Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The fb page...

Registered Childminder since
    Nov '11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The fb page...

Does anyone else feel that lots of discussions on there are just turning into rants, competition and fellow cm's having a go at each other?

I'm in 2 minds of it tbh as it just doesn't seem to have the same 'feel' as the forum which is a shame as I love this place and u guys :-)

I don't want the thread to turn into a bashing of the page I just wondered if I am alone in feeling this?

Sept 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

No you are not alone, was thinking the same which is a shame, some people seem to get very aggressive, we are all different and all have our own opinions and ways of doing things, no one is necessarily right or wrong, just different, variety is the spice of life

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i'm not on facebook but I often hear the same comments from people about it!

4. Likes N/A liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Becci ,

I must confess I completely avoid FB in all its forms, as I see and hear so many bad consequences flowing from its use and abuse.

Is the FB page much like this Forum?

I find the Forum invaluable. I find CMing to be very isolating, especially in contrast to my previous job where I knew and worked alongside 100's of colleagues. More so because my local CM group is run like a sort of childcare mafia and my face certainly does not fit.

I love the fact that the Forum has so many facets to it. It can be a place to come for support, practical advice, open discussion, or (sometimes) for the occasional rant. It's amazing that we have a 'one-stop-shop' here for serious news, a bit of joking, lively debate, and an i-hug when needed.

Rants are ok so long as they're to let off steam for a moment and then get on with the rest of life. They're a problem when they begin to feed people's prejudices and inform their thinking (or lack of it.)

One of the biggest dangers of working alone is that we (I) do everything and see everything from our own viewpoint with little else in the way of ideas, opinions and another pair of eyes/ears to help us (me) think there might be another way. That's why differing views and discussion are a vital part of the Forum. I get a huge amount out of the discussions and knowing we can disagree without falling out. But I do notice there often seems to be a 'group mentality' and an expectation that we will all just agree with each other all the time, which can only lead to a bland, sterile forum if perpetuated. There seems to be a notion that any sort of disagreement or non-conformism amounts to 'disrespect' or 'rudeness.' There is a distinct hint of 'defensiveness' to towards those of us who dare to disagree sometimes (hence the unpleasant nature of some of the PMs I receive from time to time.)

I sometimes think Richard should set up a 'Just for Sycophancy' board, where we can post those threads where we only want members who agree with us.

Thankfully, what I've described is the exception rather than the norm. Certainly nothing like enough to put me off what is a fantastic place to meet other CMs.

I also struggle with the undercurrent of anti-nursery, anti-babysitter, anti-parent philosophy that surfaces quite regularly.

I'm not sure now if that amounts to a rant (and possibly a slightly off-topic one at that) - hey ho.

6. Likes loocyloo, N/A liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

im another non-fan of the facebook page. I am really uneasy that a parent can so easily join it, and see everything that is being said, and it at times can seem so unprofessional. I know parents can join this forum, but i would imagine as a parent when you have seen a few posts you would not be inclined to follow it everyday, whereas on the facebook group it constantly appears in your newsfeed, and most people now adays have instant access to facebook through their mobiles so it is always there, every moment of the day.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

I looked up this Facebook page and couldn't find it?

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not on Facebook but have wondered recently if more people are using that now rather than the forum - as it seems to have gone quiet - maybe it's just the nice weather - I just hope we aren't being "diluted".

10. Likes bunyip, N/A liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Which Facebook group is this?

I'm on so many and can never quite remember which is which! I'm very surprised at some of the things that are written, particularly because the poster is so easily identifiable, using either their real name or their business name. Even if the groups are closed it doesn't mean they're safe. I only post things on FB that I'd be happy for the whole world to see, as in theory they could.

aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't seen the fr page. I only use mine for family and friends. This forum suits my needs and I worry about the privacy settings on FBI worry me.

mar06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I love it as it quite easy to access on phone etc like this one but I do agree it is getting very argumentative now and some posts are just uncalled for but I suppose with all big large groups it I going to get that at times

i love seein the photos of settings and they have given me some great ideas and don't feel competition as we only do what is best for us and our own setting

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We are really struggling to admin it to be honest with you.

We have some really good, useful, helpful, inspirational posts and members - and some who just seem to want to pick fights.

I am also starting to suspect we have a couple of trolls who are trying to make trouble

The rules are clear and we are taking posts off if there are complaints - but we can't be on there all day and we are finding that by the time one of us logs on there can be 50+ comments on a thread all attacking / defending etc.

We keep asking members - please tag an admin - please let us know - please stop posting and it will drop down the list - but we aren't being heard.

If anyone has any constructive ideas about how we can better manage it please let us know. We will be very happy to hear from you here or privately.

I think that it is so important that the Childminding Forum has a voice on Facebook. We just need to help each other to police it effectively

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh and out of interest - the forum stats show that it had its busiest month last month - for new members and for posts - so FB is definitely not taking people away from here - they are complementing each other nicely and getting different membership groups interested and involved in sharing good practice

16. Likes VeggieSausage liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

Sarah what is the name of this page?

Can I suggest (if its possible) that the posts are read by admin before becoming public? A pain I know, but could make it more exclusive and friendly.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

https://www.facebook.com/groups/inde...tchildminders/

It's a lovely group - just a few issues which I am tempted to put down to the heat and the odd troll - one of whom we have spotted and is about to be deleted.

xx

19. Likes Roseolivia liked this post
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by charlottenash View Post
    Sarah what is the name of this page?

Can I suggest (if its possible) that the posts are read by admin before becoming public? A pain I know, but could make it more exclusive and friendly.
    I'm not an expert but I don't think you could do it anyway. We wouldn't have time to do that and people want to reply to each other in real time. We try out best to delete incorrect or aggressive comments etc but as Sarah says we can't be on there all the time, we are volunteers with full time jobs!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/inde...tchildminders/

It's a lovely group - just a few issues which I am tempted to put down to the heat and the odd troll - one of whom we have spotted and is about to be deleted.

xx
    If you would like "deleted" to become "liquidated", just give me an address.

Bunyip's Assassination Services Ltd.
    (a wholly owned subsidiary of Bunyip's Childminding Corporation.)

22. Likes Rick, loocyloo, sarah707, funemnx, Roseolivia liked this post
    mar06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post

If you would like "deleted" to become "liquidated", just give me an address.

Bunyip's Assassination Services Ltd.
    (a wholly owned subsidiary of Bunyip's Childminding Corporation.)
    Lmao this mad giggle

sep 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I stopped using it after first day as i was concerned parents may access it

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If it is the same members who post on here how come there is such a Jekyll & Hyde personality change in the way people reply to Facebook posts? - I generally find on the forum that people are polite, I know I generally check my replies before I post to think "is that reply going to upset or offend anyone"

26. Likes VeggieSausage, N/A, chriss liked this post
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    I stopped using it after first day as i was concerned parents may access it
    You would be surprised (or maybe not!) at some of the things we delete. You can obviously see the person's real name and then they go and talk about their minded children or in a way that makes them identifiable, or they post pictures of them. We cannot vet every person but we can make a judgment on individuals and remove them if they are aren't respecting the rules of the group.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast