 7mth old to start at 6, like I really want a baby coming in and the possibility of them screaming the house down at that time, no thanks!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Gosh think you got up too early too.....came on for advice not a sarky comment thanks!

Thanks everyone else for your comments :0)
    It wasn't intended as sarcastic. If I had the same problem of noisy arrivals I'd address it politely and directly to whomsoever was causing the noise. It doesn't have to be confrontational.

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

I explain to all my parents upon contracts that my own family if at home don't surface until later! I used to have a 6:30 start who arrived buzzing but Putting my foot down from the beginning.

As it is my 11yr old has only just woke lol! Although I'm not working today 3 phone calls at 8 am grrrr woke me

Nov 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post

It wasn't intended as sarcastic. If I had the same problem of noisy arrivals I'd address it politely and directly to whomsoever was causing the noise. It doesn't have to be confrontational.
    Ok, but just the way you said ' has you have told everyone on the forum' seemed off to me :0)

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Bunyip...and I'm not being sarcastic either!

If you want parents to be quiet in the morning, just ask them. Why not just say "as it's the holiday, my son is still asleep when you arrive, so can i ask that you're quiet in the morning?"

Very often parents are totally unaware of our families' needs, so it just needs pointing out to them.

sep 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I know just how you feel. I have a very loud chatty mummy who collects at 1.30. No point putting other 2 down for nap until she goes. Odd time I have had one asleep I have tried going to door with her child and whispering that I have a child asleep but it makes no difference and she gets quite offended.

Due to school run in September I will have to put 3yr old to bed at 1pm so I think I may explain situation to her, have child ready at door and not get into conversation.

BUT it is very very difficult.

Do you write a newsletter? could you mention it in that and keep answering door in 'quiet voice'? Good luck, not easy

aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

How about s letter to everyone. Please remember when you come others might bd asleep. Say your neighbour had mentioned the noise. Agree with the whispering when they come. Ever a sign on the door telling them. When some collect from me or drop off when someone is asleep I tell them to text when outside.

Nov 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi yes normally do a newsletter, but only got 2 children on books at the moment due to having an operation last month so feel it is too obvious who is the noisy one lol.....normally I am fairly assertive, but think as they have been so loyal to me over last couple of months I feel uncomfortable telling them I guess.

Oh and ignore me you are right I should tell them to be quiet lol

jan 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry but i think i'm going to annoy everyone now, my thoughts on it are that i am a business that opens at 7am i really dont think i should be asking parents and children to be quiet and whispering when they arrive, my working day starts when families arrive and my family understand and accept that, if i consider a time too early for my family then i wouldnt do it. My children know im working from 7.30 am so know their bed time in school hols is much the same as in term time meaning they don't need a lie in!! Just my views on it!!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kats View Post
    Sorry but i think i'm going to annoy everyone now, my thoughts on it are that i am a business that opens at 7am i really dont think i should be asking parents and children to be quiet and whispering when they arrive, my working day starts when families arrive and my family understand and accept that, if i consider a time too early for my family then i wouldnt do it. My children know im working from 7.30 am so know their bed time in school hols is much the same as in term time meaning they don't need a lie in!! Just my views on it!!
    It's always good to see an alternative point of view

Luckily my children are all older now, so a pneumatic drill wouldn't wake them

If they do get woken up when children arrive, they tell me it's me and my loud voice that they hear

21. Likes Maza liked this post
    Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My dd4 gets woken up at 6.45 too by noisy parents and kids bless her.
    She's usually ok with it but the other week she was like a walking zombie and she had school all day, I felt really bad for her, teachers said she'd been tired and she fell asleep on the sofa as soon as she got in
    It can't really be helped though, apart from me sending her to bed half an hour earlier, which I have been doing
    I also answer the door with finger on lips and say to child being dropped off (5yo) lets quietly do this or that because T is asleep. Usually we have a quite story because the child is also sleepy at that time in a morn so I'd suggest doing a quiet activity first off
    Good luck with whatever you decide to do xx

feb 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I had one child who came at 7.15 every morning, running down the road shouting and screaming, I told him every morning to be quiet as he would wake the neighbours, mum's response-we're up so its time they were too!!!!! One of many things which led to me giving notice

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kats View Post
    Not annoyed. It's an interesting viewpoint and a new aspect on the debate.

Of course, running our own business doesn't give us the right to allow things that might be regarded as public nuisance. In fact, we become largely responsible for any noise generated as the result of comings and goings around our premises. This is the same sort of thing as noise around pubs and clubs. It is obviously on a very different scale, but it could still result in a neighbour seeking a noise abatement order or raising a complaint which might ultimately lead the LA to demand a planning notice. But I think for most of us, it's more about good relationships with the peoplewho live near us.

i don't know if 0700 would be considered particularly early. I have more of a problem with our neighbours who have parties until well beyond midnight, especially as Mrs Bunyip has to be up at 0400 most days to go to work (and therefore I have to be up earlier to put the kettle on or face her wrath. )

Glad you raised the point, Kats.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast