SEF help
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: SEF help

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,048
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default SEF help

    I'm writing my SEF and find that I'm listing what I do which I believe to be good(!), but I'm having trouble saying how well I do these things and how it impacts on the children's learning and development. Can anyone give me any pointers or help please?! :-)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    276
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 14
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm watching with interest....I struggle with evaluating myself.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,211
    Registered Childminder since
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    I'm writing my SEF and find that I'm listing what I do which I believe to be good(!), but I'm having trouble saying how well I do these things and how it impacts on the children's learning and development. Can anyone give me any pointers or help please?! :-)
    Can you give us an example?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,048
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sing-low View Post
    Can you give us an example?
    Ok , so far maths teaching in the section "quality of teaching" I've put what resources I have and what we do for maths such as baking and sand and water play, play games such as snakes and ladders, dominoes, I have shape sorter puzzles, abacus's, hopscotch mat in the garden etc etc but this just states what I own and not how it directly benefits the children and their learning which is where I get stuck (maybe because I'm new to childcare I don't know?)...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    In the middle
    Posts
    1,047
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    Ok , so far maths teaching in the section "quality of teaching" I've put what resources I have and what we do for maths such as baking and sand and water play, play games such as snakes and ladders, dominoes, I have shape sorter puzzles, abacus's, hopscotch mat in the garden etc etc but this just states what I own and not how it directly benefits the children and their learning which is where I get stuck (maybe because I'm new to childcare I don't know?)...
    With what you have quoted I would try and make it more personal, without mentioning names. For example you could say that as you played hopscotch with X his mum mentioned how his coordination has improved so much that he how is able to ride his bike without stabilisers (as in hopscotch you do have to be able to balance to hop, skip accurately. Etc). Or you bought the abacus because one of you mindees was playing with it at the childrens centre and you noticed that their interest in numbers has improved. Plus you mentined this to his parents on collection and let them borrow the abacus for the weekend and they may now put it on his xmas list. Or that you recently read in a childcare magazine that weighing flour helps hand to eye coordination plus number recall and recognition (we all know this already but Ofsted need to know you know) so you now do a cooking activity every other day and also have purchased new children's knives so they can be more independent as they chop and peel the vegetables for dinner now. Etc, etc. Lots of reflection and examples of how an activity worked last month for one group of children but through observing a new set you realised that xyz didn't work this time so you will tweak it to suit the new child's needs.

    Others will give you more ideas bit this is generally how my sef reads. Lots of examples at how I have improved individual childrens learning and development through feedback/ideas from their parents and other resources. And yes it will take some time to type it all.

    You have to come across as confident but occassionally mention 'something' didn't work and that you noticed it didn't work and say how you resolved it, or how next time you will do xyz. Relfection, reflection.

  6. Likes mama2three liked this post
  7. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    In the middle
    Posts
    1,047
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MOH View Post
    With what you have quoted I would try and make it more personal, without mentioning names. For example you could say that as you played hopscotch with X his mum mentioned how his coordination has improved so much that he how is able to ride his bike without stabilisers (as in hopscotch you do have to be able to balance to hop, skip accurately. Etc). Or you bought the abacus because one of you mindees was playing with it at the childrens centre and you noticed that their interest in numbers has improved. Plus you mentined this to his parents on collection and let them borrow the abacus for the weekend and they may now put it on his xmas list. Or that you recently read in a childcare magazine that weighing flour helps hand to eye coordination plus number recall and recognition (we all know this already but Ofsted need to know you know) so you now do a cooking activity every other day and also have purchased new children's knives so they can be more independent as they chop and peel the vegetables for dinner now. Etc, etc. Lots of reflection and examples of how an activity worked last month for one group of children but through observing a new set you realised that xyz didn't work this time so you will tweak it to suit the new child's needs.

    Others will give you more ideas bit this is generally how my sef reads. Lots of examples at how I have improved individual childrens learning and development through feedback/ideas from their parents and other resources. And yes it will take some time to type it all.

    You have to come across as confident but occassionally mention 'something' didn't work and that you noticed it didn't work and say how you resolved it, or how next time you will do xyz. Relfection, reflection.
    The examples you use have to be true. Once you start thinking the ideas will come flooding in.

  8. Likes lollipop kid liked this post
 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Quick Links and Advertisements

Important Information Links
Some Useful Quick Links
Advertisements

 

You can also find us on:
SEF help SEF help SEF help

We use cookies to make this site as useful as possible. They are small text files placed in your browser to track usage of our site but they don’t tell us who you are.
By continuing to use this site you are consenting to cookies being placed on your computer. Find out more here: Cookies in Use

Childminding Help and the Childminding Forum are part of Childcare.co.uk