Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 carseats??

Registered Childminder since
    dec 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 3 carseats??

Just about to sit driving test in next few weeks so thinking about cars, seats etc. not got a car yet so after some advice, what cars fit 3 carseats in the back? Really don't want a people carrier, 7 seater type car. Also, if no car fits 3 carseats in the back could I pop one in the front? My mindees range in age but during the day it's most likely to be a 15month old and two nearly 3 year olds. Any advice would be great :-)

Post Thanks / Like

I think if you put one in the front you just need to check there isn't an airbag fitted, or it there is, its been disabled.
    I've got Britax prince car seats, they are quite narrow so you might get three of them across the back seat of an average size car.

Cathy

Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a honda Jazz, and can fit 2 brittax prince and also a kiddicare high backed booster with 5 pint harness across the back, they are all quite narrow and fit really well, about to get a zafira so will have to rework everything

Sep 07
    Post Thanks / Like

If you have got two car seats but not enough space in the back for a third, a child age 3 and over is allowed legally to sit between the 2 seats without a booster. Safer in the back like that than in the front.

Good luck with you test. x

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

U need to turn off front airbag if the child seat is rear facing. If its forward facing keep airbag on but put seat back as far as it will go to avoid airbag injury to child. U can have child in front seat if u can't fit them all in back. :-)

6. Likes AliceK liked this post
    Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

In the Renault Clio I have a Britain prince on the lap belt in the middle and two mania hiigh back booster with full harness in. Snug but fits safely.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have one of these:

Willis Motor Company - Skoda Octavia London Dealership

I have had a Skoda Octavia for 11 years now and love them. Room on the back seat for 3 seats and most models now have a switch in the front gove compartment where you can isolate the air bag in the front if you want to. It has 3 full seat belts in the back.

It is economical, I have always had diesel and I currently get appox 50 miles to gallon out of a 4 year old car around town and 55 to 60 on a long trip.

The boot is so big I can get a buggy two car seats and a French Horn in plus many assorted cm bags and car stuff and sons huge school bag!! It is so big that at 5' 5" if I try to reach the very back behind the back seats my feet leave the ground!

It is a very good sized family car and comfortable to drive and to ride in.

Not expensive to insure or service and mine is only £100 Road Tax.

They have always been reliable and the dealership we first bought from and still use even though we don't live in the area any more (dh has a Skoda as well) have always been helpful and we have felt we have got a good and fair deal when changing for a newer model.

July 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a Vauxhall Vectra and can fit 3 car seat in the back and the boot is very big. I have no problem putting a double buggy in it.
    Cherry x

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have just bought another renault scenic and as I loved the first one so much we are keeping it for my daughter - easily got 3 car seats in back and room in boot for buggy and 2 dogs! Good luck on your driving test.

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got a Renault Espace and these fit most car seats in as the seats are completely separate and nice and wide...the same is true for the 2 seats in the boot, the boot space is pretty rubbish with both back seats in though, My Phil & Ted twin won't fit in there.Also you have to remove the boot seats completely if you want them out of the way and I cannot carry them into my house they're that heavy!

Previously we had a Vauxhall Zafira and although you needed narrower child seats the boot seats were much easier to put up and down as they slide into the floor of the car.still tiny boot with both boot seats up though....I think i need to invest in a bus next time or a trailer

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i know you said you didn't want a 7 seater ... BUT! ...

i have a toyota verso corolla, totally reliable, lovely to drive and easily fits 3 seats across the back with a big boot. PLUS, 2 pop up seats in the boot IF you need them ( not much boot space after ) but proper sized seats in the boot and car seats fit well! but when they are folded down, the boot is flat & you wouldn't know they are there!

it doesn't look, feel or drive like a 'big' car which was a huge factor in me having this car!

not sure about front airbag being swtiched off, i rarely use front seat and if i do, eldest child with me goes in it (usually my own!) and seat is as far back as possible.

dec 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh this is good, wasnt sure any car would actually fit three seats in back or if we were allowed to use car seats in front seat. For some reason I thought we weren't?!

Mar 06
    Post Thanks / Like

good luck with your driving test

Nov '11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good!
    Post Thanks / Like

We had a Volvo v40, and fitted 3 car seats in the back, it was a snug fit and took a little bit of fiddling around but once they were in they certainly won't going anywhere!

dec 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. Only one garage near me so good to hear 3 seats will fit :-)

aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought all children had to be in a car or booster seat until much older. I didn't know children aged 3and up could sit in a car without a booster seat. Must look it up. Personally I would be happier having a child in a car seat in the front than between 2 car seats.

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a Volvo V70 and I can get 3 full size car seats in the back no problem.
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Ive just done a google search on 'age for car seats' and found some scary but interesting info. It was on the first link. See what you think.

Nov '11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jackie 7 View Post
    I thought all children had to be in a car or booster seat until much older. I didn't know children aged 3and up could sit in a car without a booster seat. Must look it up. Personally I would be happier having a child in a car seat in the front than between 2 car seats.
    Agreed!! There is no way I would be putting a 3 year old in the middle without a car seat - ludicrous!
    I worry enough when my 8yo goes in the middle without a booster!

Apr 11
    Post Thanks / Like

http:/www.gov.uk/child-car-seats-the-rules
    Hope the link works.

I thought it was weight, not age?

We had a xsara picasso and that fitted 3 car seat (2 maxi cosi's and high back booster in the middle) really well. We've had to change to a zafira for the extra seats but it's a bit snigu in the back with the 3 seats in a row.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast