Priorities for improvement
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,038
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Priorities for improvement

    Did anyone else struggle with this part of the SEF? Does anyone have any tips, I'm fine filling in the main bits but not sure what to say my priorities for improvement are.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,961
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    I find this is the easier section as I am constantly thinking I need to improve this or that - the tricky bit for me is prioritising which areas I want to improve and not put lots of areas down. I generally concentrate on 3 a year - usually in the areas of learning environment, my professional development and improve progress of children, all of which are interlinked. I have an action plan for my setting and personal improvement. I outline what I do in an area and why I think it needs improving which turns into my success criteria. I then say what I am going to do?- research/read/complete online training/ attend training / improve...observe another setting etc... Who will help me?- LEA advisor/ another good/ outstanding colleague / a training group / parents/children. When I will complete it by? My Success criteria is really what my setting(learning environment) / practise will look like when I have achieved my prioritised improvements and the impact that will have on the children - I link impact with improved progress.

    I really don't want you to take offence but it seems, given the amount of questions you ask in the forum, that perhaps your major priority could be EY training, perhaps play or observation and assessment or learning environment? You could put in your SEF that you take part in an online forum as part of your CPD and that you analysed your contributions and decided that you were going to prioritise .......area? This shows that you are addressing your gaps in knowledge and that you are reflecting on and analysing your own knowledge and skills.
    In my SeF I put a brief outline and refer to my detailed Action Plan. I review this every half term and put a note about how far I have got on the AP, not the SEF. If I complete something quickly I usually add another area to my action plan so it is ongoing.
    Hope this helps.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,857
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I put I find it hard to set goals for improvements because being a lone worker when I see a need for improvement I just get on and dot such as x y and z. In the short term I'm going to do x and y course. The children are particularly interested in x y and z so we are going to make........
    So I didn't write very much at all and to be honest by the time she came I had done those things and had plans for something else (did sef in sept, insoection was end nov)

  4. Likes mumofone liked this post
  5. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,038
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    I find this is the easier section as I am constantly thinking I need to improve this or that - the tricky bit for me is prioritising which areas I want to improve and not put lots of areas down. I generally concentrate on 3 a year - usually in the areas of learning environment, my professional development and improve progress of children, all of which are interlinked. I have an action plan for my setting and personal improvement. I outline what I do in an area and why I think it needs improving which turns into my success criteria. I then say what I am going to do?- research/read/complete online training/ attend training / improve...observe another setting etc... Who will help me?- LEA advisor/ another good/ outstanding colleague / a training group / parents/children. When I will complete it by? My Success criteria is really what my setting(learning environment) / practise will look like when I have achieved my prioritised improvements and the impact that will have on the children - I link impact with improved progress.

    I really don't want you to take offence but it seems, given the amount of questions you ask in the forum, that perhaps your major priority could be EY training, perhaps play or observation and assessment or learning environment? You could put in your SEF that you take part in an online forum as part of your CPD and that you analysed your contributions and decided that you were going to prioritise .......area? This shows that you are addressing your gaps in knowledge and that you are reflecting on and analysing your own knowledge and skills.
    In my SeF I put a brief outline and refer to my detailed Action Plan. I review this every half term and put a note about how far I have got on the AP, not the SEF. If I complete something quickly I usually add another area to my action plan so it is ongoing.
    Hope this helps.
    Ahh Flora, not this again, any sentence that starts in this way is never intended to be very nice now is it? I like asking questions to keep learning....does your ego prevent you asking any yourself I wonder or do you know the answer to everything?

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,038
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blue bear View Post
    I put I find it hard to set goals for improvements because being a lone worker when I see a need for improvement I just get on and dot such as x y and z. In the short term I'm going to do x and y course. The children are particularly interested in x y and z so we are going to make........
    So I didn't write very much at all and to be honest by the time she came I had done those things and had plans for something else (did sef in sept, insoection was end nov)
    Thanks bluebear, this is really helpful....

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7,576
    Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default

    I put things I want to improve ... so any training I want to go on, any resources I want to get, any ideas I have.
    When I have completed those improvements, I put the date by it and add something new!

    At the moment I want to do some more forest school training, but aimed at littlies.
    I want to get some new outside storage. (And reorganise my outdoors)
    I plan to start suggesting a monthly activity relevant to each child when I email monthly invoices.

