Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default iPad for observations?

Does anyone use their ipad/iPhone etc to record observations etc.

I've just downloaded pages and I've made a planning template (I'm very pleased with myself). And I wondered if anyone used it for observations etc.

I'm trying to cut down on paper and streamline how I do things... And since my iPhone is attached to my hand I am trying to utilise it more for work as I'm more likely to do paperwork that way!

So does anyone have any tips for using pages.... And what do you use it for???

Jan 10
    Post Thanks / Like

What is pages ? And is it free ? X
    xxxxxx

feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Pages is a simple word processing document for the apple range. It's not free I paid £6.99.

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

If you down load pages do the tutorial that goes with it I learnt so many cool things to do with it and it has made observation taking so easy. My template lets me add two pics per Ob has places for writing and time/date just looks so much neater than my old written ones. Even better if parents want a copy I can just put on memory stick or email.

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

What do you intend to do with the document when you've done an ob? Can you print from the iPad? Mine only gets used for the net and games so would love to be able to do something useful with it,
    Blessed Be!

feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

If you've got a compatible printer then you can print straight from the ipad/iphone.

I intend emailing them to myself and then saving them on my computer/ and emailing them to parents so they can add their comments. I've just not good at sitting at the laptop doing paperwork...so like you i'm trying to utilize the ipad/iPhone more as I always have that handy and its something I can do while the kids are playing.
    I'm no good at handwriting things as my handwriting is shocking so I prefer to type.
    And I'm trying to go paperfree in the main....!!

7. Likes SamBaker liked this post
    July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Genius! I would never have thought of emailing myself the docs! Thanks, this might help me to keep myobs up to date
    Blessed Be!

feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats what I think too!!!

The Ipad is really handy - so fingers crossed I can make it work!

Post Thanks / Like

I have downloaded the Orbit app and use this with my ipad. It makes doing observations sooooo much quicker:-)

11. Likes Logan, zippy, mr man liked this post
    feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a look at .....but I didn't like it! I prefer to write my own templates and write things how I like...and be in charge of how things are stored. If you know what i mean

Sept 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Linzi
    is there any way you could share a page you designed? On the verge of buying this for my iPhone
    'It's never too late to have a happy childhood' ( Tom Robinson)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by linzi133 View Post
    I had a look at .....but I didn't like it! I prefer to write my own templates and write things how I like...and be in charge of how things are stored. If you know what i mean
    Yep! I used to be like that But now I see learning journeys as a working document. I was spending far to much time making them look 'pretty', time away from my own family. It struck me that the parents were enjoying their weekends with their children while I was busy working on their childs Learning Journeys and my own children were losing out. So now as long as they show what they need to show then it's the quickest possible option for me

Cathy

feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jadavi View Post
    Hi Linzi
    is there any way you could share a page you designed? On the verge of buying this for my iPhone
    ooo...now you're asking!!! This is going to test my technical capabilities!! I'll give it a go!! ha ha

16. Likes jadavi liked this post
    Oct 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cathyd View Post
    Yep! I used to be like that But now I see learning journeys as a working document. I was spending far to much time making them look 'pretty', time away from my own family. It struck me that the parents were enjoying their weekends with their children while I was busy working on their childs Learning Journeys and my own children were losing out. So now as long as they show what they need to show then it's the quickest possible option for me

Cathy
    Cathy, you could of written these words for me

after many, many nights/weekends spent doing learning journal's (far more than I care to remember ) the penny has finally dropped with me that im doing them free of charge for parents while they are chilling out at home......why it took me so long I will never know (i've been doing this job just over 6 years ) perhaps it was because, like you, i always wanted to do beautiful paperwork but then resentment started to really kick in and i've finally seen the light

i too am starting now with orbit.......i do feel a little nervous as it's going to be very different from the way Im currently working BUT all i know is that something has got to change and i see this as a step in the right direction

jo x

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joannetalbot View Post
    Cathy, you could of written these words for me

after many, many nights/weekends spent doing learning journal's (far more than I care to remember ) the penny has finally dropped with me that im doing them free of charge for parents while they are chilling out at home......why it took me so long I will never know (i've been doing this job just over 6 years ) perhaps it was because, like you, i always wanted to do beautiful paperwork but then resentment started to really kick in and i've finally seen the light

i too am starting now with orbit.......i do feel a little nervous as it's going to be very different from the way Im currently working BUT all i know is that something has got to change and i see this as a step in the right direction

jo x
    Ha ha Jo I'm not that much better, it took me 4 years for the penny to drop I think it's like you say, you want to do your best, but then you do start to get resentful.
    Oooh I definitely go for it with Orbit, it's changed by life, sad I know! It takes a few weeks to really get the hang of it, but now obs are a doddle. Mine are all up to date (first time ever I think!) As you can't change the template there's not the option for me to waste time making it look pretty, best decision I ever made

Oct 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cathyd View Post
    Ha ha Jo I'm not that much better, it took me 4 years for the penny to drop I think it's like you say, you want to do your best, but then you do start to get resentful.
    Oooh I definitely go for it with Orbit, it's changed by life, sad I know! It takes a few weeks to really get the hang of it, but now obs are a doddle. Mine are all up to date (first time ever I think!) As you can't change the template there's not the option for me to waste time making it look pretty, best decision I ever made
    thanks Cathy thats really reassuring to hear

my problem is that everything has to be perfect, all of the time, but the downside of that is that I get very little time to myself which has really started to make me miserable so something had to change.

im actually quite excited about starting with orbit....a little apprehensive as im quite regimented in how I do my paperwork but i have to keep an open mind and just go with the flow and eventually i know i'll get the hang of it and be alot happier

also, i LOVE the idea of going paperless as the cost of ink/pogo paper is getting silly and obviously cutting into the very little profit i make

i know im going to have teething problems but from what ive read orbit seem very pro active in working with childminders and already they seem to have alot of people on board (1,000 the last time i looked) which i thought was amazing considering they have only been going 3 ish months !

jo x