Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Pre-reg
    Non childminder member
    Pre Reg
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default do you need a food hygiene certificate

Just wondering do you really need A food hygiene certificate I got 4 and they all out of date If you then of course I'll have to look and do it again. In a past life I was a chef long story.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You will need to register with your LA as a food business - and they might ask you to do a course but all LAs have their own rules so you need to check with them first.

My partner is a chef - the children love it when he cooks - not so much when it's my turn

Hth

3. Likes Kevin1964 liked this post
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

By registering with the council food authority they will come round and look at your kitchen. You will need a food hygiene cert to show that you understand about temperatures and storing meats etc.

I did mine online, it wasnt expensive and I got a certificate at the end of it. I had done one previously so it was basically just a refresher and they were pleased when I showed them.

I also have to monitor and write down the fridge temp everyday which is very boring. I note it in my register.
    I had to get a fridge thermometer and they also recommended a food thermometer/probe too to make sure the food is at the correct temp.
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

5. Likes Kevin1964 liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Call your local EHO. They'll tell you the requirements for your location. Also ask them to let you have a copy of "Safer food - better business, for childminders" I think it's also available as a download from the FSA website, but if your EHO can supply it then you save on printing and get a nice folder too.

As a former chef, you'll probably find the guide means you may be doing less food safety admin (eg. you won't be sticking probes everywhere twice a day.) It's also useful as it has some up to date stuff on allergies, etc. and some things which are very specific to feeding babies and young children which you might not have had cause to encounter as a chef.

7. Likes Kevin1964, k1rstie liked this post
    June 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My LA did not ask to see a food hygiene cert however I did do the course and show them I had decided to. I think it looks better and it's easy and cheap enough to do online to.

9. Likes Kevin1964 liked this post
    Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a food hygiene course on the forum, £15 I think, there was a discount at one point, have a look around.

11. Likes Kevin1964 liked this post