Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Would you spend this amount on your childminding kids

My kids are all grown up, youngest is 19!!

I am tempted to get the children one of these, but it's a lot of money. I currently have 8 month x 5 days, 11 month x 4 days, 20 month x 2 days, 3 year old x 4 days, 7 year and 10 year (after school).

They are going for about £350 near me on Ebay.

Buy Little Tikes Tropical Playground from our Activity Sets range - Tesco.com

I have the Step 2 kangaroo jumper on the decking for the little ones, but nothing for the older ones.
    littletreasures xx

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

To be honest... no.
    We go to the playground, we have tree stump and planks to climb on and there are sets like this at toddler group and the play centre we go to. I avoid plastics wherever possible as they do not weather well long-term, can not be repaired and are really nasty to the environment.
    Also it is not very 'open-ended', meaning it really only is what it is. An alternative would be a pile of milk crates, planks, an old tyre etc which the children can use in a thousand ways being forced to use their own imaginations. Also, that would be much cheaper, and sustainable environmentally.

3. Likes hectors house liked this post
    Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

link isn't working for me hon. how much is it? i got a little tikes 2 x slilde with tunnel/playhouse. I paid £75 second hand. It's about £400 new. I def. wouldn't pay full price.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

No I wouldn't they had one at the nursery I worked at and when the kids reach the bottom of the slide they drop a foot to the ground. Hurt their bums and backs until they were big enough to stop them selfs with their feet. A few also stopped with their feet and then flipped and fell flat on their face.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

No, I couldn't convince myself to spend that much if my own children weren't going to benefit. Hubby would go mad too. x

Jul 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I would probably spend that much but only on something wooden. I don't like the Little Tikes things because they fade really quickly and just don't seem to last all that long. For that sort of money I would want something that will look good for the next 10 years!! I have had a wooden TP swing/slide combo and a wooden playhouse for some years now. I restain them each spring and they always come out looking as good as new.

8. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Juggler View Post
    link isn't working for me hon. how much is it? i got a little tikes 2 x slilde with tunnel/playhouse. I paid £75 second hand. It's about £400 new. I def. wouldn't pay full price.
    It's £470 Juggler. That's why I'm hesitating.

I like the idea of milk crate and planks. Need to find a friendly milkman.

Maza, my thoughts exactly. My children say we never had that, even now if I get something for the minded kids, lol!

I did think there was quite a drop from the bottom of the slide.

Off to think again now.
    littletreasures xx

10. Likes Maza liked this post
    Jul 04
    Post Thanks / Like

I MIGHT spend that much, but not on one of these. It's a worthwhile investment if you plan on keeping your business running for years to come, but these plastic play-sets just aren't worth the money, especially at this price.

sept 93
    Post Thanks / Like

no sorry i wont pay that much way to expensive

Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind spending the money but I would buy something wooden. Also you mentioned it was for the older ones, I couldn't see a 10 year old playing on this. I think you should look around for something better or as suggested some open ended resources.

14. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Jul 11
    Post Thanks / Like

No I wouldn't. I have a toddler slide in my garden, bits of wood to create an obstacle course, favourite at the minute, and a toddler trampoline. Slide and trampoline are my children's. however I live a street away from a traditional playground( swings, roundabout type) and several streets away(same place just further up) from a natural( all wood and bark) playground so I get out a lot even with limited time after school.

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a lot of money for a slide, how would you stop the younger children going on it?

dec 09
    Post Thanks / Like

They have one of these at our local toy library. Kids love it!! If I had the money I'd def get one

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

No I wouldn't we have a park nearby.

oct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I like it and i would like one for my garden but not at that price. I wouldnt pay the £350 on ebay either. My youngest son is 10 and i could not justify spending that much money. I do however have a similar smaller version that was my sons. I have had it for over 10 years and it is still going strong.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you looked on ebay, gumtree, trade it, newspaper adverts etc? - I rarely buy anything new for mindees.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We had something similar a few years ago. They're really not big enough for older children, who just leap around on them, climbing up the wrong way & leaping off - not something you want the little ones copying. Also, as my children got older, i didn't want a big plastic climbing frame in the garden.

On the plus side, they do hold their price well, so you can normally resell them easily enough. I sold mine for about the same price as I paid for it.

I'd have thought 7 & 10yr olds would love old tyres, planks of wood etc, and get much more fun out of them.

oct 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I have one (secondhand) and the children love it! All ages use it so I'd say look for a second hand one x

dec 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I would buy it but only as I know my own children would use it too, I personally don't work enough hrs to justify it just for mindees but you do as you work full time.
    I have to disagree with other comments about little tikes not lasting, I have a coupe car it's 15yrs old and there's nothing wrong with it at all, it has lived outside, never put away, I Also have a jungle climber, see saw and a playhouse, all plastic and still going strong years later.
    Little tikes will last forever they are so well made, I wouldn't buy a cheap plastic tbh but you really can't go wrong with little tikes. X

BuggsieMoo Guest

My theory is if I spend more on mindees then I do on my own children (or provide for them) on equipment, days out, treats etc then no. I work to provide for my children first and foremost and secondly for mindees. I can and do provide interesting and filling days on a limited budget both for my mindees and my own 4 children. x If I see something I really like then I have a good hunt around for it second hand and cheaper. xx

I know someone who barely provides for their own children as a NRP but works as a childminder and spends fortunes on the mindees - I see this as wrong and I know their children are also very put out by this. xx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast