When do you need to ring Ofsted regarding accidents
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default When do you need to ring Ofsted regarding accidents

Right been reading things on various other places and there seems to be confusion about when you need to inform Ofsted of accidents what do you all think. Couple of scenerios for you, child falls over cuts head, gets glued at doctors walk in, or child bangs head fine while with you, goes home several hours later they are vomiting ambulance called etc taken to a and e but discharged after observation put down to bug not conclusion. Or same as second scenerios but admitted to ward for a few hours for observation again discharged and put down to bug. Does Ofsted need to be informed about any of these incidents?

A - when child goes to doctors walk in

B - when child goes to A and E but discharged

C - when child goes to A and E but admitted to ward

Registered Childminder since
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You need to refer to document "serious accidents, injuries and deaths that registered providers must notify to Ofsted and local child protection agencies" catchy little title produced by Ofsted.

I think the answer is none of them need reporting - as minor head injury is a "minor injury" which doesn't need reporting - if however the child loses consciousness then that is classed as "major" and must be reported.

If child goes to A & E and needs to be admitted for more than 24 hours then that is "major" - so you would have to hope child is assessed quickly and sent home before then.

3. Likes zippy, bindy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just found this doc on here http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/filedownloa...es.doc&refer=0 which seems to indicate if taken to hospital and admitted for 24 hours or more or am I reading it wrong. Does anyone know if this is the latest guidance or is the a more up to date version.

5. Likes sarah707 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks hectors house

Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

It's different for me as I'm in Scotland but my inspector told me if a child needs medical attention after an accident/incident then we must inform them.

Apr 92
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    You need to refer to document "serious accidents, injuries and deaths that registered providers must notify to Ofsted and local child protection agencies" catchy little title produced by Ofsted.

I think the answer is none of them need reporting - as minor head injury is a "minor injury" which doesn't need reporting - if however the child loses consciousness then that is classed as "major" and must be reported.

If child goes to A & E and needs to be admitted for more than 24 hours then that is "major" - so you would have to hope child is assessed quickly and sent home before then.
    You forgot the or, if they have died. I had to report a resuscitation even though no doctor, hospital was involved.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I know what it says in the EYFS - and I know what it says in the Ofsted factsheet - but I would be tempted to ring Ofsted and inform them about any accident or injury if you think it is serious.

If you are asking the question 'should I let them know?' then I think the answer if probably 'yes'.

Hth