Default first child

Once you was set up with ofsted how long was it till you got first child,

Registered Childminder since
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It took me about 2 months, but I was lucky as the sisters mum is my wife's friend. My first 'proper' mindee took about 3 months from registration. I think there were several reasons why it took a while. I am a male childminder working independently so I had to work harder than most. Also on the run up to Christmas there was little around, straight after I had a few calls. There are also a few childminders where I live.

Don't be despondent if you don't get a mindee straight away. As I say I had to work hard to get noticed. I went to toddler groups, wrote on local parents websites and wrote an article.

Hope this helps

Apr 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Took me about 6 weeks from being registered. Got my first from childcare.co.uk

Jan 07
    Post Thanks / Like

It took me a few month before I got my first child but that was 7 year ago. Things are much easier now with access to child care vacancy websites.
    Have you got any of your own children at pre-school age as a good way of getting work is by attending toddler groups and get chatting to people in your local area. I've got a friend who registered last year and she has had more enquiries for work than i've had in 2 years. I think it depends on the area you live in, she lives near a school with 2 classes for each year and i live in a village with a high amount of stay and home mums/dads and retired grandparents. Get to know your local community really helps I think. Good luck.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been very lucky i get on realky well with other cm's in my local area who are full. They were passing my details out when they got enquiries they couldnt help so i was working within two weeks. Good luck and i hope it goes smoothly :-)

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gail Tracey View Post
    I have been very lucky i get on realky well with other cm's in my local area who are full. They were passing my details out when they got enquiries they couldnt help so i was working within two weeks. Good luck and i hope it goes smoothly :-)
    Yes I've had similar but it took me a few weeks to pluck up the courage to go to our CM group as I had no mindees, but you can go along if registered.

Jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

It took two weeks to get my first mindees who were siblings. I had them for 5 years and they left when the younger one started senior school.
    Children are born with wings we help them to fly.

Post Thanks / Like

I had my 1st already lined up (friend's lo) then another 7mths past until signed my 2nd (another friend's lo) and it was another 3months after that that I signed my 1st 'real' family up. So apart from friends it was 10months.

Mar 06
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a couple lined up prior to registering, but I'd known them for a long time through toddler group / school. Due to my own 3 children & still out at work 3 days a week I was quite limited on numbers and happy to have children for just a few hours as was just childminding 'on my days off' alongside my own children. At the time I didn't see it as a business.