Post Thanks / Like

Default Does anyone not

do a sef ? I have never done one. Wouldn't know where to find it

Registered Childminder since
    Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I started to do one but I didn't really get to grips with it, so I didn't submit it, I'm due an inspection soon as I had a call updating my details during the week and she said they would be in touch, I don't think I will bother trying to do one now there doesn't seem much point x
    Cath

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The SEF shows you continuously self reflect, which is the foundations to improving your practise.
    If you don't have a SEF and your practise is outstanding when observed then perhaps you will be ok, but if the inspector see's issues she/ he may put it down to the fact that there is no evidence of self reflection therefore striving to improve your practise.
    Personally I really don't understand why you wouldn't complete and update your SEF as it as a great opportuniy to tell the inspector about you and your setting and practise, even if you don't manage to put it online they will read it on the day.
    Basically it's a summary of your good practise - easy way to instantly show anyone - saves lots of questions.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...undation-stage

Or on childcare.co.uk Sarah 707 has put on a brilliant article -link in a recent thread too.
    Last edited by FloraDora; 07-06-2015 at 09:04 PM.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

The benefit of doing it online on the Ofsted website is that Ofsted can see it (once you submit it) so if they have any query or concern about you they can see that you are self-reflecting and get an idea of your practice without even contacting you- I don't know for certain that the do this but it makes sense that they do.

The other benefit is your inspector can read it before inspecting you (not guaranteed, but makes it possible) which really helps put your positive words in front of the inspector before they even meet you!

If the online SEF really is something you feel you can not manage, then at least make your own document, or a diary or note book- note things you think of to improve, what you do to improve, how those improvements have helped the children, what your strengths are, where you need support and how you will get that, your training plans, new things that come up (legislation, things like British values etc) and how you will cover them in your setting, what your hopes are for the future of your business etc etc

That will show you are self-reflecting. Without it, as FloraDora said, you are leaving yourself open to Ofsted 'marking you down'- don't give them the chance!

5. Likes FloraDora, lollipop kid liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't do the online one but I do have a CPD folder and I write in that.

xxx

SEPT 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never done a SEF and i've always got a Good grading. I just got asked to write down 3 things im good at and 3 things i needed to improve on. Inspector told me that was fine.

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

I was told by an inspector to jot things down on my work sheet/diary got good.

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

I use the Ofsted SEF, I have it on word document and emailed it across when I had the call. A lot of things she has written in my report, reflect what was in my SEF, and I do believe it made my inspection much shorter. I was a bit of a blimbing mess on my inspection, so I think it must have helped lol!!