SEF - How long?!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    May 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default SEF - How long?!

Hi! I'm just updating my SEF and am wondering whether I am writing too much. I've done sections 1, 2 and 3 and am already at 12 pages long!! (Word format). Am I writing too much, or is this normal. Its taking me agggggeeeeessss! Any insights greatly appreciated! Thank you! Erin

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mine is long - my friend has a short one - we are both graded the same.

I am quite wordy because we have lots of children every day and I know I'll struggle to say everything I need to tell the inspector... if it's in my SEF I can refer to that!

Write as much as you need to share an overview of who you are and what you do and what makes you amazing

Feb 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Ive just started writing mine on the new version. It's taking me ages and it's really long! I keep adding bits here and there, but I'd rather write more, like Sarah said you can refer to it if you need to.

May 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you!

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine is 22 pages A4 word document, so keep going you are just getting warmed up!

6. Likes BallyH, Maza liked this post
    Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

b
    Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    Mine is 22 pages A4 word document, so keep going you are just getting warmed up!
    Mine was 17 pages at my last inspection, 4.5 years ago, and the Ofsted inspector said it was too long. Imagine what it is now! Write everything in it.

sept 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine is 3 pages and split into the sections the new inspection criteria are covered in. I've just had ofsted and she liked it. She did comment though that I'd put I had high expectations and if I was outstanding I'd have put 'very high.' - so it is worth using some of their outstanding phrases! I did my own because hadn't updated my original and ofsted had locked it online as soon as they phoned to say inspection was happening Mine essentially reads as an ofsted report in which I am amazing

9. Likes Maza liked this post
    Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rachelle View Post
    Mine is 3 pages and split into the sections the new inspection criteria are covered in. I've just had ofsted and she liked it. She did comment though that I'd put I had high expectations and if I was outstanding I'd have put 'very high.' - so it is worth using some of their outstanding phrases! I did my own because hadn't updated my original and ofsted had locked it online as soon as they phoned to say inspection was happening Mine essentially reads as an ofsted report in which I am amazing
    Interesting they locked it after the phone call. They didn't last time. Do you mind me asking how long it was between your inspections?

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we should all write reams and reams so that we drive the inspectors potty when they have to read them all. Then they will be begging their bosses to change it and make it shorter for us next time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rachelle View Post
    Haha fantastic, did she award you an outstanding?

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine was short and half finished....I was inspected 3 weeks ago and hadn't got my head around the new format. She looked though it but it didn't affect my grade that it wasn't finished.

My inspector rang Thurs lunchtime to say she would be with me on the mon-thurs. I didn't want to spend the weekend doing any work so just spent Friday looking through all paperwork, making sure I hadn't missed nay new updates, checking folders etc that I didn't have time to do my SEF properly.
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

sept 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Moh - it was 6 years since my last inspection.

mumofone - no she didn't - but she did give me good for everything -I actually felt it was fair. I have 15 children on my books, only 1 of them is EYFS and only comes 2 afternoons a week, after pre school so my house is much more 'after school' than 'day care.'

15. Likes BallyH liked this post
    Mar 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Phew! I just read this thread and I must admit it's gave me a lot of comfort. I'm taking advantage of having the half term off and updating my SEF, I just finished the first 3 sections and I'm at nearly 5000 words. I'm terrified that they won't read it! O_O I've been doing it for 8 hours today and my other half thinks that I'm potty.

I was worried I was waffling, but if other people have long SEFs then I definitely feel better.

ETA: Also I am so so so grateful for Sarah's SEF guidance! I would be so lost without it, it's such a good prompt.