What's the latest you'll work (& late pick-up charges)
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What's the latest you'll work (& late pick-up charges)

I've been asked by one of my parents if I'd do a late (7:45pm) pick-up 2 days next week as she's got to go away & her husband doesn't usually get in until this time. I finish at 6pm & have done the odd 6:30 on occasion & charge for the full hour but am unsure whether to agree & if so what to charge. My kids go to bed at 7:45 but my husband would be home by 7pm do in theory I could do it but I'm not sure I want to (but thinking of the extra cash just before Christmas ...)
    Anyone?

Post Thanks / Like

I usually finish about 615-6.30 but would work later if asked but not on a regular basis - I'm getting too old I don't mind helping out of they are stuck, or in an emergency, but wouldn't take a child on that needed picking up any later than I work now!

I don't charge any extra for unsocial hours, but I know lots of cm charge an enhanced rate after a certain time, so I suppose it depends what your contract says!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

It is up to you what you can do and what fits with your family.

having said that I would and indeed have helped parents out on odd occasions if they are stuck. It also depends what the child is like to some extent. If they are going to be winney and screams and are difficult or if they are fairly amenable. If they are the right age and fairly good I think I would do it and offer to give them tea and a bath and get them ready for bed. Again age appropriate I would do a story for all and then let dh put mine to bed and sit quietly with the mindee.

I would charge time and a half for extra time like this.

I think I would also wonder what other options the parents have if you can't do it and that especially as they will be tired it would be better for them to be somewhere they are comfortable.

I always think , with most normal, appreciative parents, times like this add to the goodwill pot and you never know when you may need to ask the parents a favour in changing hours or a day.

4. Likes Bear23, LauraS, bunyip, loocyloo liked this post
    Jun 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    It is up to you what you can do and what fits with your family.

having said that I would and indeed have helped parents out on odd occasions if they are stuck. It also depends what the child is like to some extent. If they are going to be winney and screams and are difficult or if they are fairly amenable. If they are the right age and fairly good I think I would do it and offer to give them tea and a bath and get them ready for bed. Again age appropriate I would do a story for all and then let dh put mine to bed and sit quietly with the mindee.

I would charge time and a half for extra time like this.

I think I would also wonder what other options the parents have if you can't do it and that especially as they will be tired it would be better for them to be somewhere they are comfortable.

I always think , with most normal, appreciative parents, times like this add to the goodwill pot and you never know when you may need to ask the parents a favour in changing hours or a day.
    Exactly this ^

I work til 8 once a fortnight so dont mind late finishes too much, and would definitely do it as an occasional thing - its the beauty of using a childminder rather than a nursery
    Apologies for the random full stops. Phone buttons too small, thumbs too big.

6. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I work till 8pm twice a week, my children are teenagers so not in bed till late and doing their own thing or homework in the evenings , I would normally charge £5 after 6.30pm but I buckled under 'Im a single mum and can't afford it' preasure so do it for normal rate but shes a lovley little baby who is very easy and is a sleep just after 7pm so its not too bad

May 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I have just signed contracts for brother and sister to be here until half 7, each weekday.

It will be a long day, as four out of five days, I start work at 7am, but my assistant will be around to help in the afternoons

I haven't got my own children yet and my boyfriend doesn't arrive home until half 9 during his working days anyway; so to me - it'll keep me occupied. Again though, single parent who couldn't afford extra, so charge the usual hourly rate.

I think it all depends on your person circumstances - plus I am fairly new, so want to work all the time at the mo (which I am sure will change very soon )

Just go with whatever feels best for you xxx

Mar12
    Post Thanks / Like

I've had the odd occasion where parents have asked if i can have he child later than normal which is fine i charge time and a half for this which they all seem fine with last week i wasn't sure what time the one little girl was going to be collected she's 3 and mum had just had a c-section that day hence everyone was at the hospital. Mum sent Pjs with her in the morning and we had a story at 7.30 with my so (DS is 2) then daddy put our little boy to bed and mindee just lay on the sofa and fell asleep whilst i read my book. Dad arrived about 9 and put her straight in the car asleep. Next day turned up with a nice big box of chocolates and a bottle of wine to say thank you. She was as good as god and i didn't mind at all was thinking of the extra money for Christmas. I usually finish at 6.00 but a few times I've done till 8 so this was my latest and i wouldn't do any later than that even tho she was asleep i felt like my whole evening had gone and just wanted to go straight to bed once she'd left.

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I work till 7.30. It is not what i really want, but my little mindee is awesome so will deal with it. I usually charge £3 an hour for my in hour rate, but after hours I charge £3 per half hour. I prefer to use half hours after hours as I feel I need to charge extra for those hours as it is an imposition on me and my family but want to be kind to those parents who need say 1.5 hours rather than 2 hours.

jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I work long hours and since family never know when they are going to pick up, we have agreed that they pay normal rate up to 7pm then £10 per hour, which happens almost every day. So I often earn quite a lot in the evening. It works for me and the child, but I would weigh the pros and cons for you and your family, and would set a really high price though readsonnable, for you to be happy at the end of your day. It is a 2 way thing, and £6 or 7 wouldn't work for me.