Sef question
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Sef question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sef question

I'm drafting my SEF in a word document and haven't yet logged into the SEF online, how soon after registering (registered in March) should I log in and put the info in there? I can change it about once in there can't I?

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You can go in and out of your SEF as much as you want and then when you are ready you 'submit' and then it is sent through to Ofsted. You can then edit again as much as you like and then 'submit' again- maybe 6mths later as an update. I do this every 6 months. It is much easier to work on it in Word as on the actual online SEF the boxes keep shrinking down and you have to keep stretching them out to be able to read it all- annoying! But remember any bold, italics, underlines and fancy indent bulletpoints etc do not work on the SEF so keep to basic text and capital letters to highlight things and hyphens for bullet points.

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I also update approx every 6 months but inbetween I have an exercise book where I write little snippets of info that I think I should put into my SEf. It's amazing what I forget until I read it again. I think the SEf is wonderful to show Ofsted what your practise is all about because on inspection day you won't remember or have the time to tell them everything.

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I am doing my first SEF at the moment. Been registered over 5 years and have done my councils quality improvement award but thought i would do the ofsted one this time. Started in word but it won't let me copy and paste. Is this normal? When people are saying they do it in word first do you then type it out on the online sef?

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by samb View Post
    I am doing my first SEF at the moment. Been registered over 5 years and have done my councils quality improvement award but thought i would do the ofsted one this time. Started in word but it won't let me copy and paste. Is this normal? When people are saying they do it in word first do you then type it out on the online sef?
    I've never done it in word. I just always type straight in the sef document itself. But after every other sentence I press 'save' then continue writing then press 'save' again. It timed out on me once, although many moons ago, and I lost the entry I was typing but not the whole document. I also press submit everytime I have updated an entry in it. Initially I didn't want to press 'submit' as I thought Ofsted would read every little update and I had lots more to say but I'm pretty sure they don't have the time. Think, if we're lucky, they'll read it just before our inspection and not the 3/4/5 years of updates in between inspections.
    Hope this helps.

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks MOH yes I have started to do that too... Although not pressed submit but saving every few sentences just in case. Just wondered how people have done it in word. If I could have done it then I could have cut parts from the qia I have completed- which seems a lot more in depth than the ofsted anyway. I just like the thought of being a step ahead at inspection and as my last was dec 2010 I am expecting that call in the next few months.

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by samb View Post
    Thanks MOH yes I have started to do that too... Although not pressed submit but saving every few sentences just in case. Just wondered how people have done it in word. If I could have done it then I could have cut parts from the qia I have completed- which seems a lot more in depth than the ofsted anyway. I just like the thought of being a step ahead at inspection and as my last was dec 2010 I am expecting that call in the next few months.
    I'm embarrassed to say I've got very basic pc skills so can't comment on 'cutting & pasting' sorry. But I will say that I think the sef document is very important. Like you I'm also due an inspection as my last one was feb 11. At that inspection the inspector said my sef was very long but she wrote on my report 'rigorous and exceptionally thoughtful self evaluation & monitoring of all aspects of provision' (just looked it up). So please keep typing away. Having said that I'm concerned about this inspection as the 'bar for my current grade' is way too high now. Ah well, I can only try but I'm worried. Best of luck when you get the call.