Lock box for confidential paperwork?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Reg Jan
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Lock box for confidential paperwork?

Hi, can anyone tell me where I can a lock box for all my paperwork? I currently keep it all in a cupboard with a magna lock on but apparantly this is not good enough. Needs to be bigger than A4 ideally to keep LJ in, thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like

I got mine from WHSmiths - it's metal, lockable and has suspended A4 files in it - I use these for the children's confidential stuff.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

3. Likes watgem, rickysmiths liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have mine in a lockable filing cabinet, but that's only because I was given one.

Who said your locked cupboard is not good enough?

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I keep mine in a locked cupboard too. I've never been told it's a problem?

xxx

pre-reg
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I use the NCMA toolkit box. That came with a little padlock.

7. Likes lucyD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you have an Aldi close by they have them for £9.99 at the moment, it's a lockable fire safe cox with suspendable files

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine is also in the NCMA Tolkit box with the pathetic little padlock. Anybody with a posable digit could have it open in a flash, but why bother when it comes with a convenient handle so they could lift it and do a runner? Ofsted and my DO are however delighted with it.

Really the best approach is not to let any freaks in the house, but I guess that's not good enough for Ofsted.

10. Likes watgem, moggy liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    Mine is also in the NCMA Tolkit box with the pathetic little padlock. Anybody with a posable digit could have it open in a flash, but why bother when it comes with a convenient handle so they could lift it and do a runner? Ofsted and my DO are however delighted with it.

Really the best approach is not to let any freaks in the house, but I guess that's not good enough for Ofsted.
    I don't know if the NCMA ones have changed now, but at one time they were folded plastic with those tabs and slots to clip it together. Yes, you could padlock the front, but you could also unfold the bottom and sides with no effort at all!

12. Likes watgem liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I keep all my paperwork in a box under the bed. Dont think it has lid on never mind a lock.

Ofsted were fine with it - like I pointed out if someone had broken to take the details then a box with a lid on wasnt much deterent. Also any self respecting thief should go for the tv or bank statement not cm contracts
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

14. Likes Mouse, AliceK liked this post
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That's the point really. It will stop the nosey people but I think my 2 year old could probably get in eventually

Reg Jan
    Post Thanks / Like

Was told by a fellow childminder that she got 'told off' by ofsted as hers was in a cupboard with magnet lock & it needed to be a key lock cupboard or box! I too have the NCMA tool kit but got mine from ebay & there is no padlock on it

hmmm not sure what to do now. Have first graded insp soon & dont want to ruin with something silly like this

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lucyD View Post
    Was told by a fellow childminder that she got 'told off' by ofsted as hers was in a cupboard with magnet lock & it needed to be a key lock cupboard or box! I too have the NCMA tool kit but got mine from ebay & there is no padlock on it

hmmm not sure what to do now. Have first graded insp soon & dont want to ruin with something silly like this
    Just buy a small padlock from a hardware store or homebase.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lucyD View Post

My Ofsted inspector was more concerned that I file all the Ofsted guidance documents in a 'Mickey Mouse' ringbinder. But she couldn't downgrade any judgements because of it.

19. Likes mum24, madison liked this post
    feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

My ncma box is rubbish, when you have quite a few children it kind of bows out, so even though it locks at the front someone with skinny fingers could pull all the files out of the sides lol. I will have to look at WHSmith, thanks for sharing

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My Ofsted inspector was more concerned that I file all the Ofsted guidance documents in a 'Mickey Mouse' ringbinder. But she couldn't downgrade any judgements because of it.
    Ha, I have a Mickey Mouse ring binder too (so what I say!)

pre-reg
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I had my inspection recently and she specifically asked were my permission forms, accident and incident info etc kept in a locked box. So I unlocked it in front of her to get out the paperwork she'd asked to see.
    I agree there are easier ways to get into the NCMA toolkit box than via the lock!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_Knight View Post
    Ha, I have a Mickey Mouse ring binder too (so what I say!)
    Tell them it's cos you're a "visual thinker" and give them your best "if the cap fits, then wear it" smile.

july 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Samcat View Post
    I had my inspection recently and she specifically asked were my permission forms, accident and incident info etc kept in a locked box. So I unlocked it in front of her to get out the paperwork she'd asked to see.
    I agree there are easier ways to get into the NCMA toolkit box than via the lock!

I have had 3 inspections and not once have i been asked where i keep my paperwork. It is locked as it happens, but the only person who has asked is the ncma do.

I was given a small office filing cabinet, the kind that fits under the desk, with a lock and i keep stuff in there. What a palaver about nothing, honestly.

Jan 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got a table-top lockable unit with drawers(one for each child) I think it came from Makro x