Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    jan 85
    Post Thanks / Like

Default student finance enquiry

Morning everyone!

I've been asked by a friend and ex-client to have her child while she goes back to Uni. and have places for him before and after school.
    However, she's going to have the childcare covered by their Student Finance, and has phoned me to say I need to fill in some forms etc and give an overview of what I'd be charging and Student Finance will then "offer" me a set fee, they're not prepared to tell her how much that might be.

I'm assuming here that the "offer" is unlikely to be what I'm charging, - can anyone advise me what reduction to expect?
    Also, does anyone know if they would cover costs for the school holidays?
    Would it be sensible to add some onto my figures so that if they offer less, it's not too much of a shock? Or is that too sneaky!!!!

feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure if it will be the same amount but one of my mums was a student nurse, the NHS gave her 85% of the childcare fees and she had to top up the rest, so I filled in the forms and told them what the average monthly fee wuld be and they gave her 85% of that and she gave me the rest to make it up to the full fee iyswim? so I expect it will be similar and they will probably give the childcare money to her not to you directly and then she will have to give it to yu and make up any difference herself

3. Likes vals liked this post
    Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to say it sounds like she is pulling a fast one - its unlikely that they will pay 100% of any fees, the student needs to top you up.

I wouldn't put my fees up to cover shortfall as you have to document this and its not good practice and could be considered fraud, however, your a private enterprise and its up to you.

But tell mum she will have to come up with the shortfall, not you.

jan 95
    Post Thanks / Like

They usually pay at the start of each term, so worth getting your money then too. I have had massive problems with a parent always spending hers and not paying me on time. i am pretty flexible but when parents get the money from student finance or tax credits it makes me cross when they still say they cant afford it.

jan 85
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your comments Guys.
    I'll keep it all in mind when we meet up to fill in the forms and discuss contracts.