Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Finding training so hard

I've been childminding since 2007 and except for my First Aid I've not been on a training course.
    I did my child protection and food hygiene at home. This is because my dh works 90miles away, takes the car to work and I have 2 children and no babysitter.

Now I'm becoming accredited and need to do 'Progress from the start' so I've looked at the training booklet (like I always do) and they are offering 3 dates throughout November.
    Weds 9.30am-12.30am
    Weds 6pm-9pm
    Thurs 9.30am-12.30am

The council offer me £10 to cover costs...WOW
    I work 8-6pm and the 6pm one is a 50min drive away and I have no way of getting there other than taxi which will cost a fortune and no one to watch my two children (dh doesn't arrive home until 7pm)
    The daytime ones I definitely cant do without losing a substantial amount of money and letting down two families.
    Does anyone else find it difficult. I live right on the southern border of the county so travelling to the northern part takes between 50-60mins.

Plus Im becoming accredited for a family I work for, I dont particularly want to lose wages over this.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I go back to my council when they do this and jump up and down until they sort out training for childminders

We have "Inhouse Training" which is funding for us to organise it ourselves!
    Debbie

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Its hard -my oh works a similar distance away and getting to training evenings proves a major challenge sometimes.
    I would ask your oh to have an early finish or holiday day on the evening one - he has plenty of time to organise this ( my oh has a really inflexible job but is still entitled to holiday days!) Or give parents lots of notice and finish at 5 that day - as a 1 off is there another local minder who could have your children for a couple of hours?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I find it hard living in a rural area all my training sessions are a minimum 40 mins drive away and my husband works long hours - hence part of the reason I do this job.

When I became accredited my DW said "parents have to understand you need to do personal development" ha ha ha!! my parents understand nothing of the sort, they really rely on my and I don't like to let them down.

Luckily I have found a few on-line courses I can do (suffolk CC) that add towards to minimum number of hours I am required to do. I still have to attend at least 2 cluster meetings, which I find difficult to get to, but my daughters are now older and I can leave my 15 yo to watch my 10 yo for an hour or two while they wait for my husband.

Look for some E-courses if possible.

I do understand how difficult it can be.