Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Emergency cover

Registered Childminder since
    May 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Emergency cover

I have my neighbour, (not crb checked for Ofsted but has one for preschool) down as my emergency back up person. All parents have signed to agree to this. BUT, what is classed as an emergency?

Just had a call from my daughters school to say she has banged her head and needs picking up NOW.
    I have a mindee asleep upstairs and one was due to arrive any min.

My hubby is going to pick daughter up, so I don't have a problem but it made me think.

(Of course, if I couldn't get hold of my hubby, I'd have just had to wake sleeping child and taken him with me and texted other mum to say I'd be home in 10 mins.)

When is it an 'emergency' and can you leave children with someone who isn't crb'd in an emergency?

What do you all think?

Jinx x
    X JINX X

Mar 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Emergency cover

Personally I would leave mindees with someoen I would trust with my own children, if there is an emergancy what else are you supposed to do Luckily there are 12 childminders nearby to me and we are all in an emergency plan network so there will always be someoen to have the mindee.

All the parents have signed my emergency network form and are aware of what will happen.

In a dire emergency though when I have to go there and then and wouldn't have time to get child from bed etc then my neighbour would come sit with the children, her front door faces mine so it is literally 2 steps away to get her to come in with the children. All parents are aware of this as well and are happy with it

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Only you can really say what you view as an emergency ...

I would think it would have to be pretty important though ... yes, I would say an emergency pick up of your child; sending a child to hospital; fire; water leak; accident to you; anything that made your premises unsuitable ... that sort of thing.

Hope this helps

Apr 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

That's fine to have an unregistered person as emergency cover. Not everybody has other registered people living close by and in an emergency you don't have time to hang around waiting for people to get to you. Its worth having a few neighbours named as an emergency and have your permission slip allow you to handover care to an unnamed person in an emergency. Because the person you prefer might be on holiday, out shopping or otherwise unavailable when you need them.

I had this discussion with an ofsted inspector. The example she gave me of an emergency was if the childminder had to accompany an injured child in an ambulance. She explained that each circumstance would be considered individually - obviously if you said your emergency was going to the shops cos you ran out of milk it wouldn't go down to well. They would be looking to see that you had done the best you could do in whatever situation you found yourself in.

registered 2003
    Post Thanks / Like

My emergency person is not CRB checked and my inspector was fine with that.

Although another cm lives 4 doors away the inspector said I couldn't call on her if my mindees put her over her numbers.

This thread has made me realise that i do not have a form in place informing parents of my emergency person. Will do that right now as have just finished for the day.

Thanks once again

Sandy x