Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    oct 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Double pushchair - the best??

Looking at investing in a decent double pushchair. It would have to fold well to fit in the car but other than that I am open to ideas.

What do you think is the best double pushchair?

June86
    Post Thanks / Like

I personally wouldn't have a tandem have had one and found it heavy to push as the bigger child had to sit in the front as only the rear seat went flat for a baby, I dislike those where one child is put underneath the other like the shopping and is close to car fumes, sees only peoples legs etc or has no eye contact with anyone, I use a maclaren side by side twin techno, umbrella folds so fits in the car, both seats lie back, independent hoods, decent sized bags underneath and easy to push and manoeuvre.

3. Likes sharonmanc liked this post
    July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had a number of double pushchairs, including:

Maclaren twin techno, having had the single version with my own two children.

Pros
    Well made, good quality. Easy to fit rain cover. Folds up pretty small, well at least as small as a double can!
    Lays flat, suitable from birth
    Independent hoods

Cons
    Seats quite narrow, but I suppose this is to be expected. Maybe no good for a too tired to walk/three year old as seat is cramped?
    Little wheels were no good for our bumpy tracks to and from on the school run.
    Impossible to steer one handed if I needed to hold hand of a toddler (e.g. when crossing road)
    Too wide to get through door of our local shop and Post Office...enough said

Phil and Teds E3
    Pros
    Very easy to steer one handed and hold hand of aforementioned toddler!
    Comfy ride over rough ground
    Easily accessible shopping basket
    Essentially a single pushchair with benefit of double (with extra seat)

Cons
    Risk of Punctures (I invested in some goo/slime to put in the tyres and carried it with me)
    I wasn't always convinced about the doubles seat being situated where it was- not a very good view out IYSWIM. Buggy board night on impossible to attach with the doubles seat on.
    Sometimes long legged toddlers could cause the bottom of the shopping basket to rip
    Single wheel at front made it difficult to mount pavement especially when loaded up, as it was easy to overbalance.
    Second seat not useable if front seat is in lay flat position, unless you put the second seat on top, then you have to swap them round again should baby wake up!

and now I come to my most prized possession

Mountain Buggy Duet
    Pros
    Eats up rough ground and very good in the snow!
    Nice for little ones to be side by side
    A doddle to push one handed and hold hand of toddler
    Double wheels at front, so a little bit more balanced for mounting pavements.
    Independent hoods, with built in sun visors

Cons
    Expensive but well worth the investment
    Rain cover fiddly to attach underneath
    Might not fir in your boot. I have a Zafira and will sit on end in back without removing wheels
    Punctures (see above)
    Sunshade, like rain cover only available seperately (quite expensive too)
    Can get into local shop/post office but only if I move the national lottery stand and the birthday card rack (much to distaste of shop owner!)

I am looking to get another p&t type pushchair, so at least i have got a single looking one. Have looked at Hauck Freerider and Britax B dual as well, but need to see one in the flesh before I make up my mind!
    Last edited by nipper; 08-02-2013 at 12:18 PM.

5. Likes watgem, samsstars liked this post
    Jun 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the choice of double is a very individual thing depending on how much walking you do, storage space, whether you have existing children of your own, boot space etc.

I have been using a maclaren for the last six months and hate it, the seats are small, it doesnt protect children from the elements well and it's heavy and clunky to push, especially up and down kerbs. However, I walk A LOT, plus I really want something rear facing, so my needs probably differ to yours. I have bought a Firstwheels twin which is great, airfilled tyres, cosy, very manouverable but at 80cm wide doesnt actually fit through my front door so that's going. Silly me. I have borrowed a tandem to try and didn't like it, far too heavy with a toddler in front. Have now bought a Mutsy Urban rider to try with a single seat and duo seat. If that's no good will have to compromise on the rear facing aspect and buy an out and about nipper or similar.
    Apologies for the random full stops. Phone buttons too small, thumbs too big.

Jun 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nipper View Post
    I have had a number of double pushchairs, including:

Mountain Buggy Duet
    Pros
    A doodle to push one handed and hold hand of toddler

Cons
    Might not fir in your boot. I have a Zafira and will sit on end in back without removing wheels
    Punctures (see above)
    Can get into local shop/post office but only if I move the national lottery stand and the birthday card rack (much to distaste of shop owner!)
    Also on my hitlist. Seriously coveting one of these.

