Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default SEF ... is this behaviour normal?

Hiya, I am due my first grading inspection v shortly (I registered last year but due to circumstances have only just started childminding). Anyway, I've made a start on my SEF, I've filled in bits and bobs (easyish bits) but when I get to the learning and development bit, my eyes start to glaze over and I just sit and stare at the screen with a gormless hazy expression, is this normal? Seriously I am really beginning to panic, it just seems like a minefield, I really don't know where to start ... I worked in an office for 20 years before registering as a childminder and now I feel like Ofsted expect me to be a childcare expert? Do you see where I am coming from? Any tips? xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD :)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: SEF ... is this behaviour normal?

Buy a copy of Sarah Nev's ebook
    Katickles

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

or do what i did and don't do it! lol

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Totally normal behaviour!

It took me absolutely ages to write the e-book because I kept putting it off!

The trick is to take it in bite sized chunks and if you feel you've already answered a question, say so and move on

March09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I highly recommend Sarah Nev's e-book too!!

I have just hit the 'submit' button of my SEF form after 5 long evenings working on it and if it hadn't been for Sarah's book for reference, giving me a nudge in the right direction and keeping me on track with my answers, I too would still be sitting glazed at it all.

THANK YOU SARAH!!

Just hope and pray I've put enough in it to please the Inspector who's due at my door any day now....

Mar 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I used Sarah's ebook - couldnt have done it without her help, and I have 16 years experience as a childminder! I spent many hours staring at a blank screen, but managed to complete it eventually. It did take a couple of months for me to get it right, (I am a bit of a perfectionist!) I was very relieved when I hit the submit button - and Im sure it helped me to get my Outstanding grade.

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=harrysgirl;497239]I highly recommend Sarah Nev's e-book too!!

I have just hit the 'submit' button of my SEF form after 5 long evenings working on it and if it hadn't been for Sarah's book for reference, giving me a nudge in the right direction and keeping me on track with my answers, I too would still be sitting glazed at it all.

THANK YOU SARAH!!

QUOTE]

Can second this - without Sarah's book it would have been so hard and I was a teacher for 12 years!!!!

My inspector said mine was the best example of a SEF that she'd seen and its all thanks to Sarah's e-book - money well spent.

Post Thanks / Like

Just started "tryng" to complete the SEF and decided within minutes that i needed to come on here and look for help and advice.

needless to say sarah, the order for book 18 is in your inbox!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Have to admit to that being totally normal behaviour

Sat here doing mine today (have looked at it loads before, drawn a blank and put the forms away again lol) - and yep I gave in and bought Sarahs book even though I have been childminding for 9 years and was graded outstanding last time. The book was well worth the money and has made my life so much easier - well ive only completed the first section but so far so good....

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I've still not made a start on it properly, its sooo involved. I'm going to buy Sarah's book but waiting for funds to clear in my Paypal account before I order ... aaarrrggg ... its taking ages, said it will clear on the 18th so I've got my fingers crossed that Ofsted don't ring until the week after next!! XX