Really struggling with self evaluation
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Really struggling with self evaluation

Hi I had my ofsted pre reg visit on Friday, I had no idea what a SEF was I have read a few bits online since, but more confused now. is best to use Ofsted SEF and does anyone know how I can get one. I really have no idea all help advice much appreciated as I haven't started yet x

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Little Duckling View Post
    Hi I had my ofsted pre reg visit on Friday, I had no idea what a SEF was I have read a few bits online since, but more confused now. is best to use Ofsted SEF and does anyone know how I can get one. I really have no idea all help advice much appreciated as I haven't started yet x
    Hi you don't have to do a sef for your pre reg
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

SEF is 'Self Evaluation Form'... you need to be working a while before you can reflect yourself on what you are doing and how you want to improve.

I do my every 6 months- I do the Ofsted online one.

Work for 6 months, keep notes of things you have done to improve over the months, what training you have done, relevant journals you have read etc, note ideas for things to get/do/change, make a wish list for training and resources etc. Then after you have actually been minding for 6 mths or so, have a go at the SEF.
    If you don't get on with the online Ofsted done you can just use your own note book or a diary or anything you like. The advantage of the Ofsted online one is that the inspector can read it before coming out and it covers exactly the areas Ofsted want to know about (but you will not be inspected for years most likely- within 30 months of registration).

jan 95
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never done one. Last inspector was pleased I hadn't as she said she doesn't have time to read them. This time she has said just write some bits up about what i have done since last time etc.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Little Duckling View Post
    Panic not!
    As others have said no need for SEF for your pre reg visit
    It will also be updated soon to reflect the new inspection framework...so wait until then
    Last but not least there are guidance notes you can open when you access your SEF...follow them and they will guide you to what Ofsted need .

The only good thing about the SEF is that inspectors can read it before their inspection and so get a good idea of your practice ...if they don't they are really going to have to ask a lot more questions.

Relax and think about your pre reg visit now