Thread: long term plan?

Registered Childminder since
    JAN 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Default long term plan?

hello again everyone!

ok, the long term plan.....what does it look like. when i worked at a nursery it was a long long long piece of paper which covered an 18 month period of time with the themes we were going to be doing and which 'stepping stones' we will cover under each topic plus any other event, celebrations etc!

now i asked a friend, who used to be a manager of a nursery and she just had a spider chart with links from the middle saying things like xmas and then some activitys that she would do to cover xmas. much less detail than one i have seen.

so, what do i need to do for my long term plan. im not using themes as i was told that its best not to as my childminded children are both just 2.

thanks xxxx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: long term plan?

I think you've been advised well... under 3s need to have play that follows their interests... not themes.

However, if they show an interest in dinosaurs or the weather, then you will follow this...

And if it turns into what used to be called a theme, then so be it!

Your long term planning ... its all about special occasions, festivals, multicultural celebrations.. things like mothers day, fathers day, Australia day, Chinese New Year... put them on your calendar when you intend to celebrate them and think about some brief planning notes.

Don't do anything in detail yet because you don't know what the children will be interested in by next February!

JAN 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

THANK YOU.

i think i get it now.
    does it need to be on display or in my folder with my weekly plans etc?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Totally up to you!

Nobody ever reads my noticeboard anyway but I usually twitter on about what we're doing next month in my newsletter and put a copy of that on my noticeboard.

JAN 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

my parents dont read mine either...lol!

thanks alot

JAN 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

ok, new question, i have just done my long term plan.
    i put each month down 1 side and under each month i have put a celebration, festival and special events. i then put another box to add the children's birthdays? is that ok?
    do i need to write what/or some of the activitys ill be doing for each celebration/festival/special event, of not?

is there anything else that needs to go on?

sorry for bugging you i jus want to get it right.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zoex View Post
    ok, new question, i have just done my long term plan.
    i put each month down 1 side and under each month i have put a celebration, festival and special events. i then put another box to add the children's birthdays? is that ok?

Sounds perfect to me! Well done!

do i need to write what/or some of the activitys ill be doing for each celebration/festival/special event, of not?

Well.... by next February, John might be interested in role playing so you could visit and set up a Chinese shop or restaurant for Chinese New Year to follow his interests... medium term plans are about having enough ideas in your arsenal of activity ideas to cater for whatever the child enjoys doing at the time.

is there anything else that needs to go on?

I think you've got it covered for long term!

sorry for bugging you i jus want to get it right.
    Hope this helps!

JAN 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

yippe thats great! thats the long term plan crossed off my long list!!!

now im confussed about the med term plan..... i'm not sure what that bit means. i though these were my wekly plans or are they short term

i been reading to that some cm are planning for like a month? i only do a week in advance, so i use the obs carried out this week to plan my weekly plan for next week and so on....mind you i'd prefer to do it for a month( i'd get 3 out of 4 sundays back) lol! how would i do it tho?

you are really helpful sarah. i looked at your website to, it is fab! well done you!!!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thank you!

Ok... medium term plans... well, I don't do them any more...

!!!BUT!!!

I have a folder full of activity ideas, ready to pull out if a child shows an interest in something.

I also have multicultural planning, favourite books, outside play, stuff for seasons etc... all ready to be used.

I suppose if someone wanted to be picky they could call this my medium term planning... does that make sense?

Then...

You can have 3 lots of planning can't you? You can have the day to day stuff, fed from your observations and assessments, using the Eyfs and good practice as a guide... the stuff we all do every day...

AND

You have your outings, visits to friends, toddler groups, picnics out etc...

AND

You have your pre-planned stuff. It's ok if they don't want us to call them themes any more (though I do and will continue to because that's what they are)... well whatever you call them, they are the backbone of your work and whenever there's a dip in play, out they come! They include multicultural festivals and special days from your long term planning.

HOWEVER!

Make them work for the individual child! You know that child, you've done the obs, you've talked to the parents, you're working with anyone remotely interested in the child... so show how you have tailored your planning to meet the child's needs (like the Chinese New Year example above).

It's not complicated.. it's what you will already be doing. You just need to write some of it down.

Job done

JAN 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

ok. thanks sarah, i'll have a go at this folder for activitys as see what i come up with. sorry to kep bugging you. just want it all to make sence. without this forum i dont know where i'd be. i moved house after i registered so i dont have a support childminder anymore and i have tryed alot of times to contact my Network co but they never seem to get back to me.

i am going on the EYFS course this saturday so i hope things will make more sence after that.