New SEF for new inspection framework?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    117
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default New SEF for new inspection framework?

    Just as the title says really, is there a new SEF which reflects the new inspection framework? I've had a look but can't find one.

    All advice appreciated!

  2. #2
    Simona Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MaffAnna View Post
    Just as the title says really, is there a new SEF which reflects the new inspection framework? I've had a look but can't find one.

    All advice appreciated!
    At the London OBC Ofsted did tell us that the SEF would be updated to reflect the new inspection framework
    When...they did not say...we are less than 2 weeks' away from the CIF coming in and waiting for the powers to be to get their act together as the SEF sections need tweaking

    Keep your eyes and ears open as I am sure there will be a flurry of new publications soon
    Also it is August and DfE are still in holiday mode while Ofsted is busy retraining all inspectors on the CIF

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    117
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thanks for the reply Simona. I guess I'll just get on with updating the old one!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    at my computer, of course
    Posts
    4,986
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    At the London OBC Ofsted did tell us that the SEF would be updated to reflect the new inspection framework
    When...they did not say...we are less than 2 weeks' away from the CIF coming in and waiting for the powers to be to get their act together as the SEF sections need tweaking

    Keep your eyes and ears open as I am sure there will be a flurry of new publications soon
    Also it is August and DfE are still in holiday mode while Ofsted is busy retraining all inspectors on the CIF
    Simona:-

    Out of interest, are we still officially on the version of the SEF as published October 2013 (Ofsted document reference: 120332) ?????

    I have a paper copy kicking around, but have never got as far as doing the online version since my last inspection (had problems with the log-in in any case.)

  5. #5
    Simona Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    Simona:-

    Out of interest, are we still officially on the version of the SEF as published October 2013 (Ofsted document reference: 120332) ?????

    I have a paper copy kicking around, but have never got as far as doing the online version since my last inspection (had problems with the log-in in any case.)
    My understanding is ...yes...use the current one until we get the updated version.
    I have tweeted to Ofsted the SEF needs updating...if I hear I will let you know as I sent that tweet yesterday.
    Ofsted are busy reminding us of the CIF but both SEF and EYFS are in need of a review.

    I would guess the sections will be re titled to cover the new areas of judgement and emphasis on blooming teaching!
    Why are you having problems logging in...that should have been solved by Ofsted now?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    at my computer, of course
    Posts
    4,986
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    My understanding is ...yes...use the current one until we get the updated version.
    I have tweeted to Ofsted the SEF needs updating...if I hear I will let you know as I sent that tweet yesterday.
    Ofsted are busy reminding us of the CIF but both SEF and EYFS are in need of a review.

    I would guess the sections will be re titled to cover the new areas of judgement and emphasis on blooming teaching!
    Why are you having problems logging in...that should have been solved by Ofsted now?
    Thanks for the information Simona.

    I suspect the log-in problem may well be one of my own snafu's: I probably jotted the log-in details down incorrectly. I understand Ofsted will send me a new log-in on request.

    I've not updated SEF online in absolutely ages. I've always been a bit wary of wasted effort when I know Ofsted are always 'revising' this, that or the other.

    Instead, I have a rough and ready set of SEF-like notes stored in a Word document, to use as the basis of a copy&paste job when required. Even this is in desperate need of updating on my part. I've been a bit lazy about it. Partly because I resent doing something I believe is purely for Ofsted's benefit. Partly because my last inspector said mine was the worst SEF she'd ever seen, but it didn't matter because she'd far rather see how a CM actually works than whether they can make themselves sound good on paper. FOr all my criticism of inspectres, I am the first to admit I got lucky and had a very reasonable and sensible one who was looking to see what I was capable of, and not one of the ones who are looking for every opportunity to find fault.

    Tbh, I have never liked SEF. I don't think it was ever fit for purpose in terms of encouraging reflection and self-improvement. I've never understood how simply describing what I do or what my house looks like/is located does anything to help me reflect and improve. I think it is, was, and probably always will be little more than a time-saver for inspectres.
    Last edited by bunyip; 23-08-2015 at 12:20 PM.

  7. #7
    Simona Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    Thanks for the information Simona.

