Separation Anxiety advice please xx
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Separation Anxiety advice please xx

Hiya just quickly while my boys have a quick sleep but i am in desperate need of some advice!
    I have been asked to look after a 10 month old baby girl with severe separations anxiety issues, I think stemming from mums worry regarding some quite serious medical problems from when she was little.
    Has anyone got any advice to give me regarding paperwork and proocol when taking on a baby with medical problems or some suggestions on how to tackle the separation anxiety?
    Many thanks everyone xxx

Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi
    I haven't had any experience of dealing with medical issues with mindees before but would go through details with parents throughly.
    Regarding seperation anxiety I would arrange a few hour long settling in sessions with LO before starting , also get Mum to bring LO in her own buggy so that you don't have to physically take her out of Mum's arms and if needs be keep the LO in her buggy for a short time after arriving ( in the playroom with you and the others )I did this recently and it worked really well. Toys and blankets from home work really well too. Also do a home visit if you can too
    Best of luck !

Pipsqueak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Carls View Post
    Hiya just quickly while my boys have a quick sleep but i am in desperate need of some advice!
    I have been asked to look after a 10 month old baby girl with severe separations anxiety issues, I think stemming from mums worry regarding some quite serious medical problems from when she was little.
    Has anyone got any advice to give me regarding paperwork and proocol when taking on a baby with medical problems or some suggestions on how to tackle the separation anxiety?
    Many thanks everyone xxx
    A) paperwork - you do everything you would normally do for any other child
    you ask the parent to introduce you to any health care professionals, keep you updated on the childs condition
    for any special medical procedure requirements you would need special training and I think you need to inform your insurance company

b) sep.anxiety - treat it slowly and consistently from two angles - child and parent

you need to make sure the client is with you on tackling it....
    parent needs to remain upbeat with the child and keep the goodbyes cheerful and brief - explain how you expect handover to go - ie parent comes in, smiling, gives child quick cuddle and cheerful goodbye - and leaves promptly

you will (may) agree to text her in half an hr or so to update

parent could leave something of hers there so the child has something familiar

as many graduated settling in sessions as possible - by graduated I mean parent stays with child,, parent stays for a while with child- gradually reducing the time the parent is there, the child comes on their own for short periods building up time spans
    meet with the parent/child away from your home - perhaps at soft play so the experience is neutral and fun
    go to the childs home so they see you in their environment

with the child you need to be firm, consistent, reassuring
    it will probably be a long hard slog but it can be done

I have succeeded with a 3yr old and her mum!

Post Thanks / Like

Thankyou for your replies! All very helpful and along the lines I was thinking until I realised how serious the parents think this issue is and I have been advised by my DO that I should get our SENCO involved from day one and I need to have risk assessments in place for the other children and a very thorough healthcare plan?
    Any more suggestions???