If an allegation was made against you or your family would you....
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    oct 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default If an allegation was made against you or your family would you....

terminate the care of the child. Just looking over my policy and don't know whether to put in I would terminate the care of the child. My inspector asked me what I would do and I said I would have to do that. But not sure what the implications would be - there is a procedure to follow. Any advice would be much appreciated or any wording would help too.

Thanks a million
    Clorogue

sept 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

You would have to write a report including statements from witnesses, contact local integrated children's services and follow their advice, inform ofsted. You should state that you reserve the right to consider whether you can continue to care for the child if they have made false allegations. I think if the allegation was held you may be closed down by ofsted.
    CWR

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

yes if a very serious false allegation was made i would terminte the care of the child for my own protection.
    i'm not talking about the odd fib (i have had a mindee go home telling mum i hit her, but thankfully mum knew that she was going through a stage of claiming everyone was hitting her and knew that i would never do anything like that).
    Blessed Be!

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kindredspirits View Post
    yes if a very serious false allegation was made i would terminte the care of the child for my own protection. i'm not talking about the odd fib (i have had a mindee go home telling mum i hit her, but thankfully mum knew that she was going through a stage of claiming everyone was hitting her and knew that i would never do anything like that).
    I would have said this too, but them thinking about it, it a parent made this kind of complaint would they still be sending their child?

Oct 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I think usually when they make false allegations it is to get out of paying, often to get out of giving notice, so they probably wouldn't be coming back anyway. But in principle, yes I think I would give notice as the relationship would have broken down.

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tealady View Post
    I would have said this too, but them thinking about it, it a parent made this kind of complaint would they still be sending their child?
    good point!!
    Blessed Be!

oct 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My thought was yes, instantly terminate the care of the child - but going through the right channels I wonder whether they would advise otherwise or tell us to do otherwise - then going against what we had in our policy if you see what I mean.
    Clorogue

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I assume that because an allegation had been made against me by a family, that the family would not be bringing the child back to me rather than me terminating the contract - I don't think I would get a choice

Apr 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it would depend on what the allegation was, how seriously the parents were about the allegation. For example if the child said something to their parents or a 3rd party said something to the parents - it would depend what happened next. If the parents came to me directly to talk about it, this would be different from them making the complaint direct to Ofsted for example. If they were making a complaint direct to Ofsted I would question why a parent would continue to send their child to me if their allegation was so serious that they couldn't speak to me about it and needed to go to a higher power. So my answer to your inspecter would be that it would rather depend on the nature of the allegation and whether there was still a partnership there to work through.
    triangle sandwiches are better than square ones...

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

If a parent made an allegation they would be mad to continue sending their child but would it not work in your favour?

I mean who in all seriousness if they believed that there child is being harmed/bullied/mistreated in any way shape or form would then continue to send them to you for care!? Especially as the situation we are in we are often on our own.

You would have to follow the instructions of Ofsted and your insurance company after you have informed them and I am sure they would be very clear on the individual situation.

I think it would be extremely unlikely I would choose to continue to care for that child for my own protection, (I wouldn't want to put myself in the situation of further allegations) but if I did I would be inviting a relative/fellow childminder round to vouch for my behaviour or something! I'd feel very uncomfortable being left alone with the child.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tealady View Post
    I can't see a parent making that sort of allegation and still sending their child to you but I suppose the allegation might be against another member of your family

Once the trust is gone I don't see how you could work with them anyway

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Jan 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't think of a situation where someone would make an allegation against me and then continue to bring the child.
    If however the allegation was made against my oh or family member then I probably would terminate as there would always be a trust issue and I couldn't have my family being made uncomfortable in their own home.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I say in my procedure that I reserve the right to terminate depending on the individual circumstances.

Hopefully that will cover all eventualities.

Post Thanks / Like

I would have thought that if an allegation was made against ANY member of my family the child would no longer be brought to my setting

oct 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much to you all for your contributions - really helped with reviewing my policy.
    Clorogue