Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Enquiries

Registered Childminder since
    Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Enquiries

How do you come across as knowing your stuff when you first start out? I've had a message on my facebook page today saying someone has had two people asking if they know any childminders in the area so has passed my details on to them. And also another childminder has had an enquiry but is full so I've given her my details to pass on to them if it isn't urgent (I have my inspection tomorrow so will be about 2-4 weeks til I get certificate).

I'm quite nervous about speaking to my first enquiry as I don't know what questions they will ask etc and I don't want to seem like I don't know what I'm doing

Any tips?

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you put together a portfolio folder/parent's info folder? It really helps to have something to hand to parents or to refer to if your mind goes blank! In it you can put things like your certificates, policies, fees/holidays, a bit about you and your family, typical day/week activities (I know you don't have mindees yet but just a typical day routine and weekly routine like Toddler Group Monday, library visit Tues, school run times if you do one, meal times/snacks etc etc) to give an idea of the things you do, typical week's menu if you are doing food, photos of you own children (if you have little ones) doing the kind of things you will do with mindees like messy play etc to show children enjoying themselves in your setting, list of schools/nurseries you can pick up/drop off... etc Then you and parent can either sit together and talk through it or hand to parent while you play with child. Keep it by the phone too to remind you if you get questions on the phone.
    On the phone it is good to just ask questions- find out what they need, ages/names of children, hours/days they want; try not to get into details of policies and fees on the phone- best to invite them over for a cuppa and a chat and say you can go through it all then, and remember to take their phone number and email if possible so you can get in touch again easily.
    Just be yourself, be natural and smile- they are more nervous than you usually, especially if they are leaving their baby for the first time.

3. Likes sprinkles liked this post
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Just be yourself. They will respect you for it. I always tell parents that i dont pretend to know it all but have a great support network and will use it for anything i dont know. This forum is great. That also helps to let the parents know you will listen to opinions and respect other views. Or thats how i do it anyway. Hth :-)

5. Likes sprinkles liked this post
    Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    Have you put together a portfolio folder/parent's info folder? It really helps to have something to hand to parents or to refer to if your mind goes blank! In it you can put things like your certificates, policies, fees/holidays, a bit about you and your family, typical day/week activities (I know you don't have mindees yet but just a typical day routine and weekly routine like Toddler Group Monday, library visit Tues, school run times if you do one, meal times/snacks etc etc) to give an idea of the things you do, typical week's menu if you are doing food, photos of you own children (if you have little ones) doing the kind of things you will do with mindees like messy play etc to show children enjoying themselves in your setting, list of schools/nurseries you can pick up/drop off... etc Then you and parent can either sit together and talk through it or hand to parent while you play with child. Keep it by the phone too to remind you if you get questions on the phone.
    On the phone it is good to just ask questions- find out what they need, ages/names of children, hours/days they want; try not to get into details of policies and fees on the phone- best to invite them over for a cuppa and a chat and say you can go through it all then, and remember to take their phone number and email if possible so you can get in touch again easily.
    Just be yourself, be natural and smile- they are more nervous than you usually, especially if they are leaving their baby for the first time.
    Thank you I've not got a parent pack made up yet, I was waiting until after my inspection tomorrow incase my inspector wants to tweak any of my p&ps. I've got my about me page all typed up, just need to print it. Will try and think of a typical daily & weekly routine and make a list of schools/nurseries too.

I'm going to make some leaflets that they can take away too, but again wanted to wait until after my inspection.

Thanks for all the help