Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Jun 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Children and Families Bill

Released this morning. Very little new information on there, but allows for the registration of agencies on the childcare register and the registration of providers of domestic childcare within the agencies.

It allows for inspections to be charged for where they are carried out at the request of the childcare provider or where the Secretary of state requires that they do so (interesting!?)

It repeals the requirement on LAs to carry out childcare sufficiency audits (seeming more likely that the LAs days are numbered?)

Cant post link on phone but easily googleable

Has not satisfied my need for more information at all :s
    Apologies for the random full stops. Phone buttons too small, thumbs too big.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Here is the bit that concerns us

Childcare reform: the Government is reforming childcare to ensure the whole system focuses on providing safe, high-quality care and early education for children. The Bill introduces childminder agencies which will enable more flexible childminding and removing bureaucracy so that it is easier for schools to offer ‘wrap-around’ care.Looks like the government ignored us on the agencies

More flexible childminding how by being able to take on one more child thats not being flexible.

More schools to offer wrap round care surely that reduces our substainablility.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    Here is the bit that concerns us

Childcare reform: the Government is reforming childcare to ensure the whole system focuses on providing safe, high-quality care and early education for children. The Bill introduces childminder agencies which will enable more flexible childminding and removing bureaucracy so that it is easier for schools to offer ‘wrap-around’ care.Looks like the government ignored us on the agencies

More flexible childminding how by being able to take on one more child thats not being flexible.

More schools to offer wrap round care surely that reduces our substainablility.
    Am I being totally thick here? I thought the agencies thing was something being considered not actually happening for definate!
    If all else fails......add glitter!

Jun 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silvermist View Post

Am I being totally thick here? I thought the agencies thing was something being considered not actually happening for definate!
    It's being read in the house of commons for the first time. It's got three readings, three more in lords, some amendments and approval to go before being law. I would say it's more than being considered, it's in the process of being made law, but could be thrown out if decided against in parliament.

6. Likes FussyElmo, silvermist, Ripeberry liked this post
    Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it was the same sort of 'consultation' as employers do with staff before they make them redundant. Disgracefully quick even for a sham consultation!

8. Likes silvermist liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LauraS View Post
    It's being read in the house of commons for the first time. It's got three readings, three more in lords, some amendments and approval to go before being law. I would say it's more than being considered, it's in the process of being made law, but could be thrown out if decided against in parliament.
    I agree I think we can take the word "considering" out of the equation and they are WANTING to make this law

jan 85
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree I think we can take the word "considering" out of the equation and they are WANTING to make this law
    In my poinion we can also take the word Voluntary out when talking about Agencies

11. Likes Wheelybug liked this post
    Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

What a flamin' nightmare!

We need to keep getting our views out there guys, leaflet drops etc!

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

What a flamin' nightmare!

We need to keep getting our views out there guys, leaflet drops etc!
    We do and lets get the letters/emails out to our mps as well

14. Likes silvermist, Ripeberry liked this post
    Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Definately!

Jun 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

http://services.parliament.uk/bills/...dfamilies.html

Here...

First link points 73 to 75 is the summary, second link (the pdf) page 149ish onwards is the proposed legislative changes.

Jan12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you think these agencies are going to come into effect this year? Just trying o work out ow long I have left as a childminder before I'm forced to find another job

Non childminder member
    Accountant
    Post Thanks / Like

Like all legislation the Bill itself is a bit difficult to digest, so I have produced a summary - linked from Twitter, but reproduced below:

Childminder Agencies – is that it?

The Department for Education published the Children and Families Bill 2013 today. This Bill contains long-awaited details of the proposed “Childminder Agencies” – but of course these are buried in 191 pages of legal-speak. To cut through this Childminder Focus has prepared a summary of what the Bill sets out for childminders and agencies.

Registration

Childminders will be able to register with agencies instead of Ofsted.

Agencies will decide whether the requirements for registration are satisfied (i.e. they do the checks on CRB, qualifications etc.), and can impose additional requirements of its own. Unlike Ofsted they will not be obliged to register anyone who meets the requirements, they can pick and choose.

There may be regulations preventing someone from registering with more than one agency, or with an agency and with Ofsted.

