Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: What plants

Registered Childminder since
    aug 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What plants

Hi All please help , no green fingers here

I have a patio garden so have to grow things in pots

Im rubbish at anything horticultural so want large , fast growing safe plants the kids will love

So far Im thinking lavender and mint as i know they both grow relatively easily and for the smell of course

I just need to inject some greenery into my barren looking grey patio

I want some colour too , so easy to grow abundant flowers please , from seed or bulb im not bothered as log as they will pretty much grow anywhere

My patio is shady , both from sun and wind

Thanks in advance , oh preferably things that are cheap too

x

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Parsley is a really hardy plant. Green and vibrant but no flowers. I love it.

A pack of seeds gives LOADS of plants, they are cheap and cheerful and will last all year and the next and the next.

Curry plant is great and like lavender gives a pungent smell another hardy all rounder - silvery foliage - its beautiful.

I stay clear of the flowers that come out seasonally as you end up spending a fortune, every year.

Krocisima (I dont know how to spell it) bulbs are great annuals and have really cheerful tall bright orange flowers with wonderful grassy foliage, they will come out every year.

Dotting sunflower seeds here and there give a nice surprise when they germinate, I cant resist the giant ones.

Have fun.

aug 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats great thankyou

putting all those on my list for later today , only have one mindee so will be browsing the garden centre

Apr 11
    Post Thanks / Like

We have lots of bulbs planted in pots and the kids love seeing them appear year after year. I love the idea of a herb garden, and growing salad.

Happy planting!

Sept 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget strawberry plants. Just buy a few plants then when they've fruited the trailers will grow over the side of the pots and you can grow more into new pots for the following year. (hope that makes sense). I bought 5 plants 3 years ago and have grown them all the way round the edge of my (very) mini vegetable patch and into lots of pots for friends, I must've had hundreds of strawberries last year and they don't seem to need much looking after, just water when they're in pots. I like growing things that the children can eat even if its only small amounts. (city garden)

aug 05
    Post Thanks / Like

went to the garden centre yesterday and didnt find half of what I wanted

maybe im too eager and its too early

I didnt really want anything that needs propogating but there were limited hardy perennials that can go straight outside that were suitable

ended up getting one very large pot , 6 lavender plants and 3 packets of seeds , parsley , thyme and rosemary

spend £18 already and still alot to get

am I doing this all wrong , maybe i should just be going to the supermarket and buying herb plants that are already growing
    I really do not have a clue