    I suspect the log-in problem may well be one of my own snafu's: I probably jotted the log-in details down incorrectly. I understand Ofsted will send me a new log-in on request.

    I've not updated SEF online in absolutely ages. I've always been a bit wary of wasted effort when I know Ofsted are always 'revising' this, that or the other.

    Instead, I have a rough and ready set of SEF-like notes stored in a Word document, to use as the basis of a copy&paste job when required. Even this is in desperate need of updating on my part. I've been a bit lazy about it. Partly because I resent doing something I believe is purely for Ofsted's benefit. Partly because my last inspector said mine was the worst SEF she'd ever seen, but it didn't matter because she'd far rather see how a CM actually works than whether they can make themselves sound good on paper. FOr all my criticism of inspectres, I am the first to admit I got lucky and had a very reasonable and sensible one who was looking to see what I was capable of, and not one of the ones who are looking for every opportunity to find fault.

    Tbh, I have never liked SEF. I don't think it was ever fit for purpose in terms of encouraging reflection and self-improvement. I've never understood how simply describing what I do or what my house looks like/is located does anything to help me reflect and improve. I think it is, was, and probably always will be little more than a time-saver for inspectres.
    I don't think many like the SEF....it is too 'directed' at giving Ofsted answers they want....it stifles individuality.
    For many it will be a help if they follow the guidance notes.

    For me The only good point is...if an inspector reads before inspection...it may avoid lengthy interrogation but I read many inspectors don't even do that
    Isn't the only way to log in to enter your unique Gateway number? You can't have done that wrong?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    at my computer, of course
    Posts
    4,986
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    I don't think many like the SEF....it is too 'directed' at giving Ofsted answers they want....it stifles individuality.
    For many it will be a help if they follow the guidance notes.

    For me The only good point is...if an inspector reads before inspection...it may avoid lengthy interrogation but I read many inspectors don't even do that
    Isn't the only way to log in to enter your unique Gateway number? You can't have done that wrong?
    I think this could just be the first time we disagree because you claim I can't possibly be wrong.................when I have been wrong.

  9. #9
    Simona Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    I think this could just be the first time we disagree because you claim I can't possibly be wrong.................when I have been wrong.
    Truce Bunyip...truce!
    Put your glasses on or let Mrs Bunyip enter that number again!
    Don't give me more ammunition to tell Ofsted their online system is rubbish on top of everything else they have messed up!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,784
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    New Ofsted SEF, Pacey magazine Autumn 2015 says 'Ofsted will be transferring the existing content on to a new template over the summer'.

  11. #11
    Simona Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    New Ofsted SEF, Pacey magazine Autumn 2015 says 'Ofsted will be transferring the existing content on to a new template over the summer'.
    Yes...that is exactly what Ofsted said at the OBC ....they will transfer the contents on the new template just like they did the last time they updated the SEF.
    Does anyone know if this has happened by logging in?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    37,494
    Registered Childminder since
    1994
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default

    I looked the other day and nothing was different... I'm sure they will tell us soon enough and there will be the expected chaos as they move our responses to the wrong places!

  13. #13
    Simona Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    I looked the other day and nothing was different... I'm sure they will tell us soon enough and there will be the expected chaos as they move our responses to the wrong places!
    That's one question you can put to Ofsted on your OBC on the 19th September Sarah.
    Surely by then they will have got their act together!...we live in hope

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    at my computer, of course
    Posts
    4,986
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Ofsted:-

    Office
    For
    Simply
    Terrible
    Educational
    Developments


  15. Likes sarah707, lisbet liked this post
  16. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    37,494
    Registered Childminder since
    1994
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    That's one question you can put to Ofsted on your OBC on the 19th September Sarah.
    Surely by then they will have got their act together!...we live in hope
    It has to be done by then surely!!! The new framework starts on 1st Sept and colleagues want to sort out their SEFs with the new questions......................

    But yes it's on my list of things to ask if not - along with 'where is the Eyfs we need with the new information in it?' because the inspection framework has changed so many little things we need an Eyfs to set it all in legislation ........


  17. #16
    Simona Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    It has to be done by then surely!!! The new framework starts on 1st Sept and colleagues want to sort out their SEFs with the new questions......................

