do your parents want to see where their children sleep?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  19
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default do your parents want to see where their children sleep?

Have a problem parent who always seems to have something to say. Just moved into a new house and parent has written in diary that she would like to have a look at where her child sleeps tonight....... have posted before about this parent.

sep 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I did have one parent who asked to see where her children would be sleeping. I didnt have a problem with it and have since always showed new parents.

I have a spare room just for the children but at the time had a cot in my room but was happy to show parent.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

As a parent, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask to see where a child sleeps.

It does sound as if maybe this parent is being a bit nosy, but I'd show them quickly & leave it at that. Do you have any reason why you don't want to show them?

4. Likes kellyskidz! liked this post
    Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, parents often as me where their child will be going for a nap and I let the see the sleep room, its not a secret. I'd want to know where my daughter was sleeping too, especially when they're young. When they come for a visit I show them the playroom, garden and sleep room since that's where their child will be spending their days. If she's asking to see where she sleeps to pick fault then that's not so good, but I welcome parents asking to look around the whole house because its important to them to know what their child is doing while I'm looking after them xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

Prospective parents see everything in my house, all bedrooms etc. why not? It's nice for them to know.

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok thanks. No I dont have a problem with it at all, just strange how all of a sudden she has asked. I have had thd baby since april and she never asked at the old house. Thanks

Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

I give a complete tour of the house even rooms not used for minding. I look at it as if I was leaving my child I'd want to know that there wasn't a room upstairs that is full of 'dodgy' stuff if you know what I mean.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Npg1 View Post
    Ok thanks. No I dont have a problem with it at all, just strange how all of a sudden she has asked. I have had thd baby since april and she never asked at the old house. Thanks
    Probably just wanting a nose round your new house then!

When we moved I had a dad come to drop his children off. He walked straight in saying "I've often wondered what these houses are like. I'll have a look round while I'm here!" and headed off upstairs! I told him to come back down as my family were all still in bed and upstairs is private!
    I have no problem in showing parents any area where their children will be, but anywhere else is out of bounds.

sep 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Probably just wanting a nose round your new house then!

When we moved I had a dad come to drop his children off. He walked straight in saying "I've often wondered what these houses are like. I'll have a look round while I'm here!" and headed off upstairs! I told him to come back down as my family were all still in bed and upstairs is private!
    I have no problem in showing parents any area where their children will be, but anywhere else is out of bounds.
    How very rude, I would be furious if anyone did that!

I am inspected by social services (no ofsted here thankfully) and at last inspection we were told all rooms are now to be looked at even if not registered for minding. Few local minders werent happy about that but didnt bother me.

mar06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't see a problem with this I show parents all of my home even rooms I don't use for cm on visit
    Way I see it is if I was leaving my kid their I would wont to know every room ESP where my child sleeps

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    How very rude, I would be furious if anyone did that!

I am inspected by social services (no ofsted here thankfully) and at last inspection we were told all rooms are now to be looked at even if not registered for minding. Few local minders werent happy about that but didnt bother me.
    That's how it used to be here under social services. I do think ofsted can look in any room and I have no problem with that.

I don't see the need for parents to look in our private rooms though. I wouldn't walk into a nursery and expect to see the office, kitchen and staff toilets! if parents are leaving their child with me they have to trust me and not be suspicious about the contents of my bedroom!

13. Likes AliceK, loocyloo liked this post
    Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

I do have a problem with parents wanting to look around upstairs, I find it very intrusive and impertinent to assume they have full access to my home.

Children sleep in travel cots in individual rooms - what is there to see?

I have to draw the line somewhere and inviting complete strangers, unvetted, into my home to pokey nose in my bedroom and my childrens bedrooms is the line.

I am inspected and professional and feel that parents should respect this.

The parents are shown around the play areas, kitchen etc... and told how and where their children will sleep, and so far this has been fine.
    I did have a parent want to look around upstairs and I gave them a copy of my policies which strictly requested all parents to respect our privacy and privacy of our family and explained that upstairs was out of bounds, I wrote this after a child wanted to show their dad our new carpet upstairs and dad was going to go and have a look, not asking and in his dirty outdoor shoes too! a quick disapproving look stopped him in his tracks.

Either way what people are comfortable with is fine, I'm not comfortable in showing strangers upstairs.

15. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Koala View Post
    I do have a problem with parents wanting to look around upstairs, I find it very intrusive and impertinent to assume they have full access to my home.

Children sleep in travel cots in individual rooms - what is there to see?

I have to draw the line somewhere and inviting complete strangers, unvetted, into my home to pokey nose in my bedroom and my childrens bedrooms is the line.

I am inspected and professional and feel that parents should respect this.

