SEF question on qualifications
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Default SEF question on qualifications

Hi can someone please clarify for the question on qualifications in SEF it does only relate to childcare ones doesn't it?
    In process of typing up in word before I upload it and just need advice on this one (for the moment)
    Thanks

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry another question here. It asks about quality assurance and as some of you will remember my DO never turns up. Do I write this down or does it look unprofessional and skitty?

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't matter now I have filled it in. Just in case anyone was thinking of passing through any time soon

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mum67 View Post
    It doesn't matter now I have filled it in. Just in case anyone was thinking of passing through any time soon
    Sorry I have only just spotted this
    If you have qualifications not related to childcare I would put them down...why not?

QA...cms in the network were Quality Assured by them...the others were left to find QA elsewhere...at a cost though

At the moment QA is available but maybe expensive...PLA do one but more targeted at preschools
    Also bear in mind that Ofsted are now the 'sole arbitrer' of quality

I will address that part in my SEF too...remember you can edit your SEF anytime and submit

I hope Ofsted will realise the current version is a bit outdated and a simpler one would be most welcome...thanks for this Mum67 because I have added it to the agenda for Ofsted Big Conversation

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your reply Simona, I have a DO from quality asssurance early years, so I take it from what you say the SEF is based on the old network childminder quality assurance.
    I have loads of other qualifications outside of childcare and none for childcare so I am glad I can put them in as I think it looks to bare. But I have put my 4 children and 4 grandchildren are plenty of experience.
    The questionaires are just so silly in places at times aren't they.
    Thanks again.

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Mum 67 - remember that the form is primarily for self evaluation ( though an added element of blowing your own trumpet never goes amiss when the inspector reads it!)
    Youre listing a range of qualifications , are they recent. If so youre showing self progression , and building skills and confidence which will benefit the children in your care by.....
    You've completed these 'courses' and have identified that you should now research course with the following content in order to improve childrens outcomes by.......
    If you overload the form with less relevant information the inspector may miss the things that really matter.

The sef is really all about how what you do benefits the children in your care and raises outcomes , so remember to say why you have done or why you're doing things .

7. Likes mum67 liked this post
    Simona Guest

I believe that Part A of the SEF asks:
    '' to outline any specific issues that aid or prevent the smooth running of your setting such as recent training attended or any qualifications gained''

Further down ....in Section 2....it also asks if we are part of a QA... so CMs can respond to this anyway they like or interpret it ...telling it as it is which is that at the mo it's rather confusing who is doing this bit for CMs?

For instance in the past LAs used to QA CMs who were in the network ...however...ncma had a QA we could do via them if you were not a network cm...which we then renewed 3 years later
    It was rather good but has sadly been abandoned ...sorry this is just to give you a bit of history on the subject
    I still have that QA certificate in my portfolio and have no intention of removing it and will continue to mention it in the SEF

With regards to listing qualifications...I personally feel that all are relevant even though they may not be recent ...if they add and contribute to achieving outcomes

The SEF was not very long ago revamped from its original format...as CMs went to update it they found all the previous answers had been automatically moved by Ofsted in different sections
    I believe that the current version needs to be updated again because of the changes that have taken place but at the moment that is what we have

I agree the SEF is a reflective tool ...it is also the means to let the inspector get a feel of who you are before she enters the setting...what your ethos is and much more such as describing the setting in such a way she will know well in advance how it is organized

Good luck Mum67...hope you finish it soon and put your stamp on it!!

9. Likes mum67, hectors house liked this post
    Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks mama2three and Simona your replies have made things much clearer now and I will use the advice when filling in the rest of it.