Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Advice on legalities of emergency journeys in cab with no car seats

I don't have a car, so in a situation where a mindee didn't need an ambulance, but did need to be checked by a nurse/ needed prompt medical attention, I was planning on taking them to the minor injuries unit which is 20minutes walk away.

If that happened when we were out and about and not within reasonable walking distance of a treatment centre then I was thinking I would get a cab. I'd strap toddlers into the adult seat belt using the padded seat belt adjuster that I carry, and I'd lie a baby in the footwell of a back seat so that they would be thrown about as little as possible in a crash. But I'm wondering where I would stand with regards to parents/ insurance/ Ofsted etc if I did this.

Anyone able to advise/ offer alternatives?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The rospa site gives info about carrying children in different vehicles -

Carrying Other People's Children Safely | Other Vehicles | In-Car Safety Advice and Information | Road Safety | RoSPA

It is not recommended to drive anyway because you will be distracted / the child might take a turn for the worse etc.

If you think a child needs medical attention that you cannot treat in your house using the first aid you have been trained to do then you should be -

1. Ringing 999

2. Ringing parents to collect / meet their child at the hospital.

It is not your responsibility to take them to minor injuries - parents do that.

I hope this helps

3. Likes rickysmiths, christine e, bunyip liked this post
    Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

The taxi here had two inbuilt car seats, if I needed a taxi for whatever reason I'd be checking they had the appropriate seats.

Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

That's great, thank you! Will use that Rospa info in my policy. Looks like it' 'legal' to not use them, but not ideal, of course.

The licensed cabs in the city centre take pushchairs/ have fold down boosters, but if we go to the city zoo I'd have to phone for a cab or do 2 bus trips home with an injured child I think I'll ring round and try and find a company which can usually offer them at least, so that I can plan to ring the parent to meet me at home and get back by cab asap.

I really don't want to have to rule out taking mindees to the zoo because it is a fab place for children!

Can I ask for some more advice whilst I'm at it?

I have a high back booster seat with 5 point harness which is 8yrs old, and a booster cushion which is about 5yrs old. They've been used about 10 times each, stored out of direct sunlight and the plastic looks absolutely fine. Do you think I should keep them just in case there's an emergency when I need them (can't think what though) or, since they're past the Rospa recommended 5yr life span, should I just get rid of them?

And last one, I promise Is there an statutory adult:child ratio limit for outings? Or is it down to individual risk assessment? And if it's down to individual judgement, what have experienced childminders found is a sensible upper limit? I have a 12, 9 and 6 yr old of my own, so is that going to rule out anything but a trip to the playground across the road whilst I'm minding in the school holidays?
    Last edited by lisbet; 17-02-2013 at 04:16 PM.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lisbet View Post

I have a high back booster seat with 5 point harness which is 8yrs old, and a booster cushion which is about 5yrs old. They've been used about 10 times each, stored out of direct sunlight and the plastic looks absolutely fine. Do you think I should keep them just in case there's an emergency when I need them (can't think what though) or, since they're past the Rospa recommended 5yr life span, should I just get rid of them?

And last one, I promise Is there an statutory adult:child ratio limit for outings? Or is it down to individual risk assessment? And if it's down to individual judgement, what have experienced childminders found is a sensible upper limit? I have a 12, 9 and 6 yr old of my own, so is that going to rule out anything but a trip to the playground across the road whilst I'm minding in the school holidays?
    Your old car seats- The age-of-car-seat issue as no right/wrong answer and can be argued either way. Basically, if it is a real emergency you should not be driving anyway, as said already in other post, - you need to look after/calm down/reassure children and get parents to collect, or their emergency contact, ASAP or call 999 if it is medical. You do not need to take them to hospital yourself, it is not safe to do so- one might go into shock/go unconscious/chock on own vomit when strapped in car seat etc etc. And if it is not that 'emergency' then you let parents take them later in the day anyway.

Adult:child ratio on outings is the same as for child minding in the home- follow the EYFS ratios, but risk assess it for the particular children you have and where you are going.
    Last edited by moggy; 17-02-2013 at 04:28 PM.

7. Likes lisbet liked this post
    Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    Your old car seats- The age-of-car-seat issue as no right/wrong answer and can be argued either way. Basically, if it is a real emergency you should not be driving anyway, as said already in other post, - you need to look after/calm down/reassure children and get parents to collect, or their emergency contact, ASAP or call 999 if it is medical. You do not need to take them to hospital yourself, it is not safe to do so- one might go into shock/go unconscious/chock on own vomit when strapped in car seat etc etc. And if it is not that 'emergency' then you let parents take them later in the day anyway.

Adult:child ratio on outings is the same as for child minding in the home- follow the EYFS ratios, but risk assess it for the particular children you have and where you are going.

Thanks moggy I have no car and can't drive, so only ever had the car seats for my own children's occasional trips in family members' cars. I am just being an overcautious newbie trying to get everything sorted in my head for the future!

dec 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I do drive so would take a lo to the walk in emergency department at our local hospital but only if I was to meet mum there and hand over, she works five mins from hospital so would be silly for her to drive the 15mins to my house to then drive back, but if I didn't drive or had no car then no they would come to me. X

july 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't drive, and I asked advice from early years re taking children in a cab in an emergency and I was told that it would not be a problem, and that it world also bet ok to take then on a day trio in a taxi.
    Not that I have done because I couldn't afford it :-)
    I do have a sentence though in my sickness policy saying that in an emergency I may have to take a taxi and when I have spoken with parents they have all been happy to sign.
    On outings on the holidays I always do a risk assessment when we are using public transport and get the parents agreement.
    Ofsted have been ok with this at my last inspection.

july 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I should have said that I would in the first instance be calling parents to come, this was just information for a real emergency, hoping that never happens though!!!

Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, mum24