Likes Likes:  19
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Help with home time

I look after a brother & sister (3 and 5) and pick both up from school everyday. When Mum comes I hand over in the house, talk about their day say goodbye and shut the door.
    But every day for the past 2 weeks after I've shut the door and gone into the house I've looked outside the front window and seen both children playing in my front garden (which i dont use for minding) for about ten minutes while mum sits on her phone or feebly calls them to the car.
    They've been swinging from the birdbath, kicking up the stones on the driveway and swinging from my gate! I'm the first to admit I'm a wuss so I've not actually said anything formal to mum yet just kind of opening the window to the children to tell them to get down, which of course they ignore.
    I'm worried that the stone birdbath might fall on them or they might injure them selves on the wall etc and mum might argue that they were in my property still? Besides that, I don't want them to be doing it full stop!
    I've considered having the children at the gate ready, but it seems a little extreme?
    I know for a fact that this lack of either me or mum being in charge and taking control is causing the children to behave worse than normal and I'm worried they are going to really hurt themselves.
    Should I write up a type of 'handing over' policy to protect myself in case they do hurt themselves while mum is watching them? Thanks!!

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

If it were me after I had closed the door and said goodbye if I saw them doing that I would personally go out there and firmly remove them (guide them lol) off the premises. Hopefully mum will see that you are a bit cross and that it's unacceptable. If they do it again after that I would speak to mum direct and ask that once they've left your house they do not play in your garden. Time to get tough.

xxxx

3. Likes vals, kellyskidz!, watgem liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would check with your insurance policy, but I would guess that if the children are still on your property, you are liable for any injury, no matter what policy you get mum to sign.

Bite the bullet & speak to her. Tell her that you do not want the children playing on your front garden. If need be, stay at the door until they have left your property & got into the car. Tell the children to stop what they're doing. It's hard to do it the first time, but you will feel so much better for taking control

5. Likes kellyskidz!, blue bear liked this post
    Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks knew really what I'd need to do, probably just needed to hear it/see it lol!
    Will speak to mum next time it happens (which I know will be tonight) and cross my fingers that that's the end of it!xx

jan 95
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a child that kept swinging on the gate until it got loose and I had to get it fixed. The next day, as the usual games began I said to the child - but really to the mum -' I have had the gate mended now, so don't swing on it because I am sure mummy doesn't want to pay for a new one'.
    When the children decided to tread on the plants in the front garden - I had moved pots etc to make it harder for them to get there but they just walked across the flower beds! I spoke to the children nicely about not treading on plants but they still did it once mum was there - so I told them that if they break any of my plants they will have to use their pocket money to replace them.

8. Likes kellyskidz! liked this post
    Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would be having a stern word with the children before mum picks up tonight. Tell them they are not to mess about in the garden, they are to go straight to the car and get in without a fuss! Then when mum picks up just tell her you would prefer it if the children didn't play in your garden as it's not very child friendly (or other excuse!). I always find it hard to be firm with parents but it's your property and if it's annoying you, you have every right to say so.

10. Likes kellyskidz! liked this post
    Feb 14
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the others. I have nothing to add just wanted to wish you luck and let us know how you get on.

12. Likes kellyskidz! liked this post
    Sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps initially try a slightly humorous approach if you're uncomfortable about speaking to her…

Point out to mum that it's "important that they leave the premises after childminding" as "an accident would involve 'far too much paperwork'"

Get eye contact with mum and say the first part clearly and quite sternly, nodding your head as you speak to show that you are serious…then smile and add the second part (as if you'd just thought of it) to lighten the situation.

Hopefully mum will then take stricter action to control them herself!

14. Likes kellyskidz! liked this post
    Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Did it! Spoke to both children on way home saying it is very important you go straight into mummy's car and not go into the front garden as its dangerous for playing in blah blah, etc etc.
    Anyway, that was ignored lol!
    Said goodbye as usual then saw them go to the car, get strapped in and COME BACK to play in the garden so I opened front door straight away and said could you get them down from there (the high wall!) as I don't want them playing in the front anymore, it's not really a place to play and if they fall it means a lot of paperwork (thanks for that one lol!)
    She was fine called them both down and said I keep trying to tell them. Then said to them: we mustn't play here anymore because its not for playing on you know. We shall see if it keeps up. Thanks again for advice!,

16. Likes watgem liked this post
    Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done for taking control

18. Likes kellyskidz! liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Well Done

xxxxx

20. Likes kellyskidz! liked this post
    Feb 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done

22. Likes kellyskidz! liked this post
    Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

well done, keep an eye out for tomorrow and do the same and once the new routine is estabished do a spot check every now and agin to make sure the boundaries dont slip.

24. Likes kellyskidz! liked this post
    Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    West Sussex
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done for dealing with it, hop they are better controlled by mum tomorrow ;-)

26. Likes kellyskidz! liked this post
    aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

So hard to say that. If it goes on just say to mum that she can make her calls before collecting the children and you will add the overtime on her bill. Also this applies of they play in your garden.

28. Likes kellyskidz! liked this post
    sept 93
    Post Thanks / Like

well done you hopefully they wont do it again

30. Likes kellyskidz! liked this post
    Apr 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done you!

32. Likes kellyskidz! liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done and let's hope the message gets through, collection times can be so stressful and 9 out of 10 times its the patents that cause it

34. Likes kellyskidz! liked this post