    But yes it's on my list of things to ask if not - along with 'where is the Eyfs we need with the new information in it?' because the inspection framework has changed so many little things we need an Eyfs to set it all in legislation ........

    Couldn't agree more...but Ofsted have the habit of leaving things to the last minute

    As for the EYFS that is the DfE's remit...if Wilshaw communicated with Morgan we may get things done.
    Can't imagine how we can be judged on a new inspection framework that is not linked to the statutory EYFS which is...in many sections...rather outdated.

    This is the tweet I sent Ofsted in reply to their regular reminder the CIF is to be implemented soon:

    ‏@signoramac · Aug 22
    @Ofstednews We do #CIF! #SEF needs updating for #EY as does #EYFS which is now outdated #EY #eytalking

    It was sent on Saturday so don't expect a reply until tomorrow...they usually do reply but I will send one to DfE too!

  18. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    at my computer, of course
    Posts
    4,986
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hmmm.......Ofsted don't have the best track record of noticing something has to be done and responding with "hey, well let's jolly do something about it then."

    They're not great on logic either. I well recall a pair of CM friends of mine were inspected in October 2012. The inspectre told them not to expect anything higher than "good" because it would be impossible to demonstrate full compliance with 'new improved' EYFS 2012 only a month after its introduction.

    On asking the obvious question: "then why are you inspecting us now?" they were answered with a curt reply of "because you're on my list."

  19. #18
    Simona Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    Hmmm.......Ofsted don't have the best track record of noticing something has to be done and responding with "hey, well let's jolly do something about it then."

    They're not great on logic either. I well recall a pair of CM friends of mine were inspected in October 2012. The inspectre told them not to expect anything higher than "good" because it would be impossible to demonstrate full compliance with 'new improved' EYFS 2012 only a month after its introduction.

    On asking the obvious question: "then why are you inspecting us now?" they were answered with a curt reply of "because you're on my list."
    And CMs are still on that list...so it will happen again until then current cycle of inspections end in 2016

  20. #19
    Simona Guest

    Default

    Success on receiving a reply from Ofsted regarding updated SEF ...I sent this tweet again this morning

    ‏@signoramac · 3h3 hours ago
    @Ofstednews Do you have a date for the #EY #SEF update to reflect #CIF in September Thank you



    This is their reply:

    Ofsted ‏@Ofstednews · 4 mins4 minutes ago
    @signoramac this should be updated on the website at the start of September

    Fingers crossed everyone...if it doesn't happen then we can take it up again with Ofsted....but please don't shoot the messenger!

  21. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,048
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    Thanks for the information Simona. I suspect the log-in problem may well be one of my own snafu's: I probably jotted the log-in details down incorrectly. I understand Ofsted will send me a new log-in on request. I've not updated SEF online in absolutely ages. I've always been a bit wary of wasted effort when I know Ofsted are always 'revising' this, that or the other. Instead, I have a rough and ready set of SEF-like notes stored in a Word document, to use as the basis of a copy&paste job when required. Even this is in desperate need of updating on my part. I've been a bit lazy about it. Partly because I resent doing something I believe is purely for Ofsted's benefit. Partly because my last inspector said mine was the worst SEF she'd ever seen, but it didn't matter because she'd far rather see how a CM actually works than whether they can make themselves sound good on paper. FOr all my criticism of inspectres, I am the first to admit I got lucky and had a very reasonable and sensible one who was looking to see what I was capable of, and not one of the ones who are looking for every opportunity to find fault. Tbh, I have never liked SEF. I don't think it was ever fit for purpose in terms of encouraging reflection and self-improvement. I've never understood how simply describing what I do or what my house looks like/is located does anything to help me reflect and improve. I think it is, was, and probably always will be little more than a time-saver for inspectres.
    Totally agree with every word bunyip!

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Quick Links and Advertisements

Important Information Links
Some Useful Quick Links
Advertisements

 

You can also find us on:
New SEF for new inspection framework? New SEF for new inspection framework? New SEF for new inspection framework?

We use cookies to make this site as useful as possible. They are small text files placed in your browser to track usage of our site but they don’t tell us who you are.
By continuing to use this site you are consenting to cookies being placed on your computer. Find out more here: Cookies in Use

Childminding Help and the Childminding Forum are part of Childcare.co.uk