Ofsted class twins as one?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ofsted class twins as one?

This is what a parent has just told me a childminder told her...

To those that are experienced in this... is this right? I didn't think so..
    I thought that ofsted would allow it with a variation under continuity of care? As twins are both under 1 and only allowed 1 child as certificate states.

Your views please.
    Currently not minding

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

You would have to apply to ofsted for a variation, you can't just count them as one child.

Oct 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by snufflepuff View Post
    You would have to apply to ofsted for a variation, you can't just count them as one child.
    That was exactly what i thought i was like huh... did that just get said.
    Currently not minding

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

For twins Ofsted will usually give you a variation to have 2 under 1s, but they would then take up 2 of your EY spaces.

I have heard people say before that twins only take up one space, so it's obviously something that people do believe.

Oct 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    For twins Ofsted will usually give you a variation to have 2 under 1s, but they would then take up 2 of your EY spaces.

I have heard people say before that twins only take up one space, so it's obviously something that people do believe.

I did make clear that as far as i've been trained ofsted do not class twins as one! I explained how a variation would work. Hopefully that's a plus in my book... as it shows i know what i'm talking about and the other minder doesn't?

Largely i only know what i'm going on about because of everyone on here! haha.

So would i be right if i thought where my certificate states i can have 3 under 5's 3 of them can be over 1... they don't have to be 2 under 5 and one under one if hyperthetically i didn't want to take on an under one?
    Currently not minding

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kezzle View Post

So would i be right if i thought where my certificate states i can have 3 under 5's 3 of them can be over 1... they don't have to be 2 under 5 and one under one if hyperthetically i didn't want to take on an under one?
    thats right, as long as all 3 are under 5, it doesn't matter how old they are. but you can only have one under 1yr, however, if you contact ofsted for a variation to have baby twins, as long as you are still in your 3 under 5, then you would be fine.

good luck xxx i've minded several sets of twins, i love it

Oct 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    thats right, as long as all 3 are under 5, it doesn't matter how old they are. but you can only have one under 1yr, however, if you contact ofsted for a variation to have baby twins, as long as you are still in your 3 under 5, then you would be fine.

good luck xxx i've minded several sets of twins, i love it
    ooo someone with twin knowledge... Was it easy to tell them apart? lol.

I'm used to one baby and handing them back to mummy after a few hours! and they were my sisters kids.

I can see me having my hands full if they choose me twins and a 2.5 yr old!

Did the parent provide all nappies and food for them? I've been looking at costs of double buggies as i haven't bought much things untill i knew ages of kids. Can't believe how expensive some can be. I have no idea whats good or not been reading up reviews. I will not be parting with any money untill mums signed the contract though! Gives me a month to get things in order i reckon.
    Currently not minding

May 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 sets of twins - girls 13 months and boy/girl 11 months. I had to get a variation for the younger ones ( I can have 6 under 5 - 3 under 1 with my assistant)

I bought my double and triple buggies off eBay - £47 for twin £ 155 for triple.

Parents provide nappies and baby wipes etc I provide food

I love having them- all my under 5's are under 2- it's busy but I like having then so close in age

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

If you want to take on twins and you already have 2 under 5s Ofsted will usually grant a Variation for this on grounds of continuity of care as long as you demonstrate you have all the required equipment and can care for 4 children.

Oct 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    If you want to take on twins and you already have 2 under 5s Ofsted will usually grant a Variation for this on grounds of continuity of care as long as you demonstrate you have all the required equipment and can care for 4 children.
    I've had a look at the variation form in the free resources section. It seems like it should be easily enough granted. Currently i have hardly any equipment but hats because i've had no interest untill now so didnt know the ages of children that may come to me. But its nothing i can't run down to the shop for! Or ebay. mums coming this evening on her own! I have nooo idea what to ask her! She was really keen to see me as quickly as possible so im going to just answer all her questions
    Currently not minding

Oct 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I met mum today and she was lovely! And she said she loved my website

Really happy, I think It's between me and a nanny. *fingers crossed*
    Currently not minding

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kezzle View Post
    I've had a look at the variation form in the free resources section. It seems like it should be easily enough granted. Currently i have hardly any equipment but hats because i've had no interest untill now so didnt know the ages of children that may come to me. But its nothing i can't run down to the shop for! Or ebay. mums coming this evening on her own! I have nooo idea what to ask her! She was really keen to see me as quickly as possible so im going to just answer all her questions
    This is a very good site and they deliver super fast. My dh ordered a buggy for me at 8.15am one morning and it was with me by 7.45am the next day

http://www.kiddicare.com/?rw.cm=Goog...reative=644353

Oct 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    This is a very good site and they deliver super fast. My dh ordered a buggy for me at 8.15am one morning and it was with me by 7.45am the next day

http://www.kiddicare.com/?rw.cm=Goog...reative=644353
    Ahh i've seen that site before. If they're super speedy delivery i'll keep them in mind.

I had to resist the urge to buy yet more books i seem to have a childrens book addiction :/

Mum said she has a buggy and asked what equipment i'd need i said buggy would be usefull but any equipment i need i'm willing to buy as a childminder it's whats expected really! She seemed happy with this.
    Currently not minding

Post Thanks / Like

Fingers crossed for you Kezzle

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Oct 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by miffy View Post
    Fingers crossed for you Kezzle

Miffy xx
    Thank you!

Unfortunately she chose the nanny! Pretty gutted. I think it could have been a great family to start off with. But i shall just have to keep looking.
    Currently not minding