Agencies

Anyone (including a company or other legal “person”) may apply to be an agency, and if they meet the requirements Ofsted must register them.

Ofsted may inspect individual childminders registered under an agency, but Ofsted’s report on an agency is only required to cover the services provided by the agency to the childminders registered with it and the quality of its leadership and management. Ofsted will not be required to report on the care provided by childminders registered under an agency. The implication of this is that the only sources of information about the quality of care provided by an individual childminder are the childminder themselves and the agency.

No Change

Ofsted will still be obliged to maintain the existing registers, inspect those on the registers, and admit anyone to the registers who is not disqualified and meets the conditions for registration – agencies will not be compulsory for anyone. Of course Ofsted may revise their fees for registration and inspection, but it remains to be seen how much an agency would need to charge to remain viable.

Agencies will not be allowed to provide childcare, individual childminders will continue to do that so the contract, and the payment, stays between the childminder and the parent with the agency not required to take any risk on either side (e.g. of replacement care in case of the childminder’s unavailability, or non-payment by parents).

So you might ask – is that it? The only change for childminders seems to be that they can register with “an agency” instead of Ofsted. It remains to be seen what advantages that might have.

Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info, I cant help wonder if we will all have to register with agencies eventually. I became self employed as a childminder for the following reasons, I love working with children, I was bullied by a previous employer and never want to go through that again so being my own boss sounded great.

I think agencies will have their 'favourites' and other minders will be left in the dark.

20. Likes lilac_dragon liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

How many will join just because of the incentive of no ofsted. Its becoming a very sad day indeed

22. Likes silvermist liked this post
    Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

How many will join just because of the incentive of no ofsted. Its becoming a very sad day indeed
    Exactly! I feel very sad about it too. x

24. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Nov 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Elizabeth Truss, Education Minister, 05 February 2013, 4:20pm
    This change will enormously help professionals, parents and children alike. Similar organisations in France and the Netherlands have proven successful, and those countries have many more childminders (relative to population) than we do in England.

Networks of childminders, nurseries and schools have all expressed a keen interest in running agencies. We will pilot them in September 2013 and I hope that they will be fully operational a year later. Childminders can choose to join these agencies or continue to operate independently.

A further simplification will also help families and childminders. Where an agency or independent childminder has been approved by Ofsted, they will be able to offer funded provision for three and four-year-olds without the need to jump through additional hoops at local authority level.

The current system is needlessly complicated and burdensome. More importantly, the change will mean that more money gets to the front line and that professionals are able to focus on their actual job – looking after children. And it will be a major step forward in allowing childminders to be treated on a par with nurseries.

Where a childminder or an agency is judged by Ofsted to be "good" or "outstanding", they will be able to offer places for two-year-olds without the need for additional local authority approval.

I hadnt heard that before now! Did I blink and miss that bit!!!

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Elizabeth Truss, Education Minister, 05 February 2013, 4:20pm
    This change will enormously help professionals, parents and children alike. Similar organisations in France and the Netherlands have proven successful, and those countries have many more childminders (relative to population) than we do in England.

Networks of childminders, nurseries and schools have all expressed a keen interest in running agencies. We will pilot them in September 2013 and I hope that they will be fully operational a year later. Childminders can choose to join these agencies or continue to operate independently.

A further simplification will also help families and childminders. Where an agency or independent childminder has been approved by Ofsted, they will be able to offer funded provision for three and four-year-olds without the need to jump through additional hoops at local authority level.

The current system is needlessly complicated and burdensome. More importantly, the change will mean that more money gets to the front line and that professionals are able to focus on their actual job – looking after children. And it will be a major step forward in allowing childminders to be treated on a par with nurseries.

Where a childminder or an agency is judged by Ofsted to be "good" or "outstanding", they will be able to offer places for two-year-olds without the need for additional local authority approval.

I hadnt heard that before now! Did I blink and miss that bit!!!

So you telling me a cm I know who at her last inspection was graded inadequete but our local ey team went in and basically put everything in place and on her reinspection got a good. Will now be able to provide funding she would not have been allowed to under our LA rules.

Head is being bashed against a brick war

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast