Thinking about becoming a Childminder.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Non childminder member
    a parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thinking about becoming a Childminder.

Hi All,

Im totally new to all this and very confused about it all. Im 23 and my current job position is a Playworker. I only work Term Time so i am trying to find the ins and outs of becoming a childminder for School Holidays.
    I was wondering can anyone guide me in the right direction. I have contacted SCMA and they have sent me out a guide which isnt very helpful. Do i firstly apply with the Care Inspectorate? Is there any funding for new childminders?

If anyone can help at all this would be magic.

Many Thanks.

Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Have a look on your local council's website and search for registering as a childminder. The first thing you'll have to do is attend a briefing meeting run by them which will give you all the info you need and the opportunity to ask any questions you may have. Then you can decide if you want to proceed - they'll tell you the process.

Registered Childminder since
    July 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi I guess from your wording you're in Scotland, the process is slightly different up here.

You do need to apply via your council (I phoned mine), and they will send you out a pack explaining the process. It is actually possible to register without going on the induction course but it is recommended. You do not have to have any other training before registering but would be expected to have completed your First Aid and Safe Guarding training before your first inspection.

Up here you need your PVG (Protecting Vulnerable Groups) scheme which you have to pay for. The best thing though is to contact your council - mine were very helpful and I even got a grant!

If you need more info just contact me - I only registered last July (took about 5 months from first contacting the council)