    Mumofone, I think FloraDoras suggestion that you put some training on your list is a good idea. We all learn by asking questions, and despite having alot of experience and training, I always learn something new when I attend training/do online training.

  8. #7
    Simona Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    I put things I want to improve ... so any training I want to go on, any resources I want to get, any ideas I have.
    When I have completed those improvements, I put the date by it and add something new!

    At the moment I want to do some more forest school training, but aimed at littlies.
    I want to get some new outside storage. (And reorganise my outdoors)
    I plan to start suggesting a monthly activity relevant to each child when I email monthly invoices.

    Mumofone, I think FloraDoras suggestion that you put some training on your list is a good idea. We all learn by asking questions, and despite having alot of experience and training, I always learn something new when I attend training/do online training.
    Are you talking about CPPD Loocyloo?
    I see that document as a very good barometer for identifying what the outcome of a reflection/action has to be? which areas a in need of tackling...if you know what I mean.

    I wonder if inspectors are still looking at CPPD...for agency cms that is a must as they have to complete 16 hours of hands-on training....just a thought that went through my mind!!
    Strange that inspectors concentrate on teaching but not on the journey that took us there and which method we use for it?

    Another thing that bothers me a bit is the word 'improvement'....or should it be something else? I truly cannot imagine using it but the right word escapes me right now
    Last edited by Simona; 12-01-2016 at 10:17 AM.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,038
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Still working on this(!), i think I'm OK for the section of effectiveness of leadership and management and quality of teaching but am struggling with what to put in sections 5 and 6- Personal development, behaviour and welfare, outcomes for children. What kind of things have you put in here?
    Thank you! :-)

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,038
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Can anyone advise what kind of things they have put in sections 5 and 6 of the SEF "Personal development, behaviour and welfare" and "Outcomes for children"? I'm really struggling! Thank you

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7,576
    Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default

    I can't remember what I wrote, but I know Sarah707s ebook on the SEF is very helpful!!!! lots of hints and ideas.

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,961
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    I can't remember what I wrote, but I know Sarah707s ebook on the SEF is very helpful!!!! lots of hints and ideas.
    I totally recommend buying Sarah's e book - it will answer all your questions.

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    suffolk
    Posts
    1,363
    Registered Childminder since
    June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I thought it was good to ask questions on this forum? some times you really no the answer, but doubt yourself working on your own.so keep asking.

  14. Likes mumofone liked this post
  15. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7,576
    Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    I thought it was good to ask questions on this forum? some times you really no the answer, but doubt yourself working on your own.so keep asking.
    It is good to ask and answer questions, but the sef is very personal and one persons answer will be different to someone elses. Thats why i suggested sarahs ebook as it helps lots!

  16. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,961
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    I thought it was good to ask questions on this forum? some times you really no the answer, but doubt yourself working on your own.so keep asking.
    I think it is good to ask questions, but this requires a detailed answer which if I replied what I wrote in mine, which is specific to my setting and my practise, it would be repeating what I learn't from the ebook. Not sure if that would be a copyright issue so I thought it best to sign post where I got help and information from.
    I find when people sign post me to a reliable source it's is also very helpful, so I added my positive view of loocyloo's recommendation.

  17. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,038
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I do have Sarah's e-book already. The areas she recommends covering in each section I had already done anyway so its not exactly what to put in each section (im fine with that) im just struggling with what i can say could be improved upon (i know this personal to each person and their setting). Not sure im explaining myself very well!

  18. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    208
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 13
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    I do have Sarah's e-book already. The areas she recommends covering in each section I had already done anyway so its not exactly what to put in each section (im fine with that) im just struggling with what i can say could be improved upon (i know this personal to each person and their setting). Not sure im explaining myself very well!
    Do you have a QIP or support officer of any kind? We have one in our area and I forwarded my SEF to her for some advice, she was great at pointing things out for me and rewording some of it

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Quick Links and Advertisements

Important Information Links
Some Useful Quick Links
Advertisements

 

You can also find us on:
Priorities for improvement Priorities for improvement Priorities for improvement

We use cookies to make this site as useful as possible. They are small text files placed in your browser to track usage of our site but they don’t tell us who you are.
By continuing to use this site you are consenting to cookies being placed on your computer. Find out more here: Cookies in Use

Childminding Help and the Childminding Forum are part of Childcare.co.uk