Hand towels and drying hands ehat do you do?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hand towels and drying hands ehat do you do?

I have just had my yearly review and with the older children I have hand towels which has their names embroidered on and wash then in a Wednesday and weekend. I have been told that I need to provide a fresh towel each time child goes to bathroom. To go down route of paper towels is really a no go my recycling bin overflows as it is plus I have a child who uses way too much toilet paper and has nearly flooded bathroom once and don't want to give him a chance with paper towels. I am thinking of buying lots of flannels and asking children to use one once and put it in washing bin afterwards.
    Children are born with wings we help them to fly.

Nov '11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good!
    Post Thanks / Like

I use flannels, folded in a basket and the children put them in the bin once they have dried their hands, I then wash them daily/ every other day depending on quantity.

I picked mine up in primark very cheap and they have washed well

3. Likes watgem liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I use kitchen towel

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I put out 1 clean towel every day and all the children use it for that day. I was told by EH that this was fine and when Mrs O questioned it I told her the same thing. She was fine with it.

xxx

6. Likes Dragonfly liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have a stack of face cloths and the children put them in a basket with a laminated 'put towels here' label on it for hot washing every day

8. Likes watgem liked this post
    sept 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I use individual flannels but only wash them every couple of days. I had one towel for all originally but this was recommended by childminding network worker

aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I put out a clean towel every day. Sometimes change it during the day.

11. Likes Dragonfly liked this post
    aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Forgot to say I put out kitchen roll for e h Might use face towel but will need another trip to ikea.

Feb 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Blooming heck that sounds like a lot of washing. Separate towels wouldn't have occurred to me. I'm learning a lot on this forum.

Apr 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I picked up a load of white face cloths from Wilkos on line. They worked out at 30p each so I bought 30 so that I only need to wash them every other day unless its the holidays. I did a test run with kitchen roll but found that it was very expensive even though I only have economy brand.
    I'm not paranoid - the world IS out to get me!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tazmin68 View Post
    I have just had my yearly review and with the older children I have hand towels which has their names embroidered on and wash then in a Wednesday and weekend. I have been told that I need to provide a fresh towel each time child goes to bathroom. To go down route of paper towels is really a no go my recycling bin overflows as it is plus I have a child who uses way too much toilet paper and has nearly flooded bathroom once and don't want to give him a chance with paper towels. I am thinking of buying lots of flannels and asking children to use one once and put it in washing bin afterwards.
    Whenever I see the phrase, "I have been told....." a little part of my (admittedly small) brain asks, "told - by whom?"

16. Likes Dragonfly, AliceK liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Who is this yearly review with and why do you have to do what they say? Some of my mindees can go to the toilet 6 times a day, I'm not doing that much washing. I did the individual flannels for single use for a while but with after toilet/before baking/after baking/after playing outside/messy play/before eating/after eating it got ridiculous how many I was using and having to do a washload every day just for flannels. Each child had their own towel and they get washed at least weekly, or more if needed, Ofsted inspector was happy with that.

pre-reg
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I use the Haren flannels and hand towels from Ikea. The flannels are 4 for £1 and the hand towels £2 each. I bought 4 different colours. I put a towel out in the bathroom for each child to use during the week and have a small basket of flannels in the kitchen. The flannels get changed daily, or sooner if needed. The towels seem to last for the time the children are here in the week. I did find that the blue towels and flannels ran the first time I washed them though and turned the yellow ones a bit of a murky colour, so I've been more careful in washing them first time since.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tazmin68 View Post
    That's what I do!! Lots of white flannels bought in a pack from Ikea! Children dry hands then pop in bin for washing. Put on hot wash once or twice a week depending on what I am working and how many children I have!!

dec 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Paper towels every time. X

jan 95
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a towel for each child that gets washed 'regularly'. I will happily tell Mrs O why that is more than sufficient if asked. Remember, this is to dry clean hands with. no reason at all to use a different one each time.

June86
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I use face-cloths bought quite cheaply, used once then put in the basket for washing, no confusion with different children attending different days having different colours. I find it much easier and hot wash every day or so depending on how many used. I would need a super sized bin for paper re-cycing if I used paper towels, mine is full every two weeks as it is.

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Paper towel here, then I pop them into recycling at end of day x

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i have a handtowel in bathroom that everyone uses. It''s changed daily unless really wet/dirty then changed mid way through day.

For after meals, flanels are used once only then washed. Fresh ones for each meal.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Decembe
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Confused Is there a right and wrong ?? Using a towel/face cloth once to dry hands and put in the wash seems a tad excessive, after all their hands are clean.

Surely a clean one every couple days, for each child, depending how much it is used is ok ?

Why aren't things simple

26. Likes vals liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast