Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default All funding gone :(

Bah humbug...

Just received a letter from my LA informing me that due to cuts, from April there will be no more free training courses offered in my area (which includes the mandatory ones like First Aid and Safeguarding courses).

I know I'm lucky to have had any free training offered at all as lots of minders have to pay, but it's made me really sad that this is the way things are going. We need all the help we can get at the moment and little by little everything is being chipped away.

Looks like my barely-there profits will have to be stretched just that little bit further
    Life is all about how you handle plan B

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrstom View Post
    Bah humbug...

Just received a letter from my LA informing me that due to cuts, from April there will be no more free training courses offered in my area (which includes the mandatory ones like First Aid and Safeguarding courses).

I know I'm lucky to have had any free training offered at all as lots of minders have to pay, but it's made me really sad that this is the way things are going. We need all the help we can get at the moment and little by little everything is being chipped away.

Looks like my barely-there profits will have to be stretched just that little bit further
    Yes I've heard similar things with our LA. I would have thought having well trained childminders would be of benefit all round so making it free would encourage people to attend.

Feb 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems all the help for childminders is getting cut yet more and more is expected!

Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear that *hug*

Post Thanks / Like

We've had to pay for all our training courses here now for a couple of years only one exempt is safeguarding. First aid is £35 all the others are £25. If we cancel within a week before the course we have to pay £45!!! On top of course fee!! Death in family or hospitalisation doesn't come up as a good enough excuse!!!! As a network minder having to do 18 hrs training every year this is now a big expense!!

Mar 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vickylou View Post
    We've had to pay for all our training courses here now for a couple of years only one exempt is safeguarding. First aid is £35 all the others are £25. If we cancel within a week before the course we have to pay £45!!! On top of course fee!! Death in family or hospitalisation doesn't come up as a good enough excuse!!!! As a network minder having to do 18 hrs training every year this is now a big expense!!
    Safeguarding is £30 for half day, £60 for full day and there is "a non-attendance charge irrespective of reason"

I was hoping to join our network this year too
    Life is all about how you handle plan B

Jul 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

That's such a shame. It seems like funding is drying up in a lot of places. Just before I registered, my council cut all funding, and the DO told me that the number of new childminder application plummeted.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Hhhhmmmm another way to make agencies more appealing me thinks!

jan 95
    Post Thanks / Like

We have to find our own first aid courses. they are about £85.00. We have to pay £40 a year to access the other training, but the schedule has just come out and the courses are all during the week during the day, so not accessible for most childminders.
    How can they say they want a higher quality and qualified level of care for children, but then not run any training that we can do. It feels like this is the start of the agencies as they may be the only way we can access training. Our network has now ended so no criteria anymore to attend training to be in that.

Non childminder member
    Nanny
    Post Thanks / Like

I am just starting out on the road to registration and checked out LA courses this afternoon. £100 for first aid, £20 for safeguarding and the rest are between £20 and £30.

Post Thanks / Like

We have the same £40 a year subscription I wonder if we are in same area?! I have noticed a lot of the more interesting courses are week days and they have put some statutory ones on Saturdays, such as manual handling and health and safety yawn!

oct 12
    Post Thanks / Like

to be honest i dont mind paying for training if it is important, but i do agree that its a shame funding has been cut. The training courses i would like to go on from my local training booklet are always at silly times or far away making it almost impossible to attend.