8. Likes watgem liked this post
    Sept 04
    Post Thanks / Like

When I was updating my previous buggy (tandem) I opted for the out and about nipper. I've never looked back. So pleased with it that my husband got one for his lot too. So easy to push with one hand. Easy to push uphills. Put the green slime in the tyres though. As we had a puncture every time the hedgerows were cut. This is the buggy for us. However, we don't put it in the boot. Car's not big enough for 6 littlies & the 2 of us!

jan 95
    Post Thanks / Like

a minder friend of mine bought city jogger - sorry I cant remember the name more accurately.Its purple and has two wheels at the front. She said she never thought she would find the perfect buggy, but that this one is. Other minders have bought one too.I have seen the way it folds up, its very easy. If I could afford one I would get one, but I can't justify it at the moment.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I love my out and about nipper too...fits through most doorways and is easy to push even with 2 toddlers in it....a bit bulky to fold and store but fits in the boot of my focus with the front wheel off

12. Likes moggy liked this post
    Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a phil and teds, a mcclaren twin triumph and a nipper 360 double, the nipper wins hands down, easy to push one handed, lovely rooney seat that lay flat, good storage space, I take my wheels off and fold it nice and flat for the boot, it just makes it easy and lighter to lift.

Dec 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I've had a couple of doubles too - maclaren types mainly - which i found heavy and hard to push.

I absolutely LOVE my out n about nipper - it is fab -easy to push, comfy for kids, not too heavy to lift in and out the car, fits easily (more easily that the maclaren types) in the boot with all the 7 seats up (in a sedona) and I wish I'd bought it years ago!

feb 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vals View Post
    a minder friend of mine bought city jogger - sorry I cant remember the name more accurately.Its purple and has two wheels at the front. She said she never thought she would find the perfect buggy, but that this one is. Other minders have bought one too.I have seen the way it folds up, its very easy. If I could afford one I would get one, but I can't justify it at the moment.
    I have this one too and love it! Did have a graco one and thought it was great until I got this one-so much better

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Got 2: Little Nipper which is light and flexible and the handle is a good height (I prefer this one) and a Mothercare Odyssey which is also 3 wheels but heavier (a good second choice). Both lie down flat, havey cosytoes and are easy to fold into the car
    Debbie

Post Thanks / Like

Have had various and find Mountain Buggy best - same width as a wheelchair so goes through most doorways and easiest to push. You can pick them up second hand / eBay for £50-£100! Easy to fix too.

coffee-time Guest

ive got this one which i bought a few months ago after my last one broke, its surprisingly easy to push, even with a 3 year old in the front and 2 year old in the back, only the back seat fully reclines which is fine for me as i really only use it for school runs at the moment.

My Child Sienta Duo - Turquoise | Double & Tandem Pushchairs | ASDA direct

May 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I love my nipper! Very easy to push, fits through doors easily etc. I got mine 2nd hand for 50 quid, although it isn't in the best condition now it was money well spent and when I replace it I will get another 1

May 13
    Post Thanks / Like

I've a croozer 2 ! I love it we bought it for our kids . It's expensive but ace !!!!! It's got a huge storage area at the back great for picnics or going to the beach, folds flat we can get of in Zafira with all seats up with wheel off, you can have little wheels on the front or a big wheel for rough ground and running or you can attach it to your bike and pull it with that! It all comes in the cost of the buggy, it's called a trailer but its been brill! You do have to buy an attachment for tiny babies but I would say its worth it ! We've had ours 3 years and you can put a kids in it upto the weight of 50kg!! When we go to the super bikes our 5 year old gets in to have a nap! HTH

Jun 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nipper View Post
    and now I come to my most prized possession

Mountain Buggy Duet
    Pros
    A doddle to push one handed and hold hand of toddler
    Double wheels at front, so a little bit more balanced for mounting pavements.
    Independent hoods, with built in sun visors

Cons
    Punctures (see above)

Oh hell, just accidentally bought one. I blame you

May have to ditch my other three quick sharp now, before DH has me sectioned

22. Likes MessybutHappy, nipper, eddie liked this post
    July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

LauraS how do you 'accidentally' buy a mountain buggy?

Enjoy

Oh and by the way, don't expect your husband to understand!

oct 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thank you all for your replies! Seems it is a matter of personal choice though. I really like the Mountain buggy ones, feel the nipper one would be difficult to get in my car and think I quite like the baby jogger for the way it folds.

I would mainly be putting it in the back of the car rather than walking from home so the fit is important.

Decisions, decisions......

oct 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LauraS View Post
    Oh hell, just accidentally bought one. I blame you

May have to ditch my other three quick sharp now, before DH has me sectioned
    If I had 4 pushchairs my husband would leave me! Think I have just experienced pushchair envy

Mind you I can hardly get my single and the rubbish tandem one I hate in my garage!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast