Grading yourself on your SEF
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Grading yourself on your SEF

Where you have to grade yourself in your SEF did your overall grade reflect what you'd put yourself? I'm finding it difficult to not sound big headed but at the same time don't want to mark myself down for areas I think I'm good at!

Registered Childminder since
    Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

I put good all the way through x

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I was questioned why I did not putting outstandings on all sections my SEF!!

What ever you put just make sure you can explain why- don't worry about being bigheaded or not wanting to show-off... it is just between you and the inspector so doesn't matter how you think it may seem to anyone else.

If you put good, be able to say why you are not outstanding yet.

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

First time I out good and told the inspector I just picked the middle one as I'm not good judging myself but I always do my best.

Sept 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I always find this a difficult question- you don't want to grade too high, but don't want down grading if you rate yourself too low . I actually said this to the inspector and told her I based my grade on the time and effort I put into my work ( which is definitely outstanding for all of us!!) I said I hoped she found my practice reflected this.... X

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Evie125 View Post
    I always find this a difficult question- you don't want to grade too high, but don't want down grading if you rate yourself too low . I actually said this to the inspector and told her I based my grade on the time and effort I put into my work ( which is definitely outstanding for all of us!!) I said I hoped she found my practice reflected this.... X
    Thanks Evie, she obviously agreed with you :-)

Simona Guest

Mumofone...you can grade yourself Outstanding if you believe your practice goes 'beyond' what is required...that grade is not being perfect
    And it is not being big headed ...as long as you state the reason and ....as Outstanding you aim to remain so by doing such and such....if the inspector questions you ....give her a good reply and a good reason.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I graded myself outstanding in I think 2 areas, good in the rest as there were things I knew I needed to improve on (1st inspection after childminding 3-4 months), I got good in all areas from the inspector which I was happy with.
    I felt I went above and beyond for the kids when I wrote it all out in my sef, so graded myself as such :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. I'm struggling with identifying what I need to improve on, which I'm worried sounds really big headed but if I knew what to do to improve I feel like id be trying to do it if that makes sense?
    I know I don't provide great outings, I live on a fairly main road so I could/should increase security outside but I'm not sure what else but if purse inspectors find all kinds of things.

Simona Guest

Mumofone...Maybe you could start a CPD log and grade yourself according to the Reflection/Outcomes you have listed on the document? that is something an inspector would like to see...I don't think that has changed?

you have identified one area of improvement already...security = safeguarding ...so you can judge your practice already!

There is no requirement to offer great outings in the EYFS ...just opportunity to access outdoor play
    Don't always think about the inspector's judgement...think of your evidence to her should she find areas for improvement.
    We all started like you...unsure and then gained confidence with experience.