Section 6 of SEF
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Section 6 of SEF

I'm struggling with section 6 of the SEF (outcomes for children). I've put that i get starting points from Parents, that I assess the children regularly so they don't fall behind etc but what else can I say?!
    All children are "on track" but none are gifted or lagging behind so I'm Not really sure what else I can say.
    I consider the outcomes of the children to be good because I would spot any gaps/issues through ongoing observations and assessments but then I'm stumped! So I only have a sentence or two!
    Also do I get downgraded if children are just "on track", lots of ofsted reports state that children make excellent progress but what if they are just " on track"?

Any help would be really appreciated!! :-)

Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm sure I've suggested Sarahs ebook on SEf before.

it really is helpful, as are the 'help' guides along side when you are writing sef/looking at sef online.

my section 6 is quite short. Everytime I update my SEF, I just add the date and then whatever I write, so that the inspector can see how things are changing/working. I just say that I observe/assess/track and pick up any gaps and work on them, and then a few ideas about how I might do that and share with parents/other professionals. Just because you are assessing them, doesn't mean they won't fall behind, it just means you will pick up any gaps promptly.

3. Likes sarah707 liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Outcomes for Children

They are cared for in a clean and Risk Assessed Home which keeps them safe from harm and danger.

They have almost one to one care with one carer giving continuity of care, you are not going to leave and be replaced.

You are ideally placed to get to know each child and their family very well and so are able to follow their individual interests and meet individual needs, like dietary, or a child with additional medical or physical needs.

As a result you are able to nurture the children, build confidence, offer individual learning experiences, go out and about in their local area so they become familiar with their local community, have a good deal of fun, learn about the world around them, they are mixing with different age children and learning to co operate, share and communicate with them.

The children in your care therefore develop and usually meet their expected Developmental Goals, something they all do at a different pace which you can cater for. You are also able to identify if this isn't happening and so speak to the parents and discuss a suitable way forward. You use Development Maters as a reference document.

The children in your care should be having fun, have access to a wide variety of resources and activities and above all have fun learning.

I take lots of photos to share with the parents so they can see how their child is progressing and what they do and where we go.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    Also do I get downgraded if children are just "on track", lots of ofsted reports state that children make excellent progress but what if they are just " on track"?

Any help would be really appreciated!! :-)
    My inspector did pull me up as the child she was tracking didn't show 'rapid progress'. He's been with me for 4 years, struggles to learn, but has shown steady and consistent progress over the years. The fact that he's now on track is a pretty major achievement for him. That didn't cut it with her though as she said she expected to see rapid progress. She was particularly harsh though and I would hope most inspectors take a more rounded view.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    I'm sure I've suggested Sarahs ebook on SEf before.

it really is helpful, as are the 'help' guides along side when you are writing sef/looking at sef online.

my section 6 is quite short. Everytime I update my SEF, I just add the date and then whatever I write, so that the inspector can see how things are changing/working. I just say that I observe/assess/track and pick up any gaps and work on them, and then a few ideas about how I might do that and share with parents/other professionals. Just because you are assessing them, doesn't mean they won't fall behind, it just means you will pick up any gaps promptly.
    Thank you Loocyloo!

There is free guidance in the files section of the forum - advice for gold members on Childcare.co.uk - and my e-book

7. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys I'm sat here with Sarah's SEF book would you believe but still struggling, Sarah's got one page of info but I can't pick out anything to talk about other than what I've mentioned! Argh!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    My inspector did pull me up as the child she was tracking didn't show 'rapid progress'. He's been with me for 4 years, struggles to learn, but has shown steady and consistent progress over the years. The fact that he's now on track is a pretty major achievement for him. That didn't cut it with her though as she said she expected to see rapid progress. She was particularly harsh though and I would hope most inspectors take a more rounded view.
    Urgh this is what I'm dreading!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    Outcomes for Children They are cared for in a clean and Risk Assessed Home which keeps them safe from harm and danger. They have almost one to one care with one carer giving continuity of care, you are not going to leave and be replaced. You are ideally placed to get to know each child and their family very well and so are able to follow their individual interests and meet individual needs, like dietary, or a child with additional medical or physical needs. As a result you are able to nurture the children, build confidence, offer individual learning experiences, go out and about in their local area so they become familiar with their local community, have a good deal of fun, learn about the world around them, they are mixing with different age children and learning to co operate, share and communicate with them. The children in your care therefore develop and usually meet their expected Developmental Goals, something they all do at a different pace which you can cater for. You are also able to identify if this isn't happening and so speak to the parents and discuss a suitable way forward. You use Development Maters as a reference document. The children in your care should be having fun, have access to a wide variety of resources and activities and above all have fun learning. I take lots of photos to share with the parents so they can see how their child is progressing and what they do and where we go.
    Thanks rickysmiths :-) X

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It's a very short section - there is hardly anything to write if you have already done a comprehensive SEF - just round up and say how amazing you are at your job and that outcomes for children are stunning with your leadership, management, teaching skills, constant reflection etc etc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    It's a very short section - there is hardly anything to write if you have already done a comprehensive SEF - just round up and say how amazing you are at your job and that outcomes for children are stunning with your leadership, management, teaching skills, constant reflection etc etc
    Haha thanks Sarah! Easy for you to say! ;-) x