LJ's and the SEF
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default LJ's and the SEF

I'm in the process of switching from paper based learning journeys to an online system as a result of reflecting and finding a paper based system wasn't working for me, what section of the SEF (if any?) can i/should I talk about this?

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

How you do your LJ comes under:

'Effectiveness of leadership and management
    This section is about the effectiveness of your leadership and management; or if you are a childminder how well you organise your service.'
    because it is about how you organise your business and it is about partnership working (how parents and others can/will access and contribute to online LJ)

and

'Quality of teaching, learning and assessment
    This section is about the effectiveness of your assessment and teaching mechanisms to ensure that children are showing characteristics of effective learning'
    because LJ includes how you assess children

and

'Outcomes for children
    This section is about the progress of different groups of children from their starting points.'
    because you use the LJ to track this progress and identify this progress.

3. Likes gef918, JCrakers, FloraDora liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    How you do your LJ comes under: 'Effectiveness of leadership and management This section is about the effectiveness of your leadership and management; or if you are a childminder how well you organise your service.' because it is about how you organise your business and it is about partnership working (how parents and others can/will access and contribute to online LJ) and 'Quality of teaching, learning and assessment This section is about the effectiveness of your assessment and teaching mechanisms to ensure that children are showing characteristics of effective learning' because LJ includes how you assess children and 'Outcomes for children This section is about the progress of different groups of children from their starting points.' because you use the LJ to track this progress and identify this progress.
    Thanks moggy so do I mention it in all 3 sections?

This is my problem with the SEF, so may things are relevant to separate sections...

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    Thanks moggy so do I mention it in all 3 sections?

This is my problem with the SEF, so may things are relevant to separate sections...
    Yes, I mention it in relation to the different aspects in each section.
    You can also write 'as mentioned in section ...' or, 'see section ... for information on LJ system', if you want to reduce repetition.

6. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Simona Guest

Just to clarify the OP....all LJs are in the end paper based.
    You choose one that you can upload information online and send to the parents...I assume Tapestry is one example?

If your computer crashes or something happens all the online information would be lost so it is good to have a backed up 'paperbased' copy

There are thousands of providers/cms....including myself...who never chose Tapestry or such like ...it may be worth taking a look at their LJs version and find out that ...theirs too...is online but paper based.

The other important issue to consider is that schools may not be able to receive an online 'transition' progress report...check it with the school your children go to so you know how to send them your assessment.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    You choose one that you can upload information online and send to the parents...I assume Tapestry is one example?

If your computer crashes or something happens all the online information would be lost so it is good to have a backed up 'paperbased' copy

There are thousands of providers/cms....including myself...who never chose Tapestry or such like ...it may be worth taking a look at their LJs version and find out that ...theirs too...is online but paper based.

The other important issue to consider is that schools may not be able to receive an online 'transition' progress report...check it with the school your children go to so you know how to send them your assessment.
    I disagree on the point that all LJ are in the end paper based...
    Mine are not. I am fully 'online' on Tapestry and I do back up a pdf of the LJ time to time 'just in case'. The inspector happily read my LJs online (on my laptop). Parents can download their own pdf at any time and choose to print that if they wish. I can send the LJ pdf to any school or nursery etc if needed and they can choose to print if they wish. So, no paper involved and as far as I can see this is the future for more and more CMers (as well as group settings).

9. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Feb 13
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm online, I use *********

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post

I acknowledge what you are saying Simona, but I do think it comes from a, dare I say, old fashioned , cautionary outlook regarding technology and working with schools.
    If you live in low broadband areas then you probably need to have a back up. But if you are running with the 2016 technology then you are ok.
    There is no way I would not be able to show my LJ online now. I have very reliable high fibre optic, super fast broadband. I have 4g mobile access on my iPad and I phone. I have an iMac and a laptop so I would be very unlucky if the digital world was conspiring against me on the day I am inspected.
    All the schools I liaise with also work digitally. Some use my software so transition is easy.
    It is my experience that schools really only want the final assessment, if you work well with them they have confidence in your assessments so carry on from where you leave off.
    I know that we are in an era of lingering and justifying paper based work, I have been there too so I am speaking from experience but as a fairly new CM I immediately embraced technology and digitally based 'paperwork' because that was my experience in schools. I can tell you, with my education consultants experience, that all schools in my LEA hold information online now , paperwork is becoming dinosaur like.

12. Likes moggy liked this post
    Apr 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi I switched to online for all my paperwork back in 2013 and haven't looked back. It saves so so much of your time. In terms of backing up your work the system I use is very very secure. I don't worry about losing any work. They own their own servers and have invested a lot of money into it. I pay for this online service as its all singing and dancing and looks professional to parents. I would recommend over any of the other options out there :-)

Simona Guest

Thank you for your replies Flora Dora and Moggy

I think that you have misunderstood what I am saying so I leave the last word to you to agree with each other and like your comments.

Unfortunately the fear of technology is not where I am coming from at all...I have often said I devised my own LJs online which is easily printed and turned into an interesting child's Portfolio...not Tapestry or any other online systems which we cannot mention here for comparison.

Strong/weak Broad band is not the issue either as backing up is not just because of weak broadband...also anything online can be printed
    I have no worries about 'losing' backed up systems...sorry that is not my point.

I am also aware of how schools wish to receive transition paperwork and last...but not least...the lingering on paperwork is a bit questionable when I am in favour of cutting superfluous paperwork
    LJs are documentation not paperwork for me.

I would refuse to accept that the way forward is online LJs so a uniform provision from all cms....that is what would happen in an agency so I hope some cms will retain their 'individuality and entrepreneurship' by remaining unique.

often in forums misunderstandings do happen and the English written word is totally different from spoken.

I would be delighted to show you exactly what I mean but I know that will never happen....so I agree to disagree with you on that.

One final issue for me is that I ...and many providers like me...do not produce LJs just for the parents
    they are also for children too ...to celebrate their progress not just for keeping parents in the loop constantly by smart phone each day and each hour.
    Uploading photos all day is also another reason for the online LJs....I had walls covered in children's photos and used them for CoEL...so a bit different there too.

All parents I have dealt with agreed and wanted a 'printed version' of the Portfolio not just the opportunity to upload when they wished

Cms are different and unique and that has to be respected and just because online LJs are all the rage we cannot take away from those who refuse to go down the commercial way...to say it lacks confidence in technology misses the point altogether.
    The same goes for many things that are encouraged about our practice but which are not required at all if a cm can present evidence in a different manner.

Good luck with your system of recording progress
    I respect it works for you as it does to all those who also use it ...maybe worth taking a look at those who do not follow the digital version ...just out of curiosity....you may find it useful.
    Last edited by Simona; 21-02-2016 at 08:56 AM.

15. Likes FloraDora liked this post