The parents are shown around the play areas, kitchen etc... and told how and where their children will sleep, and so far this has been fine.
    I did have a parent want to look around upstairs and I gave them a copy of my policies which strictly requested all parents to respect our privacy and privacy of our family and explained that upstairs was out of bounds, I wrote this after a child wanted to show their dad our new carpet upstairs and dad was going to go and have a look, not asking and in his dirty outdoor shoes too! a quick disapproving look stopped him in his tracks.

Either way what people are comfortable with is fine, I'm not comfortable in showing strangers upstairs.
    I don't understand the respecting your privacy part, their child will be sleeping up there so it's not private? If you only used downstairs for minding then Fair enough but if you use part of upstairs for minding parents should be able to see it if they wish. I don't show parents my bedroom but I don't have any problem with them seeing the sleep room where their child would sleep, why shouldn't they have a look?
    I'm sorry but if I was a parent and wanted to see upstairs and you handed me a privacy policy saying I couldn't, I'd be thinking all sorts, it's not out of bounds since my child would be spending their resting hours there. I too am a carpet phobe and HATE anyone going upstairs with shoes on but I'd make them take them off before I showed them upstairs

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

All the mindees I've had have been happy enough to sleep downstairs, and many are too busy to fall asleep anyway (what a polite bunch, not wanting to hurt bunyip's feelings by showing how much he bores them. ) I tried to sleep my first lo upstairs and she would never go down. It reached the point where I only had to set foot on the first tread of the staircase and she'd be crying, so I gave in and followed her lead: let her sleep downstairs. I digress.

I'd have no problem showing a parent any part of my house their child might be allowed into. I'd expect a parent to be very wary if I did anything else.

OTOH, Mrs Bunyip absolutely hates the idea of anyone going upstairs (probably afraid they'll see her big pants. ) We do fall out over this.

Yes, it is our home, but we have crossed a line in deciding to run a business from it - nobody forced us to do that. We can't have it both ways: there are times when the 'private' becomes a lot less private than we might ideally want.

18. Likes ziggy liked this post
    Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    OTOH, Mrs Bunyip absolutely hates the idea of anyone going upstairs (probably afraid they'll see her big pants. )
    Lol!!! She's going to be maaaaaad, that's a woman's secret. Big pants and off white bras should always be kept out of sight! (And off forums lol)

Aug 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have only had one parent take up the offer to look upstairs in my bedroom where the children sleep in a travel cot.

I certainly would not show them my three teenagers' rooms, their children will not be sleeping in there, they often look like war zones and it is the one area of the house that is a private space for my own children.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kellyskidz! View Post
    Lol!!! She's going to be maaaaaad, that's a woman's secret. Big pants and off white bras should always be kept out of sight! (And off forums lol)
    I've no idea why she can't just put them away.

Seriously, it used to be quite simple. Our reg certificates said which rooms could not be used for minding, so no issue as to which rooms parents might ever need to see. I now list the rooms used for minding in my premises risk assessment (though maybe I should risk assess Mrs B's nicks whilst I'm at it. )

22. Likes kellyskidz! liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lozzy23 View Post
    I have only had one parent take up the offer to look upstairs in my bedroom where the children sleep in a travel cot.

I certainly would not show them my three teenagers' rooms, their children will not be sleeping in there, they often look like war zones and it is the one area of the house that is a private space for my own children.
    Even I don't go into my teenagers room, so I cannot for one minute imagine any parent wanting to!

I agree with Bunyip to a point. Yes, we have chosen to use our homes for business, but that doesn't mean we aren't entitled to have privacy as well. There are areas in most businesses that are out of bounds to customers. Why should we be any different?

I wouldn't dream of keeping parents out of any areas that are likely to be used by their children, but see no problem in having private, family only areas.

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kellyskidz! View Post
    I don't understand the respecting your privacy part, their child will be sleeping up there so it's not private? If you only used downstairs for minding then Fair enough but if you use part of upstairs for minding parents should be able to see it if they wish. I don't show parents my bedroom but I don't have any problem with them seeing the sleep room where their child would sleep, why shouldn't they have a look?
    I'm sorry but if I was a parent and wanted to see upstairs and you handed me a privacy policy saying I couldn't, I'd be thinking all sorts, it's not out of bounds since my child would be spending their resting hours there. I too am a carpet phobe and HATE anyone going upstairs with shoes on but I'd make them take them off before I showed them upstairs
    It is private if I say it is , my whole house is private for that matter further more it isn't for anyone to tell me who and what lengths I should allow people into my home - remember it is my house, I may use part of it for a specific purpose but it is not for public viewing and it is my choice to what extent I wish to open it up.

A parent could think what they liked, however, there is mutual respect that has to be recognized. Again like I said it is up to individuals and how they feel comfortable - I don't feel comfortable in allowing parents upstairs and I don't need people telling me the opposite.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

Just imagining going for an induction day at reception and them saying 'we have rooms you can't see, even though your child will go in there' I can imagine how I'd feel. Just can't see an issue with showing people.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast