advice please regarding payment
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    apr 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Default advice please regarding payment

I look after a a 2 yr old 2 mornings a week whilst mum is on maternity leave. In july it will go back up to full time.

She collected him today and as she was leaving said 'oh what nursery do you collect from as can't wait for A to get free 15hrs childcare. I said I don't really as other 3yrs are using theirs with me (FEEE). But if she want to discuss it I can see. But just to be aware that as I will be taking and collecting I will still charge whilst he is at nursery because he'd taking up a place and I am responsible for him.

She went all funny and said its not fair as I can fill my places from 9-12!!!!! And we will have to sit down and talk as she's not happy.

I explained that I am happy to offer the 15 hrs here as he's very happy, gets on with others, like coming etc.

Should I stick by my chargers or reduce them as he's full time?
    Do people charge whilst children are at nursery?

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If she is expecting you to take and coollect then charge as in theroy its not 9-12 but 915/930 to 1215/1230 that the spcae will be.

You are also using the funding hours so she could use it with you not send to a nursery.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by busybee_mummy View Post
    I look after a a 2 yr old 2 mornings a week whilst mum is on maternity leave. In july it will go back up to full time.

She collected him today and as she was leaving said 'oh what nursery do you collect from as can't wait for A to get free 15hrs childcare. I said I don't really as other 3yrs are using theirs with me (FEEE). But if she want to discuss it I can see. But just to be aware that as I will be taking and collecting I will still charge whilst he is at nursery because he'd taking up a place and I am responsible for him.

She went all funny and said its not fair as I can fill my places from 9-12!!!!! And we will have to sit down and talk as she's not happy.

I explained that I am happy to offer the 15 hrs here as he's very happy, gets on with others, like coming etc.

Should I stick by my chargers or reduce them as he's full time?
    Do people charge whilst children are at nursery?
    It is of course up to you. I would probably only charge if child was with me before and after nursery. It's another one of these parents who automatically think nurseries are better. LO would probably be better off with you but it's just trying to convince the parents!

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

In your position I would def be charging. You don't already do a nursery run. You are dropping off and collecting. She is choosing not to use you for the funded sessions. Personally I'd be quite put out by her attitude and would let her go if she wants to be like that (but then I'm in a bad mood today)

xxx

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge when children are only in a morning or afternoon session but don't charge if they're there 9-3. I'm accredited as well and all of my 2/3 year olds (5 of them) will be in playschool this year (2 siblings will be funded part-time)

Jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a child who is three and attends a per school nursery 8.30-11.30 and I pick him up and have him rest of the day. Parents pay me the full weekly fee. I charge half fee while in preschool for the 3 hours but it still worked out cheaper for parents to pay my weekly fee.
    Children are born with wings we help them to fly.

apr 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for replies, mum rang me this afternoon for a chat, she doesn't see how I can 'teach' whilst looking after babies. I explained the eyfs (not for the first time) and sent lots of parent info (again).She seems happier but would like to observe me for a morning!!!!

Mar 06
    Post Thanks / Like

While I sympathise with your situation & like others would charge a fee (prob50%) while lo at nursery if I was doing drop off & collection, I also feel that Nursery school offers a very different experience to that, that I provide during childminding.
    Yes I can do those activities that lo's do at Nursery but not in the same way. It may be that we just have an amazing Nursery school have and I take it too much for granted that it is the same throughout the country- we are also fortunate enough to have amazing primary & secondary schools too.

mar 92
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge for the child I take to nursery. I explained to the parent that as per our contract I either do full days or half day sessions. I no longer do hourly charges and feel that £30 for a 10 hour day for everything (including some pretty expensive season tickets to wildlife centres etc) is pretty reasonable. If I am dropping off and collecting then I am responsible for that child all day. Indeed if the nursery had to close for the day it would be me keeping the child. If the parent wants to drop off and me collect for a half day £15.00 session thats fine but they then have to understand that there would never be a space for their child during preschool closures as it would (hopefully) be filled with another child wanting half days. I would also levy a pick up charge in this instance as the nursery actually finishes before my afternoon session starts. Also I take the other children to various activities and places. These activities have to be cut short so that I can allow adequate travel time to get back to the nursery. I also offered that if she wanted to use 2 free full day places at nursery I would do pick up and drop offs at the same price as the school children I care for. I offered to help with informing child tax credits that she would be reducing her child care costs. She freaked out at this saying she could not afford a drop in her tax credits. It appears that she wanted the free hours and still get full tax credits. I politely pointed out that would be fraudulent. She understood what I meant but still moans behind my back that I overcharge.

10. Likes lynncjt liked this post